(单词翻译:单击)
I cannot see, but I can hear the world around me.
我看不见,但我能听见我周围的世界 。
Meet Brian, he's known as the world's best totally blind mountain biker.
这位是布莱恩,全世界最好的全盲山地自行车车手 。
When I was younger I had functional vision, and I played sports.
我小时候是有功能性视力的,也很喜欢体育 。
I had dreams of becoming a professional athlete.
我的梦想就是成为一名职业运动员 。
And then suddenly when he was 14, he completely lost his sight over the course of three months.
然而,就在14岁那年,他突然就完全失明了,前后不过三个月的时间 。
His optic nerves inexplicably failed, and all he could see was darkness.
他的视神经莫名其妙地失灵了,他的眼前变成了漆黑一片 。
He wasn't able to bike ride or participate in the sports he once enjoyed.
不能骑自行车,也不能参加他以前喜欢的那些运动了 。
I couldn't play hockey; I had to stop roller blading, couldn't read the classroom board anymore.
打不了曲棍球;滑不了旱冰,连黑板也看不见了 。
My world had shrunk.
我的世界坍缩了 。
He had to find a new way to navigate the world.
所以,他必须换一种方法感知周围的世界 。
He found his cane limiting, but when he learned to make a tongue click,
他发现手杖的作用十分限制,但他学会了用口腔发出一种咔嗒声,
his world changed again for the better.
他的世界再次有了希望 。
And it wasn't long until he ventured back outdoors.
没过多久,他就又开始到户外冒险了 。
I really missed bike riding, and I really wanted to be active, I just didn't know how to do it.
我真的很怀念骑自行车的感觉,也很想活得更积极一些,只是我不知道该怎么做 。
As a blind rider it was a goal for me to get off the tandem and have the experience of being able to pilot my own bike.
作为一名盲人车手,我的目标就是摆脱对双人自行车的依赖,自己骑 。
It all starts with a zip tie.
故事还要从一条尼龙扎带说起 。
A sighted person would attach it to their frame and angle into the bike wheel.
一个视力正常的人将一条尼龙扎带绑在他的车架上并与车轮成一定角度 。
The bike wheel would make noise and the sound would follow while we still actively click.
轮子转起来之后尼龙扎带就会发出声音,那个声音就会一直跟着,同时,我们主动用口腔发出咔哒声 。
Eventually, Brian was able to mountian bike alone and without the zip tie.
最终,布莱恩不用扎带都已经能独自骑自行车了 。
When I'm riding my bike down a mountain, it's the same thing bats are using, eco-location.
骑车下山的时候我采用了蝙蝠的回声定位法 。
I can make my active sonar signal by making a tongue click.
我可以用口腔发出的咔哒声作为声呐信号 。
I start off with trying to find the object furthest in the distance and then piece the world together with things closer and closer.
我会从寻找最远的物体开始,然后再用越来越近的东西拼凑出周围环境的情况 。
Brian has to enter an almost meditative state and remain extremely focused.
这时候,布莱恩必须进入一种近乎冥想的状态,同时保持注意力的高度集中 。
Everything has to leave my brain and those sounds are painting a picture in my head-a vivid world of acoustic images.
我必须清空我的大脑,让那些声音在我的脑海中描绘出一幅图画——一幅生动的,用声音描绘出的图画 。
He didn't keep his passion to himself though.
不过,布莱恩并没有把自己的这份热情藏在心里 。
He's helped teach over thousands of people to hear their world a little bigger.
他还帮助了成千上万的人感知更广阔的世界 。
This is a teachable thing. Anybody can do this. And I'm happy to show them.
这种技巧是可以教的 。而且,任何人都能学会 。我很乐意展示给大家 。
Riding my bike was something I never thought I'd be able to do again,
我从未想过,我还能骑自行车,
and now that I'm doing it, it serves as a great example to challenge preconceived ideas.
既然我能够做到,那我的情况应该可以当作一个很好的,挑战先入之见的例子吧 。