(单词翻译:单击)
中英文本
Jim: You know that religion is a taboo subject, especially with Paul. Why were you baiting him all through dinner?
吉姆:你知道的,宗教是禁忌话题,尤其是对保罗而言 。你为何在晚餐时一直逗他?
Tammy: I wasn’t baiting him. We have very different views on spirituality and I wanted to discuss the subject with him.
塔米:我不是逗他 。我们这是对精神世界有不同的见解而已,我只是想跟他探讨一下 。
Jim: You were making disparaging remarks about his faith and some of the things he holds most sacred. I think you were trying to be provocative.
吉姆:你在出言中伤他的信仰以及他最敬畏的东西 。我认为你这就是在挑衅 。
Tammy: I may have said a few things that were provocative, but I don’t understand how people can believe in superstitions.
塔米:或许我的某些话有点偏激,可我就是不理解人们怎么会相信迷信 。
Jim: There you go again! People’s religious beliefs shouldn’t be called superstitions.
吉姆:你又来了!别人的宗教信仰怎么能被称作迷信 。
Tammy: I’m just calling it like I see it. I didn’t know you were such a fundamentalist.
塔米:因为我看到的就是这样 。原来你是个原教旨主义者 。
Jim: I’m not a fundamentalist. In fact, I’m an atheist, or at least an agnostic, but I still try to show respect for other people’s beliefs.
吉姆:我不是原教旨主义者 。事实上,我是无神论者,或者说至少是个不可知论者,但是我还是会尽量尊重别人的宗教信仰 。
Tammy: Beliefs are made to be challenged. If you can’t defend your beliefs, you shouldn’t have them.
塔米:宗教信仰本就应该接受挑战 。如果你捍卫不了自己的信仰,那你有什么资格信奉它们 。
Jim: Ladies and gentlemen, behold the voice of tolerance.
吉姆:女士们,先生们,听听他这自由主义的声音 。
译文属可可原创,仅供学习交流使用,未经许可请勿转载
重点讲解
1.In fact 事实上
In fact, those people have been promoted.
事实上,那些人已经升职了 。
2.show respect for 对...表示尊敬
You have to show respect for their cultural custom.
你必须尊重他们的文化传统 。
3.There you go again 你又来了
There you go again, blaming everything on me!
你又来那一套了,把一切都归咎于我!
4.have different views on 对...有不同看法
Happiness is seeked by everyone, but they have different views on the nature of it.
人人都追求幸福,但人们对幸福实质的认识往往不同 。