经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第296期
日期:2018-12-17 10:52

(单词翻译:单击)

A strange wish, Mrs. Reed, why do you hate her so?
一个奇怪的愿望,里德太太,你为什么竟会这么恨她呢?
I had a dislike to her mother always, for she was my husband's only sister, and a great favourite with him.
我一直讨厌她母亲,因为她是我丈夫唯一的妹妹,很讨他喜欢。
He opposed the family's disowning her when she made her low marriage.
家里因为她下嫁而同她脱离了关系,他坚决反对。
And when news came of her death, he wept like a simpleton.
她的死讯传来时,他哭得像个傻瓜。
He would send for the baby, though I entreated him rather to put it out to nurse and pay for its maintenance.
他要把孩子去领来,尽管我求他还是送出去让人喂养,付养育费好。
I hated it the first time I set my eyes on it -- a sickly, whining, pining thing!
我头一回见了便讨厌她--完全是个哭哭啼啼身体有病的东西!
It would wail in its cradle all night long -- not screaming heartily like any other child, but whimpering and moaning.
她会在摇篮里整夜哭个不停--不像别的孩子那样放开喉咙大哭,而是咿咿呀呀,哼哼唧唧。

经典名著 简爱

Reed pitied it, and he used to nurse it and notice it as if it had been his own.
里德怜她,亲自喂她,仿佛自己孩子似地关心她。
More, indeed, than he ever noticed his own at that age.
说实在,自己的孩子在那个年纪他还没有那么花心思呢。
He would try to make my children friendly to the little beggar.
他要我的孩子跟这个小讨饭友好相处。
The darlings could not bear it, and he was angry with them when they showed their dislike.
宝贝们受不了,露出对她的讨厌,里德为此非常生气。
In his last illness, he had it brought continually to his bedside.
他病重的日子,还不住地叫人把她抱到他床边,
And but an hour before he died, he bound me by vow to keep the creature.
而临终前一小时让我立誓抚养她。
I would as soon have been charged with a pauper brat out of a workhouse, but he was weak, naturally weak.
我情愿养育一个从济贫院里出来的小叫化子。可是他软弱,生性软弱。
John does not at all resemble his father, and I am glad of it.
约翰一点不像他父亲,我为此感到高兴。
John is like me and like my brothers.
约翰像我,像我的兄弟们。

分享到
重点单词
  • opposedadj. 反对的,敌对的 v. 和 ... 起冲突,反抗
  • paupern. 贫民,被救济者,穷人
  • maintenancen. 维护,保持,维修,生活费用 n. 供给,抚养; 主
  • resemblevt. 相似,类似,像
  • reedn. 芦苇,芦笛,簧片 Reed:里德(姓氏)
  • bratn. 乳臭未干的小孩;顽童
  • dislikev. 不喜欢,厌恶 n. 不喜爱,厌恶,反感