经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第659期
日期:2020-09-11 09:55

(单词翻译:单击)

The inquiry was put in gentle tones: he drew me to him as gently.

这问活的语调很温柔,他同样温柔地把我拉向他。

Oh, that gentleness!

呵,那么温柔!

how far more potent is it than force!

它比强迫要有力得多!

I could resist St. John's wrath: I grew pliant as a reed under his kindness.

我能抵御圣·约翰的愤怒,但面对他的和善,我便像芦苇一般柔顺了。

Yet I knew all the time, if I yielded now, I should not the less be made to repent, some day, of my former rebellion.

但我始终很清楚,要是我现在让步,有一天我照样会对我以前的叛逆感到懊悔。

Rochester-Jane-Eyre.jpg

His nature was not changed by one hour of solemn prayer: it was only elevated.

他的本性并不因为一小时的庄严析祷而改变,只不过升华了而已。

"I could decide if I were but certain," I answered:

“只要有把握,我就能决定,”我回答:

"were I but convinced that it is God's will I should marry you,

“只要能说服我嫁给你确实是上帝的意志,

I could vow to marry you here and now -- come afterwards what would!"

那我此时此刻就可以发誓嫁给你——不管以后会发生什么?”

"My prayers are heard!" ejaculated St. John.

“我的祈祷应验了!”圣·约翰失声叫道。

He pressed his hand firmer on my head, as if he claimed me:

他的手在我头上压得更紧了,仿佛他己经把我要去了。

he surrounded me with his arm, almost as if he loved me

他用胳膊搂住我,几乎像是爱着我

(I say almost -- I knew the difference -- for I had felt what it was to be loved;

(我说“几乎”——我知道这中间的差别——因为我曾感受过被爱的滋味。

but, like him, I had now put love out of the question, and thought only of duty).

但是像他一样,我已把爱置之度外,想的只是职守了)。

I contended with my inward dimness of vision, before which clouds yet rolled.

我在疑云翻滚的内心同不明朗的态度斗争着。

I sincerely, deeply, fervently longed to do what was right; and only that.

我诚恳地、深深地、热切地期望去做对的事情,也只做对的事情。

"Show me, show me the path!"

“给我指点一下——给我指点一下道路吧?”

I entreated of Heaven.

我祈求上苍。

I was excited more than I had ever been; and whether what followed was the effect of excitement the reader shall judge.

我从来没有像现在那么激动过。至于后来发生的事情是不是激动的结果,读者自可判断。

分享到