公众人物毕业演讲(MP3+字幕)第594期:拉加德2015伊利诺伊理工大学毕业演讲(7)
日期:2020-08-10 11:46

(单词翻译:单击)

And that brings me to my second story -- standing up for your values and principles.
下面是我的第二个故事,关于坚持你的价值观及原则。
It does not always work. Let me give you an example.
并不总是奏效的。我给你们举个例子。
I highly highly respect my fellow human beings.
我非常非常尊重我的人类同胞。
And as a young student, I just could not, and I still to this day, cannot accept the death penalty.
当我是一个年轻学生的时候,我不能,直到今天我也不能接受死刑。
So I decided to go to law school in France and become a criminal lawyer and defend death penalty cases.
因此,我决定去法国的一所法学院,成为一名刑事律师并为死刑案件辩护。
So much for my own values and standing up for them.
我就是如此的坚持并维护我自己的价值观。
And fortunately, in the meantime, a new President was elected in my country.
很幸运的是,就在同时,我的祖国选出了一位新总统。
And his first act was to actually abolish the death penalty.
他的第一个行动就是废除死刑。

拉加德2015伊利诺伊理工大学毕业演讲

As a young lawyer, I interviewed with the best law firm in the country.
作为一名年轻的律师,我参加了全国最好的律师事务所的面试。
I was told that I was hired right away and would be paid a high salary. So far so good.
有人告诉我,我会马上被聘用,薪水也很高。一切都不错。
But then I was told that I would never make partnership.
但之后我被告知永远不会成为合作人。
So I said, why is that?
我就问,问什么呢?
They said, "Well, it's because you're a woman."
他们说,“那是因为你是一名女性。”
So I looked at them fiercely, walked out the door, ran down the stairs, and never looked back.
所以我狠狠地看着他们,走出门,跑下楼梯,再也没有回头。
Actually, I should have said, I should have said "thank you" that day.
其实我那天应该说声谢谢的。
I felt much stronger, much better yet I didn't have a job.
即使没有工作,我也感觉更加坚强,更出色。
In many ways, a situation like that is just inconceivable in today's corporate world.
在当今的企业界,这样的情景在很多方面都是不可想象的。
Any recruiter uttering these words would almost certainly face a discrimination lawsuit. And that is good.
任何说这些话的招聘人员几乎都会面临歧视诉讼。这一点真好。

分享到