经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第383期
日期:2019-05-28 11:16

(单词翻译:单击)

In other people's presence I was, as formerly, deferential and quiet;
别人在场的时候,我照例显得恭敬文雅,
any other line of conduct being uncalled for: it was only in the evening conferences I thus thwarted and afflicted him.
其他举动都没有必要。只有在晚上交谈时,才那么冲撞他,折磨他。
He continued to send for me punctually the moment the clock struck seven;
他仍然那么钟一敲七点便准时把我叫去,
though when I appeared before him now, he had no such honeyed terms as "love" and "darling" on his lips:
不过在他跟前时,他不再满嘴“亲爱的”、“恶毒的精灵”、“宝贝儿”那样的甜蜜称呼了。
the best words at my service were "provoking puppet," "malicious elf," "sprite," "changeling," etc.
用在我身上最好的字眼是“令人恼火的木偶”、“小妖精”、“小傻瓜”等等。
For caresses, too, I now got grimaces; for a pressure of the hand, a pinch on the arm;
如今我得到的不是抚慰,而是鬼脸;不是紧紧握手,而是拧一下胳膊;
for a kiss on the cheek, a severe tweak of the ear.
不是吻一下脸颊,而是使劲拉拉耳朵。
It was all right: at present I decidedly preferred these fierce favours to anything more tender.
这倒不错。眼下我确实更喜欢这种粗野的宠爱,而不喜欢什么温柔的表露。

经典文学《简·爱》

Mrs. Fairfax, I saw, approved me: her anxiety on my account vanished; therefore I was certain I did well.
我发现费尔法克斯太太也赞成,而且已不再为我担忧了,因此我确信自己做得很对。
Meantime, Mr. Rochester affirmed I was wearing him to skin and bone,
与此同时,罗切斯特先生却口口声声说我把他折磨得皮包皮骨头了,
and threatened awful vengeance for my present conduct at some period fast coming.
并威胁在即将到来的某个时期,对我现在的行为狠狠报复。
I laughed in my sleeve at his menaces.
他的恫吓,我暗自觉得好笑。
"I can keep you in reasonable check now," I reflected;
“现在我可以让你受到合乎情理的约束,”我思忖道,
"and I don't doubt to be able to do it hereafter: if one expedient loses its virtue, another must be devised."
“我并不怀疑今后还能这么做,要是一种办法失效了,那就得另外再想出一种来。”
Yet after all my task was not an easy one; often I would rather have pleased than teased him.
然而,我的担子毕竟并不轻松,我总是情愿讨他喜欢而不是捉弄他。
My future husband was becoming to me my whole world; and more than the world: almost my hope of heaven.
我的未婚夫正成为我的整个世界,不仅是整个世界,而且几乎成了我进入天堂的希望。
He stood between me and every thought of religion, as an eclipse intervenes between man and the broad sun.
他把我和一切宗教观念隔开,犹如日蚀把人类和太阳隔开一样。
I could not, in those days, see God for His creature: of whom I had made an idol.
在那些日子里,我把上帝的造物当作了偶像,并因为他,而看不见上帝了。

分享到
重点单词
  • provokingadj. 激怒人的,刺激人的 动词provoke的现在分
  • pinchn. 捏,一撮,少量,困苦,偷窃 vt. 掐,使 ...
  • maliciousadj. 怀恶意的,恶毒的
  • checkn. 检查,支票,账单,制止,阻止物,检验标准,方格图案
  • deferentialadj. 恭敬的
  • expedientadj. 权宜的,有用的 n. 权宜之计,临时手段
  • eclipsen. 日或月食,丧失,没落 vt. 形成日或月食,使 .
  • anxietyn. 焦虑,担心,渴望
  • tenderadj. 温柔的,嫩的,脆弱的 ,亲切的,敏感的,未成熟
  • reasonableadj. 合理的,适度的,通情达理的