经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第666期
日期:2020-09-23 09:16

(单词翻译:单击)

"How far is Thornfield Hall from here?"

桑菲尔德离这儿有多远?

I asked of the ostler.

我问旅店侍马人。

"Just two miles, ma'am, across the fields."

“穿过田野走两英里就到了,小姐。”

"My journey is closed," I thought to myself.

“我的旅程结束了,”我暗自思忖。

I got out of the coach, gave a box I had into the ostler's charge, to be kept till I called for it;

我跳下马车,把身边的一个盒子交给侍马人保管,回头再来提取,

paid my fare; satisfied the coachman, and was going: the brightening day gleamed on the sign of the inn,

付了车钱,给足了马夫,便启程上路了。黎明的曙光照在旅店的招牌上,

and I read in gilt letters, "The Rochester Arms."

我看到了镀金的字母“罗切斯特纹章”,

My heart leapt up: I was already on my master's very lands.

心便砰砰乱跳,原来我已来到我主人的地界。

md_fedf7a01a12d-jane-2.jpg

It fell again: the thought struck it: --

但转念一想,又心如止水了。

"Your master himself may be beyond the British Channel, for aught you know:

“也许你的主人在英吉利海峡彼岸。

and then, if he is at Thornfield Hall, towards which you hasten, who besides him is there?

况且,就是他在你匆匆前往的桑菲尔德府,除了他还有谁也在那里呢?

His lunatic wife: and you have nothing to do with him: you dare not speak to him or seek his presence.

还有他发了疯的妻子,而你与他毫不相干。你不敢同他说话,或者前去找他。

You have lost your labour -- you had better go no farther," urged the monitor. "

你劳而无功——你还是别再往前走吧,”冥冥中的监视者敦促道。“

Ask information of the people at the inn; they can give you all you seek:

从旅店里的人那里探听一下消息吧,他们会提供你寻觅的一切情况,

they can solve your doubts at once.

立刻解开你的疑团,

Go up to that man, and inquire if Mr. Rochester be at home."

走到那个人跟前去,问问罗切斯特先生在不在家。”

The suggestion was sensible, and yet I could not force myself to act on it.

这个建议很明智,但我无法迫使自己去实施。

I so dreaded a reply that would crush me with despair.

我害怕得到一个让我绝望的回答。

To prolong doubt was to prolong hope.

延长疑虑就是延长希望。

I might yet once more see the Hall under the ray of her star.

我也许能再见一见星光照耀下的府第。

There was the stile before me -- the very fields through which I had hurried, blind, deaf,

我面前还是那道踏阶——还是那片田野,那天早晨我逃离桑菲尔德,急急忙忙穿过这片田野,不顾一切,漫无目的,心烦意乱,

distracted with a revengeful fury tracking and scourging me,

被一种复仇的愤怒跟踪着,痛苦地折磨着。

on the morning I fled from Thornfield:

呵,我还没决定走哪条路,

ere I well knew what course I had resolved to take, I was in the midst of them.

就己置身于这片田野之中了。

分享到