经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第421期
日期:2019-08-14 10:30

(单词翻译:单击)

You say you never heard of a Mrs. Rochester at the house up yonder, Wood;
你说你在府上那一带,从来没有听到过一位叫罗切斯特太太的人,沃德。
but I daresay you have many a time inclined your ear to gossip about the mysterious lunatic kept there under watch and ward.
不过我猜想有很多次你想竖起耳朵,听听关于一个神秘的疯子被看管着的流言。
Some have whispered to you that she is my bastard half-sister: some, my cast-off mistress.
有人已经向你耳语,说她是我同父异母的私生姐姐,有人说她是被我抛弃的情妇。
I now inform you that she is my wife, whom I married fifteen years ago, Bertha Mason by name;
现在我告诉你们,她是我妻子--十五年前我同她结的婚--名字叫伯莎·梅森,
sister of this resolute personage, who is now, with his quivering limbs and white cheeks,
这位铁石心肠的人的姐姐,此刻他四肢打颤,脸色发白,
showing you what a stout heart men may bear.
向你们表示男子汉们的心是多么刚强。
Cheer up, Dick! -- never fear me! -- I'd almost as soon strike a woman as you.
提起劲来,迪克!--别怕我!--我几乎宁愿揍一个女人而不揍你。
Bertha Mason is mad; and she came of a mad family; idiots and maniacs through three generations?
伯莎·梅森是疯子,而且出身于一个疯人家庭--一连三代的白痴和疯子!
Her mother, the Creole, was both a madwoman and a drunkard!
她的母亲,那个克里奥人既是个疯女人,又是个酒鬼!
as I found out after I had wed the daughter: for they were silent on family secrets before.
我是同她的女儿结婚后才发现的,因为以前他们对家庭的秘密守口如瓶。
Bertha, like a dutiful child, copied her parent in both points.
伯莎像是—个百依百顺的孩子,在这两方面承袭了她母亲。

经典文学《简·爱》

I had a charming partner -- pure, wise, modest: you can fancy I was a happy man.
我曾有过一位迷人的伴侣--纯洁、聪明、谦逊。你可能想象我是一个幸福的男人。
I went through rich scenes! Oh! my experience has been heavenly, if you only knew it!
我经历了多么丰富的场面:呵!我的阅历真有趣,要是你们知道就好了!
But I owe you no further explanation.
不过我不再进一步解释了。
Briggs, Wood, Mason, I invite you all to come up to the house and visit Mrs. Poole's patient, and my wife!
布里格斯、沃德、梅森--我邀请你们都上我家去,拜访一下普尔太太的病人,我的妻子!
You shall see what sort of a being I was cheated into espousing,
你们会看到我受骗上当所娶的是怎样一个人,
and judge whether or not I had a right to break the compact, and seek sympathy with something at least human.
评判一下我是不是有权撕毁协议,寻求至少是符合人性的同情。
This girl," he continued, looking at me, "knew no more than you, Wood, of the disgusting secret:
“这位姑娘,”他瞧着我往下说,“沃德,对讨厌的秘密,并不比你们知道得更多。
she thought all was fair and legal and never dreamt she was going to be entrapped into a feigned union with a defrauded wretch,
她认为一切既公平又合法,从来没有想到自己会落入骗婚的圈套,同一个受了骗的可怜虫结亲,
already bound to a bad, mad, and embruted partner! Come all of you -- follow!"
这个可怜虫早已跟一个恶劣、疯狂、没有人性的伴侣结合!来吧,你们都跟我来?”

分享到