经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第318期
日期:2019-01-25 11:02

(单词翻译:单击)

I was going back to Thornfield: but how long was I to stay there?
我正在回桑菲尔德的归途中,可是我会在那儿呆多久呢?
Not long; of that I was sure.
我确信不会太久。
I had heard from Mrs. Fairfax in the interim of my absence: the party at the hall was dispersed;
在外期间,费尔法克斯太太写信告诉我,府上的聚会已经散去,
Mr. Rochester had left for London three weeks ago, but he was then expected to return in a fortnight.
罗切斯特先生三周前动身上伦敦去了,不过预定二周后就返回。
Mrs. Fairfax surmised that he was gone to make arrangements for his wedding,
费尔法克斯太太推测,他此去是为张罗婚礼的,
as he had talked of purchasing a new carriage:
因为曾说起要购置一辆新马车:
she said the idea of his marrying Miss Ingram still seemed strange to her;
她还说,总觉得这不免有些蹊跷,罗切斯特先生尽想着要娶英格拉姆小姐;
but from what everybody said, and from what she had herself seen,
不过从大家说的和她亲眼见的来看,
she could no longer doubt that the event would shortly take place.
她不再怀疑婚礼很快就会举行。


"You would be strangely incredulous if you did doubt it," was my mental comment. "I don't doubt it."
“要是连这也怀疑,那你真是疑心病重得出奇了。”我心里嘀咕着。“我并不怀疑。”
The question followed, "Where was I to go?"
接踵而来的是这个问题,“我上哪儿去呢?”
I dreamt of Miss Ingram all the night:
我彻夜梦见英格拉姆小姐:
in a vivid morning dream I saw her closing the gates of Thornfield against me and pointing me out another road;
在活灵活现的晨梦中,我看见她当着我关上了桑菲尔德的大门,给我指了指另外一条路;
and Mr. Rochester looked on with his arms folded -- smiling sardonically, as it seemed, at both her and me.
罗切斯特先生袖手旁观--似乎对英格拉姆小姐和我冷笑着。
I had not notified to Mrs. Fairfax the exact day of my return;
我没有通知费尔法克斯太太回家的确切日子,
for I did not wish either car or carriage to meet me at Millcote.
因为我不希望派普通马车或是高级马车到米尔科特来接我。
I proposed to walk the distance quietly by myself;
我打算自己静静地走完这段路;
and very quietly, after leaving my box in the ostler's care, did I slip away from the George Inn,
这样,我把自己的箱子交给饲马倌后,静悄悄地溜出乔治旅店,
about six o'clock of a June evening, and take the old road to Thornfield:
在六月的某个黄昏,六时左右,踏上了通向桑菲尔德的老路:
a road which lay chiefly through fields, and was now little frequented.
这条路直穿田野,如今已很少有人光顾。

分享到