经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第635期
日期:2020-08-10 09:18

(单词翻译:单击)

Can I bear the consciousness that every endearment he bestows is a sacrifice made on principle?

我能忍受他所给予的每份爱是对原则的一次牺牲这种意识吗?

No: such a martyrdom would be monstrous.

不,这样的殉道太可怕了。

I will never undergo it.

我决不能承受。

As his sister, I might accompany him -- not as his wife: I will tell him so."

我可以作为他的妹妹,而不是他的妻子来陪伴他,我一定要这么告诉他。”

I looked towards the knoll: there he lay, still as a prostrate column;

我朝土墩望去,他躺在那里,一动不动,像根倒地的柱子。

his face turned to me: his eye beaming watchful and keen.

他的脸朝着我,眼睛闪着警觉锐利的光芒。

无标题.jpg

He started to his feet and approached me.

他猛地立起向我走来。

"I am ready to go to India, if I may go free."

“我准备去印度,要是我可以自由自在地去。”

"Your answer requires a commentary," he said; "it is not clear."

“你的回答需要解释一下,”他说,“不清楚。”

"You have hitherto been my adopted brother -- I, your adopted sister:

“你至今一直是我的义兄,而我是你的义妹。

let us continue as such: you and I had better not marry."

让我们这么过下去吧,你我还是不要结婚好。”

He shook his head.

他摇了摇头。

"Adopted fraternity will not do in this case.

“在这种情况下义兄义妹是行不通的。

If you were my real sister it would be different: I should take you, and seek no wife.

如果你是我的亲妹妹,那便是另外一回事了,我会带着你,而不另找妻子。

But as it is, either our union must be consecrated and sealed by marriage, or it cannot exist:

而现在的情况是,我们的结合要么非得以婚姻来奉献和保证,要么这种结合就不能存在。

practical obstacles oppose themselves to any other plan.

现实的障碍不允许有其他打算。

Do you not see it, Jane?

你难道没有看到这一点吗,简?

Consider a moment -- your strong sense will guide you."

考虑一下吧——你的坚强的理智会引导你。”

分享到