经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第533期
日期:2020-03-04 13:07

(单词翻译:单击)

"You are very hungry," he said.
“你很饿,”他说。
"I am, sir." It is my way -- it always was my way, by instinct
“是的,先生。”这是我的习惯--向来的习惯,完全是直觉,
ever to meet the brief with brevity, the direct with plainness.
简问简答,直问直说。
"It is well for you that a low fever has forced you to abstain for the last three days:
“幸好三天来的低烧迫使你禁食,
there would have been danger in yielding to the cravings of your appetite at first.
要是一开始便放开肚子吃就危险了。
Now you may eat, though still not immoderately."
现在你可以吃了,不过还是得节制。”
"I trust I shall not eat long at your expense, sir," was my very clumsily-contrived, unpolished answer.
“我相信不会花你的钱吃得很久的,先生,”这是我笨嘴笨舌、粗里粗气的回答。
"No," he said coolly: "when you have indicated to us the residence of your friends,
“不,”他冷冷地说:“等你把朋友的住址告诉我们后,
we can write to them, and you may be restored to home."
我们可以写信给他们,你就又可以回家了。”

经典文学《简·爱》

"That, I must plainly tell you, is out of my power to do; being absolutely without home and friends."
“我得直率地告诉你们,我没有能力这么做,因为我既没有家,也没有朋友。”
The three looked at me, but not distrustfully;
三位都看着我,但并非不信任。
I felt there was no suspicion in their glances: there was more of curiosity.
我觉得他们的眼神里没有怀疑的表情,而更多的是好奇。
I speak particularly of the young ladies.
我尤其指小姐们。
St. John's eyes, though clear enough in a literal sense, in a figurative one were difficult to fathom.
圣·约翰的眼晴表面看来相当明净,但实际上深不可测。
He seemed to use them rather as instruments to search other people's thoughts, than as agents to reveal his own:
他似乎要把它用作探测别人思想的工具,而不是暴露自己内心的窗口。
the which combination of keenness and reserve was considerably more calculated to embarrass than to encourage.
眼神里热情与冷漠的交融,很大程度上不是为了鼓励别人,而是要使人感到窘迫。

分享到