经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第438期
日期:2019-09-11 09:52

(单词翻译:单击)

"Oh, Adèle will go to school -- I have settled that already;
“噢,阿黛勒要上学去--我已作了安排。
nor do I mean to torment you with the hideous associations and recollections of Thornfield Hall -- this accursed place
我也无意拿桑菲尔德府可怕的联想和回忆来折磨你--这是个可诅咒的地方
this tent of Achan -- this insolent vault,
这个亚干的营帐--这个傲慢的墓穴,
offering the ghastliness of living death to the light of the open sky
向着明亮开阔的天空,显现出生不如死的鬼相,
this narrow stone hell, with its one real fiend, worse than a legion of such as we imagine.
这个狭窄的石头地狱,一个真正的魔鬼,抵得上我们想象中的一大批。
Jane, you shall not stay here, nor will I.
简,你不要呆在这儿,我也不呆。
I was wrong ever to bring you to Thornfield Hall, knowing as I did how it was haunted.
我明知道桑菲尔德府鬼影憧憧,却把你带到这儿来,这是我的过错。

经典文学《简·爱》

I charged them to conceal from you, before I ever saw you, all knowledge of the curse of the place;
我还没有见你就已责令他们把这个地方的祸害都瞒着你,
merely because I feared Adèle never would have a governess to stay if she knew with what inmate she was housed,
只是因为我怕你一知道与谁同住在一个屋檐下,阿黛勒就找不到肯呆在这里的女教师了。
and my plans would not permit me to remove the maniac elsewhere
而我的计划又不允许我把这疯子迁往别的地方,
though I possess an old house, Ferndean Manor, even more retired and hidden than this,
尽管我拥有一个比这里更幽静,更隐蔽的老房子,叫做芬丁庄园。
where I could have lodged her safely enough,
我是很可以让她安安稳稳地住在那儿的,
had not a scruple about the unhealthiness of the situation, in the heart of a wood, made my conscience recoil from the arrangement.
要不是考虑到那里地处森林中心,环境很不卫生,我良心上羞于作这样的安排。
Probably those damp walls would soon have eased me of her charge:
那里潮湿的墙壁可能会很快从我肩上卸下她这个包皮袱。
but to each villain his own vice; and mine is not a tendency to indirect assassination, even of what I most hate.
不过恶棍种种,恶行各有不同,我的并不在于间接谋杀,即便是对付对我恨之入骨的人。

分享到