经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第676期
日期:2020-10-15 09:39

(单词翻译:单击)

"I little thought ever to have seen it!

我从来没有想到会见到这样的事情!

Some say it was a just judgment on him for keeping his first marriage secret, and wanting to take another wife while he had one living:

有人说那不过是对他瞒了第一次婚姻,妻子活着还想再娶的报应。

but I pity him, for my part."

但拿我来讲,我是怜悯他的。”

"You said he was alive?" I exclaimed.

“你说了他还活着?”我叫道。

"Yes, yes: he is alive; but many think he had better he dead."

“是呀,是呀,他还活着。但很多人认为他还是死了的好。”

jane-eyre-1400x788.jpg

"Why? How?" My blood was again running cold.

“为什么?怎么会呢?”我的血又冰冷了。

"Where is he?" I demanded. "Is he in England?"

“他在哪儿?”我问。“在英国吗?”

"Ay -- ay -- he's in England; he can't get out of England, I fancy -- he's a fixture now."

“呵——呵——他是在英国,他没有办法走出英国,我想——现在他是寸步难行了。”

What agony was this!

那是什么病痛呀?

And the man seemed resolved to protract it.

这人似乎决意吞吞吐吐。

"He is stone-blind," he said at last.

“他全瞎了,”他终于说。

"Yes, he is stone-blind, is Mr. Edward."

“是呀,他全瞎了——爱德华先生。”

I had dreaded worse.

我担心更坏的结局,

I had dreaded he was mad.

担心他疯了。

I summoned strength to ask what had caused this calamity.

我鼓足勇气问他造成灾难的原因。

"It was all his own courage, and a body may say, his kindness, in a way, ma'am:

“全是因为他的胆量,你也可以说,因为他的善良,小姐。

he wouldn't leave the house till every one else was out before him.

他要等所有的人在他之前逃出来了才肯离开房子。

分享到