经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第584期
日期:2020-05-28 13:17

(单词翻译:单击)

"You tremble and become flushed whenever Miss Oliver enters the schoolroom."

“无论什么时候,奥利弗小姐一走进教室你就颤抖起来、脸涨得通红。”

Again the surprised expression crossed his face.

他脸上再次浮起惊讶的表情。

He had not imagined that a woman would dare to speak so to a man.

他想象不到一个女人居然敢于这么同一个男人说话。

For me, I felt at home in this sort of discourse.

至于我,这—类交谈我非常习惯。

I could never rest in communication with strong, discreet, and refined minds, whether male or female,

我与很有头脑、言语谨慎、富有教养的人交际的时候,不管是男人还是女人,

till I had passed the outworks of conventional reserve, and crossed the threshold of confidence, and won a place by their heart's very hearthstone.

我非要绕过缄默的传统防卫工事,踏进奥秘的门槛,在心坎的火炉边上找到一个位置才肯罢休。

timg (2).jpg

"You are original," said he, "and not timid.

“你确实见解独到,”他说,“胆子也不小

There is something brave in your spirit, as well as penetrating in your eye;

你的精神中有一种勇气,你的眼睛有一种穿透力,

but allow me to assure you that you partially misinterpret my emotions.

可是请允许我向你保证,你部份误解了我的情感。

You think them more profound and potent than they are.

你把这些情感想象得比实际的要深沉,要强烈。

You give me a larger allowance of sympathy than I have a just claim to.

你给了我甚于我正当要求的同情。

When I colour, and when I shade before Miss Oliver, I do not pity myself.

我在奥利弗小姐面前脸红,颤抖时,我不是怜悯自己,

I scorn the weakness.

而是蔑视我的弱点。

I know it is ignoble: a mere fever of the flesh: not, I declare, the convulsion of the soul.

我知道这并不光彩,它不过是肉体的狂热,我宣布,不是灵魂的抽搐。

That is just as fixed as a rock, firm set in the depths of a restless sea.

那灵魂坚加磐石,牢牢扎在骚动不安的大海深处。

Know me to be what I am -- a cold hard man."

你知道我是怎么个人——一个冷酷无情的人。”

I smiled incredulously.

我怀疑地笑了笑。

"You have taken my confidence by storm," he continued, "and now it is much at your service.

“你用突然袭击的办法掏出了我的心里话,”他继续说,“现在就听任你摆布了,

I am simply, in my original state -- stripped of that blood-bleached robe with which Christianity covers human deformity -- a cold, hard, ambitious man.

剥去用基督教义来掩盖人性缺陷、漂净了血污的袍子,我本是个冷酷无情雄心勃勃的人。

Natural affection only, of all the sentiments, has permanent power over me.

只有各种天生的情感会对我产生永久的力量。

分享到