TED演讲(视频+MP3+双语字幕):美国人在健康问题上的共识是什么(6)
日期:2018-11-20 09:16

(单词翻译:单击)

听力文本

Listening to her, I felt this familiar panic rise in me, the residue of my own childhood.
听着她的描述,我感到熟悉的恐慌在我心中升起,来自我童年的阴影。
When I was 10 years old, my father lay on the living room floor in the grips of one of his many depressions.
当我10岁时,我父亲躺在客厅的地板上,被抑郁笼罩着。
As I crouched next to him, he told me that he wanted to kill himself.
当我蹲在他旁边时,他告诉我他想自杀。
My father lived, but he struggled to work.
我父亲活下来了,但他苦于工作。
And my family survived, but we teetered, down one paycheck, relying on my mom's schoolteacher salary.
我的家人幸存下来,但我们摇摇欲坠,靠着一份薪水,依赖我母亲学校的工资度日。
Even as a little kid, I knew we lived in the shadow of financial and emotional collapse.
即便是个小孩,我知道我们生活在经济和情感奔溃的阴影中。
This is really hard to say, because it's taken me 25 years to be honest with myself that this is why I do this work:
这真的难以启齿,因为我花了25年的时间来对自己坦诚,这就是我做这个工作的原因:
knowing that my father needed health care to recover, but to be healthy,
知道我父亲需要医疗保健来恢复,但要保持健康,
my family needed something else, we needed a decent income;
我家人还需要其他东西,我们需要一份体面的收入;
and knowing, as so many do more than I, that panic when the basics threaten to slip away.
还知道,就如很多人更能体会的,那种对基本的东西要溜走时的恐慌。

美国人在健康问题上的共识是什么

To the voters in our focus groups, the solutions were straightforward.
对我们焦点小组的选民来说,解决方案很简单。
As one of those white Republican women in Charlotte said,
就像夏洛特的一位白人共和党女性说的,
"Instead of putting all this money into health care, put it into affordable housing.
“与其把所有钱都投在医疗保健,不如投一些到可负担的住房中。
You know, like, take it and distribute it differently."
就像,拿着它,用不同的方式来分配它。”
It turns out that when you have the right language and you ask the right questions,
结果表明当你有了正确的沟通语言,你问了正确的问题,
the answers become remarkably clear and unanimous.
答案变得明显清楚和一致。
What we know is that, despite all the noise, the plan for health care in this country is that there is no plan.
我们知道的是,尽管有所有这些噪音,这个国家的医疗保健计划就是没有一个计划。
But we have something more powerful than any politician's bill, any candidate's platform, any think tank's policy statement.
但我们有比任何政治家的法案、任何候选人平台、任何智囊团的政策声明更强大的东西。
We have our common sense and our common experience.
我们有我们的常识和我们的共同经历。

演讲介绍

丽贝卡·欧尼指出,或许我们的分歧并没有我们想象的大——至少在健康方面。欧尼分享的研究表明,尽管经济、政治和种族不同,美国人民对他们需要过上好的生活方面意见一致。她呼吁医疗保健供应方和病人应当专注于什么让我们健康,而非专注在让我们生气的事情上面。


分享到
重点单词
  • slipv. 滑倒,溜走,疏忽,滑脱 n. 滑倒,溜走,疏忽,失
  • threatenv. 威胁,恐吓
  • affordableadj. 支付得起的,不太昂贵的
  • politiciann. 政治家,政客
  • panicn. 恐慌 adj. 惊慌的 vt. 使 ... 惊慌
  • unanimousadj. 全体一致的,一致同意的
  • statementn. 声明,陈述
  • candidaten. 候选人,求职者
  • collapsen. 崩溃,倒塌,暴跌 v. 倒塌,崩溃,瓦解,折叠
  • distributev. 分配,散布