(单词翻译:单击)
视听文本
Individual Communists had done the US government great harm, most notably by passing atomic secrets to the Soviet Union.
共产党个体对美国政府造成了巨大伤害,向苏联泄露美国的原子弹机密
But many many many more Americans with no connection to Communism,
但是也有更多的美国人和美国或者苏联的共产主义都毫无联系
either American or Soviet, lost their good names and sometimes their livelihoods to this senseless witch hunt.
却因为被怀疑和泄露机密有关,遭到无端的政治迫害而名誉扫地,甚至失去生计
4. Mutually Assured Destruction
第四,相互保证毁灭
For me and for other aging baby boomers, the threat of nuclear war was always present throughout our childhood.
对于我和跟我一样的婴儿潮一代,核战的危机一直笼罩着
We had bomb drills in which we were supposed to hide underneath our desks;
我们的童年,我们还有核弹救生演习,要躲到自己的书桌底下
why anyone would want to bomb Carrollton Elementary School in Oak Creek, Wisconsin was beyond me but I did like I was told.
我当时并不能理解为什么会有人想要炸毁威斯康辛州奥克利克的卡罗顿小学,但是我还是照做了
The Carrollton Elementary school cafeteria was a designated fallout shelter, as was St. Matthew's Catholic Church two miles away.
卡罗顿小学的咖啡馆是指定的放射性微粒掩蔽所,两英里之外的圣马修天主教堂也是
I was nervous back then,
那时候我非常紧张
but had I known how close the world had actually come to mutually assured destruction when I was an infant, I would have been terrified.
我要是知道自己是个婴儿的时候,世界就差点遭到相互保证毁灭的危险,估计我得吓坏了
But I don't mean to bore you with my old coot stories here.
但是我也不打算讲我那些老掉牙的故事,让你们觉得厌烦
Compared to what elementary school students grow up with today, I'm starting to feel that I got off pretty light.
相比于如今小学生的成长环境而言,我开始觉得我当年已经够轻松的了
视频及简介
课程介绍:
本节课的标题也可以叫做《边缘政策时代》。“边缘政策”指把形势尽可能地推到灾难边缘,希望自己这一边能够超过另一边,在冷战期间,美国,苏联及其各自的同盟国实行的都是边缘政策。
原声视频: