经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第648期
日期:2020-08-27 10:31

(单词翻译:单击)

I had finished the business now.

这下可完蛋了。

While earnestly wishing to erase from his mind the trace of my former offence,

我原是希望从他的脑海里抹去以前的伤痕,

I had stamped on that tenacious surface another and far deeper impression, I had burnt it in.

却不料在它坚韧的表面上打上了更深的印记,我已经把它烙到里面去了。

"Now you will indeed hate me," I said.

“现在你真的恨我了,”我说,

md_fedf7a01a12d-jane-2.jpg

"It is useless to attempt to conciliate you: I see I have made an eternal enemy of you."

“再要同你和解也没有用了。我知道我已把你变成了永久的敌人。”

A fresh wrong did these words inflict: the worse, because they touched on the truth.

这些话好似雪上加霜,因为触及事实而更加伤人。

That bloodless lip quivered to a temporary spasm.

没有血色的嘴唇抖动着一下子抽搐起来。

I knew the steely ire I had whetted.

我知道我己煽起了钢刀一般的愤怒。

I was heart-wrung.

我心里痛苦不堪。

"You utterly misinterpret my words," I said, at once seizing his hand:

“你完全误解了我的话,”我立刻抓住他的手说,

"I have no intention to grieve or pain you -- indeed, I have not."

“我无意让你难受或痛苦——真的,我没有这个意思。”

Most bitterly he smiled -- most decidedly he withdrew his hand from mine.

他苦笑着——非常坚决地把手抽了回去。

"And now you recall your promise, and will not go to India at all, I presume?"

“我想,现在你收回你的允诺,根本不去印度了,是吗?”

said he, after a considerable pause.

一阵相当长的静默之后他说。

"Yes, I will, as your assistant," I answered.

“不,我要去的,当你的助手,”我回答。

A very long silence succeeded.

接着是一阵很长的沉默。

分享到