经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第604期
日期:2020-06-28 08:00

(单词翻译:单击)

"You think so now," rejoined St. John,

“你现在是这样想的,”圣·约翰回答,

"because you do not know what it is to possess, nor consequently to enjoy wealth:

“因为你不知道拥有财富或者因此而享受财富是什么滋味;

you cannot form a notion of the importance twenty thousand pounds would give you;

你还不能想象二万英镑会使你怎样变得举足轻重,

of the place it would enable you to take in society; of the prospects it would open to you: you cannot" ----

会使你在社会中获得怎样高的地位,以及会为你开辟怎样广阔的前景。你不能——”

"And you," I interrupted, "cannot at all imagine the craving I have for fraternal and sisterly love.

“而你,”我打断了他,“绝对无法想象我多么渴望兄弟姐妹之情。

I never had a home, I never had brothers or sisters;

我从来没有家,从来没有兄弟或姐妹。

I must and will have them now: you are not reluctant to admit me and own me, are you?"

我现在必须,也不一定要有,你不会不愿接受我承认我,是吗?”

无标题.jpg

"Jane, I will be your brother -- my sisters will be your sisters -- without stipulating for this sacrifice of your just rights."

“简,我会成为你的哥哥——我的妹妹会成为你的姐姐——而不必把牺牲自己的正当权利作为条件。”

"Brother? Yes; at the distance of a thousand leagues! Sisters?

“哥哥?不错,相距一千里路之遥!姐姐们?

Yes; slaving amongst strangers!

不错,为陌生人当牛做马!

I, wealthy -- gorged with gold I never earned and do not merit!

我,家财万贯——装满了我从未挣过,也不配有的金子。

You, penniless! Famous equality and fraternisation!

而你,身无分文!这就是赫赫有名的平等和友爱!

Close union! Intimate attachment!"

多么紧密的团聚:何等亲切的依恋!”

"But, Jane, your aspirations after family ties and domestic happiness may be realised otherwise than by the means you contemplate: you may marry."

“可是,简,你渴望的亲属关系和家庭幸福,可以不通过你所设想的方法来实现。你可以嫁人。”

"Nonsense, again! Marry! I don't want to marry, and never shall marry."

“又胡说八道啦!嫁人!我不想嫁人,永远不嫁。”

分享到