(单词翻译:单击)
After Jennifer went home, Uncle Jeff wanted to walk around a little to think.
詹妮弗回家后,杰夫叔叔想四处走走,想一想 。
We walked in silence for about 10 minutes before he said,
我们沉默了大约10分钟,他说道,
"There are a few things we know about this case so far.
“到目前为止,我们对这个案件有了一些了解 。
This looks like a crime of opportunity—that is, I don't think it was planned ahead of time."
这看起来像是一种机会犯罪——我认为这不是事先计划好的 。”
"What do you mean?" I asked.
“什么意思?”我问 。
"Well, the murderer didn't bring the murder weapon with him to the dean's office.
“凶手没有把凶器带到院长办公室 。
It was something convenient—the statue that was already there."
那儿有方便的凶器——雕像 。”
"We also know," he continued, "that the dean is a blackmailer.
“我们也知道,”他接着说,“院长是个敲诈者 。
Blackmailers often have more than one victim.
敲诈者通常不止一个受害者 。
If Alan Maurie was blackmailing Jennifer, I wonder whom else he was blackmailing."
如果毛里院长在勒索詹妮弗,我想知道他还在勒索谁 。”
"I see what you mean," I said. "Who do you suspect so far?"
“我明白你的意思,”我说 。“到目前为止,你怀疑谁?”
"There are four people who had motive and opportunity," he said.
“四个人有作案的动机和机会,”他说 。
"First, there's Diana Marcelo.
“首先是黛安娜·马塞洛,
She wanted to save her marriage and Dean Maurie didn't want to end the affair.
她想挽救自己的婚姻,而毛里院长不想结束这段恋情 。
She may have gone to see him again, they fought, and she killed him.
她可能又去看他了,他们打了起来,黛安娜·马塞洛杀了院长 。
She also had opportunity. She says she was at home alone when the murder occurred.
詹妮弗也有机会,她说案发时她一个人在家 。
And as far as we know, no one can say whether or not she was there.
据我们所知,没有人能证明她是否在家 。