经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第426期
日期:2019-08-23 08:11

(单词翻译:单击)

The solicitor addressed me as he descended the stair.
我们下楼时律师对我说:
"You, madam," said he, "are cleared from all blame:
“你,小姐,”他说,“证明完全是无辜的,
your uncle will be glad to hear it -- if, indeed, he should be still living -- when Mr. Mason returns to Madeira."
等梅森先生返回马德拉后,你的叔叔听说是这么回事会很高兴--真的,要是他还活着。”
"My uncle! What of him? Do you know him?"
“我的叔叔!他怎么样?你认识他吗?”
"Mr. Mason does. Mr. Eyre has been the Funchal correspondent of his house for some years.
“梅森先生认识他,几年来爱先生一直与他丰沙尔的家保持通讯联系。
When your uncle received your letter intimating the contemplated union between yourself and Mr. Rochester,
你的叔叔接到你的信,得悉你与罗切斯特先生有意结合时,
Mr. Mason, who was staying at Madeira to recruit his health, on his way back to Jamaica, happened to be with him.
梅森先生正好也在,他是回牙买加的路上,逗留在马德拉群岛疗养的。
Mr. Eyre mentioned the intelligence; for he knew that my client here was acquainted with a gentleman of the name of Rochester.
爱先生提起了这个消息,因为他知道我的一个顾客同一位名叫罗切斯特先生的相熟。
Mr. Mason, astonished and distressed as you may suppose, revealed the real state of matters.
你可以想象,梅森先生既惊讶又难受,便披露了事情的真相。
Your uncle, I am sorry to say, is now on a sick bed;
很遗憾,你的叔叔现在卧病在床,
from which, considering the nature of his disease -- decline -- and the stage it has reached,
考虑到疾病的性质,肺病,以及疾病的程度,
it is unlikely he will ever rise.
他很可能会一病不起。
He could not then hasten to England himself, to extricate you from the snare into which you had fallen,
他不可能亲自赶到英国,把你从掉入的陷井中解救出来,
but he implored Mr. Mason to lose no time in taking steps to prevent the false marriage.
但他恳求梅森先生立即采取措施,阻止这桩诈骗婚姻。

经典文学《简·爱》

He referred him to me for assistance.
他让我帮他的忙。
I used all despatch, and am thankful I was not too late: as you, doubtless, must be also.
我使用了一切公文快信,谢天谢地,总算并不太晚,无疑你也必定有同感。
Were I not morally certain that your uncle will be dead ere you reach Madeira,
要不是我确信你还没赶到马德拉群岛,你的叔叔会去世,
I would advise you to accompany Mr. Mason back;
我会建议你同梅森先生结伴而行。
but as it is, I think you had better remain in England till you can hear further, either from or of Mr. Eyre.
但事情既然如此,你还是留在英国,等你接到他的信或者听到关于他的消息后再说。
Have we anything else to stay for?" he inquired of Mr. Mason.
我们还有什么别的事需要呆着吗?”他问梅西森先生。
"No, no -- let us be gone," was the anxious reply;
“不,没有了,我们走吧,”听者急不可耐地回答。
and without waiting to take leave of Mr. Rochester, they made their exit at the hall door.
他们没有等得及向罗切斯特先生告别,便从大厅门出去了。
The clergyman stayed to exchange a few sentences, either of admonition or reproof, with his haughty parishioner;
牧师呆着同他高傲的教区居民交换了几句劝导或是责备的话,
this duty done, he too departed.
尽了这番责任,也离去了。

分享到