经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第690期
日期:2020-11-09 10:14

(单词翻译:单击)

After supper, he began to ask me many questions, of where I had been, what I had been doing, how I had found him out;

晚饭后他开始问我很多问题,我上哪儿去了呀,在干些什么呀,怎么找到他的呀。

but I gave him only very partial replies: it was too late to enter into particulars that night.

不过我回答得很简略,那夜已经太晚,无法细谈了。

Besides, I wished to touch no deep-thrilling chord -- to open no fresh well of emotion in his heart: my sole present aim was to cheer him.

此外,我不想去拨动那剧烈震颤的心弦——不想在他的心田开掘情感的新泉。

Cheered, as I have said, he was: and yet but by fits.

jane-eyre-1400x788.jpg

我眼下的唯一目的是使他高兴。而如我所说他已很高兴,但反复无常。

If a moment's silence broke the conversation, he would turn restless, touch me, then say, "Jane."

要是说话间沉默了一会儿,他会坐立不安,碰碰我,随后说,“简。”

"You are altogether a human being, Jane?

“你是十十足足的人吗,简?

You are certain of that?"

你肯定是这样的吗?”

"I conscientiously believe so, Mr. Rochester."

“我诚恳地相信是这样。罗切斯特先生。”

"Yet how, on this dark and doleful evening, could you so suddenly rise on my lone hearth?

“可是,在这样一个悲哀的黑夜,你怎么会突然出现在我冷落的炉边呢?

I stretched my hand to take a glass of water from a hireling, and it was given me by you:

我伸手从一个佣工那儿取一杯水,结果却是你端上来的。

I asked a question, expecting John's wife to answer me, and your voice spoke at my ear."

我问了个问题,期待着约翰的妻子回答我,我的耳边却响起了你的声音。”

"Because I had come in, in Mary's stead, with the tray."

“因为我替玛丽端着盘子进来了。”

"And there is enchantment in the very hour I am now spending with you.

“我现在与你一起度过的时刻,让人心驰神迷。

Who can tell what a dark, dreary, hopeless life I have dragged on for months past?

谁能料到几个月来我挨过了黑暗、凄凉、无望的生活?

Doing nothing, expecting nothing; merging night in day;

什么也不干,什么也不盼,白天和黑夜不分。

feeling but the sensation of cold when I let the fire go out, of hunger when I forgot to eat:

炉火熄了便感到冷;忘记吃饭便觉得饿。

and then a ceaseless sorrow, and, at times, a very delirium of desire to behold my Jane again.

随后是无穷无尽的哀伤,有时就痴心妄想,希望再见见我的简。

分享到