英语PK台(MP3+文本) 第909期: 21世纪摩登office
日期:2019-03-29 05:51

(单词翻译:单击)

Dialogue 1
Jingjing: Mark, do you notice anything new about the office?
京晶:马克,你注意到办公室有什么新变化吗?
Mark: The Spring Festival decorations have been taken down. Is that right?
马克:春节的装饰都已经撤下了,对吗?
Jingjing: Um, that was a long time ago. You've been here since then. Guess again.
京晶:嗯,已经撤了很久了。从那之后你一直在这儿呢。再猜猜。
Mark: Hey, new chairs! Yeah, those are really different, and everybody has one.
马克:哦,新椅子!对呢,那些看着真不同,每人都有一把。
Jingjing: Yeah, they're super comfortable. Try one!
京晶:没错,那些超级舒服的,来一把试试!
Mark: Wow, I see what you mean. I feel like I could work all day in one of these. I always liked how your office is full of plants and sunshine, even though it faces the north.
马克:哇哦,我懂你意思了。我觉得自己坐在一把这样的椅子里能工作一整天。我一向很喜欢你办公室满是绿植和阳光的样子,虽然朝北。
Jingjing: Yeah, a lot of offices are cold and depressing, or chaotic. We try to avoid that here.
京晶:是的,很多办公室都是阴冷,令人感觉郁郁寡欢的样子,要不就是乱糟糟的。我们这儿尽量避免弄成那样。
Mark: It's different from the offices where I work.
马克:这里跟我工作的地方非常不一样。
Jingjing: Oh yeah? How so?
京晶:是吗?怎么个不同?
Mark: Well, at one company, we do hot desking. That's because we have fewer desks than people working.
马克:有一个公司,我们采用“办公桌轮用制”。因为我们桌子比人少。
Jingjing: Is that where no one really has their own desk?
京晶:这意思是不是说,没人有属于自己的办公桌?
Mark: That's it. Most people have their work materials on notebook PCs and on cloud. So, it's easy to take an empty desk, work for a while, then leave it clear.
马克:对。大多数都把自己的工作资料放在笔记本电脑里或者云上。所以,找个空座工作一会儿,离开时收拾干净,这样就很容易。
Jingjing: That's the sign of a nimble company. What about the other one?
京晶:这说明这个公司办公灵活。那另一个呢?
Mark: The other office is along a long hallway. Each office is a small room with two or three people who always work there—except the boss: she has an office to herself.
马克:另一个办公室在一条长长的走廊上,每个办公室都是一个小房间,里面有两三个常在此办公的人,除了老板,老板有自己的办公室。
Jingjing: That sounds very traditional.
京晶:这种比较传统。
Mark: Yeah, that second one is ideal for a few solid hours of work. The first one is better for meetings and multitasking.
马克:是的,第二种对每天有固定上班小时数的人来说还是非常理想的。第一种更适合会议和多任务处理。
Jingjing: Well, it's cool to think about how different offices make people work differently.
京晶:嗯,想到不同的办公室会给人们的工作方式带来不同,这还挺酷的。

New words : 习语短语
chaotic 杂乱的,纷乱的
many people moving and making noise, so that it's hard to do anything smoothly
hot desking 轮流使用办公桌
using a different desk every day, not having your own desk
nimble 灵活的
able to change quickly
solid hours 固定时间,整块时间做某事
a time doing one thing without stopping
multitasking 多任务
doing several different kinds of work at the same time
2


Dialogue 2
Mark: Thanks for meeting me out here for lunch.
马克:谢谢出来这儿跟我一起吃午餐。
Jingjing: No problem. Why'd you suggest this place?
京晶:没事儿。为什么你推荐来这里?
Mark: Well, last time, we talked about offices. So, I wanted you to see this place. Have you been to an office park like this one before?
马克:这不,上次我们聊到办公室了吗,所以我想让你看看这个地方。你之前有没有来过这种花园式办公室地?
Jingjing: Lots of times. But this one takes the cake. I bet, after we eat, we can find some place to sit and chat about work.
京晶:经常。但是这个是最好的。我打赌,我们吃完后,还能找个地方坐下来聊聊工作。
Mark: Yeah, that's what I had in mind. There's so much green space and so many open areas with benches and chairs.
马克:是,我也这么想的。这儿有许多绿化空间,开放的空地上还有坐凳和椅子。
Jingjing: It's nice to see so many people out for a stroll during the lunch break.
京晶:看见这么多人在午餐休息时出来遛遛弯感觉还挺好的。
Mark: It's modern, to be sure. I think this used to be a factory.
马克:毫无疑问,这里很现代。我认为这里过去是个工厂。
Jingjing: I can see that. Some of the low-lying buildings look older.
京晶:能看出来。有些低矮的房子看着旧一些。
Mark: It's kind of charming that they've been turned into coffee shops and restaurants.马克:它们被改建成咖啡店和餐厅还挺有味道的。
Jingjing: Do you think companies get more out of their people, if they set up their offices in a place like this?
京晶:你觉得这些公司如果把办公室都设在这里,会令员工们更有作为吗?
Mark: It makes a big difference, I bet. You can look in through the windows and see some work areas are pretty cramped, though.
马克:我打赌肯定有很大不同。你可以从这些窗户看进去,还是有些办公区域非常狭窄啊。
Jingjing: Anyway, being out of the city center is nice. People here can go for a run after lunch. And there are plenty of parking places.
京晶:不管怎么说,离开城市中心总是好的。午餐后还能跑个步,还有那么充裕的停车场。
Mark: Yeah, this is really a 21st Century office park.
马克:对啊,这真是一座21世纪的商务花园啊。
Jingjing: Let's go to the book store. I want to browse some books and get a drink.
京晶:我们去书店吧。我想去浏览一些书籍,喝杯东西。
Mark: I'll recommend a fruit smoothie, if you pay for it.
马克:如果你请客,我推荐来杯水果冰沙。
Jingjing: Ha ha, very funny. It was your idea to come here. How about making it your treat?
京晶:哈哈,有趣。来这可是你的主意,算你请客如何?

New words : 习语短语
it takes the cake 最好的,一流的
it is the best/worst I've seen
green space 绿色空间
areas like parks and gardens, where people can relax and connect with nature
stroll 散步,溜达
walk in a relaxed way, usually slowly, without having to go anywhere soon
cramped 狭窄,拥挤
too many people and objects in a small space
city center 城市中心区
downtown (for Beijing this would be most places inside the 3rd Ring)


分享到
重点单词
  • hallwayn. 门厅;玄关;走廊
  • exceptvt. 除,除外 prep. & conj. 除了 ..
  • avoidvt. 避免,逃避
  • chaoticadj. 混乱的
  • relaxedadj. 放松的, 松懈的,随意的 relax的过去式(
  • crampedadj. 狭促的,难懂的,难辨的
  • strolln. 闲逛,漫步 v. 闲逛,漫步
  • recommendvt. 建议,推荐,劝告 vt. 使成为可取,使受欢迎
  • charmingadj. 迷人的
  • traditionaladj. 传统的