一个为印度160万失学女童赋权的大胆计划
日期:2019-12-16 14:31

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

The world today has many problems.
当今世界有许多问题。
And they're all very complicated and interconnected and difficult.
它们都非常错综复杂并且难以解决。
But there is something we can do.
但是我们依旧可以做些事情。
I believe that girls' education is the closest thing we have to a silver bullet
我相信,对女孩的教育就是我们最需要的灵丹妙药,
to help solve some of the world's most difficult problems.
可以帮助我们解决一些世界上最棘手的问题。
But you don't have to take my word for it.
但各位不必急着相信我的话。
The World Bank says that girls' education is one of the best investments that a country can make.
世界银行说,对一个国家而言,女童教育是最好的投资之一。
It helps to positively impact nine of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals.
它能够积极地影响17个可持续发展目标中的9个目标。
Everything from health, nutrition, employment -- all of these are positively impacted when girls are educated.
一切事情,健康、营养、就业--当女孩们得到教育,所有这些都能被积极地影响。
Additionally, climate scientists have recently rated girls' education at number six out of 80 actions to reverse global warming.
另外,气候科学家最近将女童教育排在逆转全球变暖的80项举措中的第6位。
At number six, it's rated higher than solar panels and electric cars.
这个排名比太阳能板和电动汽车还要高。
And that's because when girls are educated, they have smaller families,
这是因为当女孩们受到教育后,她们组建的家庭变小,
and the resulting reduction in population reduces carbon emissions significantly.
因此导致的人口减少可以极大程度降低碳排放。
But more than that, you know, it's a problem we have to solve once.
另外,这还是一个必须解决的问题。
Because an educated mother is more than twice as likely to educate her children.
因为一个受教育的母亲让孩子接受教育的可能性是未受教育母亲的两倍以上。
Which means that by doing it once, we can close the gender and literacy gap forever.
这意味着一次努力,我们就能永久结束性别和文盲的差距。
I work in India, which has made incredible progress in bringing elementary education for all.
我在印度工作,那里在全民初等教育的方面已经取得了不可思议的进步。
However, we still have four million out-of-school girls, one of the highest in the world.
但是,我们依旧有400万失学女孩,是世界上失学女童人数最多的国家之一。
And girls are out of school because of, obviously poverty, social, cultural factors.
女孩们失学,显然因为贫困,社会和文化因素。
But there's also this underlying factor of mindset.
但也有思维方式的根本性因素。
I have met a girl whose name was Naraaz Nath. Naaraaz means angry.
我遇见过一个叫Naraaz Nath的女孩,“Naraaz”是“生气”的意思。
And when I asked her, "Why is your name 'angry'?"
我问她:“为什么你的名字有‘生气’?”
she said, "Because everybody was so angry when a girl was born."
她说:“因为当出生的是女孩时,每个人都很生气。”
Another girl called Antim Bala, which means the last girl.
另一个女孩叫Antim Bala,意思是“最后一个女孩”。
Because everybody hoped that would be the last girl to be born.
因为每个人都希望这是最后一个女儿。
A girl called Aachuki. It means somebody who has arrived. Not wanted, but arrived.
一个叫Aachuki的女孩,名字是“某人到达”的意思。不是“被需要”,而是“到达”。
And it is this mindset that keeps girls from school or completing their education.
就是这样的维模式让女童们失学,或是无法完成学业。
It's this belief that a goat is an asset and a girl is a liability.
这样的信念认为:羊是资产,女孩是负债。
My organization Educate Girls works to change this.
我的组织“教育女童”旨在改变这个思维模式。
And we work in some of the most difficult, rural, remote and tribal villages.
我们在一些生活条件最艰苦,最偏远的的村庄里工作。
And how do we do it? We first and foremost find young, passionate, educated youth from the same villages.
我们是怎么做的?首先就是要寻找来自同一村庄的年轻、热情,受过教育的年轻人。
Both men and women. And we call them Team Balika, balika just means the girl child,
包括男性和女性。我们叫他们Balika团队,Balika是小女孩的意思,
so this is a team that we are creating for the girl child.
所以这是一个我们为女童创建的小组。
And so once we recruit our community volunteers, we train them, we mentor them, we hand-hold them.
一旦招到了社区志愿者,我们会训练他们,辅导他们,手把手教他们。
That's when our work starts. And the first piece we do is about identifying every single girl who's not going to school.
我们的工作就此展开。第一步就是识别每个失学的女孩的身份。
But the way we do it is a little different and high-tech, at least in my view.
但是我们的方法有一些不同,我们使用了高科技手段,至少在我看来是这样。
Each of our frontline staff have a smartphone.
我们每个前线的员工都有一个智能手机,
It has its own Educate Girls app. And this app has everything that our team needs.
装有我们教育女童组织的app。这个app能满足我们团队所有的工作需要。
It has digital maps of where they're going to be conducting the survey,
它有数字地图功能,可以显示团队将开展调研的地方,
it has the survey in it, all the questions, little guides on how best to conduct the survey,
它存有问卷和所有的问题,还会提供如何进行最佳有效调查的指南,
so that the data that comes to us is in real time and is of good quality.
这样一来,高质量的数据就能够实时地传给我们。
So armed with this, our teams and our volunteers go door-to-door to every single household
有了如此装备,我们团队和志愿者们开始每家每户登门拜访,
to find every single girl who may either we never enrolled or dropped out of school.
去寻找每个从未入学或半路辍学的女孩。
And because we have this data and technology piece, very quickly we can figure out who the girls are and where they are.
因为我们拥有数据技术,很快就能够知道这些女孩的身份和住址。
Because each of our villages are geotagged, and we can actually build that information out very, very quickly.
因为我们每个村庄都有地理标记,我们可以非常非常快地建立那些信息。
And so once we know where the girls are, we actually start the process of bringing them back into school.
一旦我们知道那些女孩的住址,我们就开始了“带她们回学校”的流程。
And that actually is just our community mobilization process, it starts with village meetings, neighborhood meetings,
这就是我们社区动员的过程,开始于乡村会议,社区集会,
and as you see, individual counseling of parents and families, to be able to bring the girls back into school.
还有针对每一个家庭的咨询,来帮助那些女孩回到校园。

一个为印度160万失学女童赋权的大胆计划

And this can take anything from a few weeks to a few months.
这个过程需要几周,甚至几个月的时间。
And once we bring the girls into the school system,
一旦我们让女孩们入学,
we also work with the schools to make sure that schools have all the basic infrastructure
我们也开始了和学校的合作,确保学校能提供所有必需的基础设施,
so that the girls will be able to stay.
让那些女孩们得以留在学校。
And this would include a separate toilet for girls, drinking water, things that will help them to be retained.
其中包括女孩们的独立厕所,饮用水,各种能帮助她们留下的东西。
But all of this would be useless if our children weren't learning.
但如果这些孩子无法学习,那么所有的这一切都将白费。
So we actually run a learning program.
所以我们开展了一个学习项目。
And this is a supplementary learning program, and it's very, very important,
这是配套补充的学习项目,非常,非常重要,
because most of our children are first-generation learners.
因为我们大部分小孩是第一代学习者。
That means there's nobody at home to help them with homework,
这意味着在家没人能够辅导她们的作业,
there's nobody who can support their education. Their parents can't read and write.
没人能支持她们的教育。她们的父母无法读写。
So it's really, really key that we do the support of the learning in the classrooms.
所以,我们能在课堂上支持她们的学习真的非常关键。
So this is essentially our model,
这就是我们整个项目的模型,
in terms of finding, bringing the girls in, making sure that they're staying and learning.
从寻找失学女童,带她们返回校园,到确保她们能够留下并且学习。
And we know that our model works.
我们知道这个模型是有用的。
And we know this because a most recent randomized control evaluation confirms its efficacy.
我们知道,是因为一个最近的随机对照评估证实了模型的有效性。
Our evaluator found that over a three-year period Educate Girls was able to bring back 92 percent of all out-of-school girls back into school.
我们的评估人发现,在三年中,“教育女童”帮助了92%的失学女孩返回校园。
And in terms of learning, our children's learning went up significantly as compared to control schools.
至于学习,我们的孩子们的学习能力相比对照组学校有显著提高。
So much so, that it was like an additional year of schooling for the average student.
这种提高程度相当于是普通学生多了上一年的学。
And that's enormous, when you think about a tribal child who's entering the school system for the first time.
这是一个了不起的成就,想想一个部落女孩,第一次在学校系统中注册。
So here we have a model that works; we know it's scalable, because we are already functioning at 13,000 villages.
我们有一个有效的模型,而且我们知道这是可规模化的,因为我们已经在13000个村庄实行了该项目。
We know it's smart, because of the use of data and technology.
而且在数据和技术的辅助下,我们的方法也是智能的。
We know that it's sustainable and systemic,
我们知道这是可持续且系统化的,
because we work in partnership with the community, it's actually led by the community.
因为我们与社区的合作事实上是由社区主导的。
And we work in partnership with the government, so there's no creation of a parallel delivery system.
我们也和政府合作,因此没有平行运作系统的存在。
And so because we have this innovative partnership with the community, the government, this smart model,
正因为这种和社区、政府之间创新的合作关系和智能模型,
we have this big, audacious dream today.
我们今天才能大胆设想。
And that is to solve a full 40 percent of the problem of out-of-school girls in India in the next five years.
在未来5年,解决40%的印度失学女童问题。
And you're thinking, that's a little...
你可能在想,这个数字并不大...
You know, how am I even thinking about doing that, because India is not a small place, it's a huge country.
然而,如果我告诉你,我甚至在想要如何完成这一目标,因为印度不是一个小地方,而是一个大国。
It's a country of over a billion people. We have 650,000 villages.
它是一个拥有十多亿人口的大国。我们有65万个村庄。
How is it that I'm standing here, saying that one small organization is going to solve a full 40 percent of the problem?
那么我现在站在这里,说我们一个小小的组织将要解决整整40%的问题,你又会作何感想?
And that's because we have a key insight.
这是因为我们有一个关键的洞察。
And that is, because of our entire approach, with data and with technology,
那就是,依靠我们这一整套和数据与技术相结合的方法,
that five percent of villages in India have 40 percent of the out-of-school girls.
我们知道印度5%的村庄有40%的失学女童。
And this is a big, big piece of the puzzle.
这是整个拼图中很大很大的一片。
Which means, I don't have to work across the entire country.
这意味着,我并不需要在整个国家实行该项目。
I have to work in those five percent of the villages, about 35,000 villages,
只要集中精力在那5%,也就是大概35000个村庄,
to actually be able to solve a large piece of the problem.
就能够在实质上解决大部分问题。
And that's really key, because these villages not only have high burden of out-of-school girls,
这真的很关键,因为这些村庄不仅背负着失学女童的重担,
but also a lot of related indicators, right, like malnutrition, stunting, poverty, infant mortality, child marriage.
也同时面临很多相关问题,比如营养不良,生长迟缓,贫困,高婴儿死亡率和童婚。
So by working and focusing here, you can actually create a large multiplier effect across all of these indicators.
那么,通过聚焦工作于此,你实际上也可以在这些问题指标上创造很大的倍数效应。
And it would mean that we would be able to bring back 1.6 million girls back into school.
这就意味着,我们能将160万女孩送进校园。
I have to say, I have been doing this for over a decade,
我想说,我做这件事已经超过十年了,
and I have never met a girl who said to me, you know, "I want to stay at home," "I want to graze the cattle,"
我从来没碰到过一个女孩说“我想呆在家里”,“我想要放牛”,
"I want to look after the siblings," "I want to be a child bride."
“我想要照看弟弟妹妹”,“我想要做儿童新娘”。
Every single girl I meet wants to go to school. And that's what we really want to do.
每一个我遇到的女孩,都想要去学校。而这正是我们真正想要做的。
We want to be able to fulfill those 1.6 million dreams. And it doesn't take much.
我们想帮助那160万女孩完成她们的梦想。这个项目的实施成本并不高。
To find and enroll a girl with our model is about 20 dollars.
利用我们的模型,找到并注册一个女孩的花费只有约20美金。
To make sure that she is learning and providing a learning program, it's another 40 dollars.
确保她在学习并且提供学习项目,只需要再花费40美金。
But today is the time to do it. Because she is truly the biggest asset we have.
但今天就要开始行动了。因为她们确实是我们拥有的最大的资产。
I am Safeena Husain, and I educate girls. Thank you.
我是Safeena Husain,我以教育女童为己任。谢谢。

分享到
重点单词
  • decaden. 十年
  • evaluationn. 估价,评价
  • recruitv. 招募,征兵,吸收(新成员),补充 n. 新兵,新成
  • nutritionn. 营养
  • supplementaryadj. 补充的,附加的
  • approachn. 接近; 途径,方法 v. 靠近,接近,动手处理
  • efficacyn. 功效
  • smartadj. 聪明的,时髦的,漂亮的,敏捷的,轻快的,整洁的
  • cattlen. 牛,家畜,畜牲
  • paralleladj. 平行的,相同的,类似的,并联的 n. 平行线(