(单词翻译:单击)
Dear F –
亲爱的父亲:
Just a hurried line as we start off tonight. The front line trenches are nine miles off from here so it wont be a very long march.
我们今晚出发时,只是匆匆准备了一下 。前线战壕距这里有九英里,所以不会行军太长时间 。
This is the great effort to break through and end the war.
这是突破战线和结束战争的伟大努力 。
The guns have been going deafeningly all day, without a single stop.
一整天,枪声在耳畔此起彼伏,一刻没停歇 。
We have to push through at all costs so we won’t have much time in the trenches, which is great luck.
我们必须不惜一切代价完成任务,因此我们待在战壕里的时间就没剩多少了,这真是太幸运了 。
Funny to think one will be in the thick of it tomorrow.
一想到明天将在枪林弹雨中穿行,我甚至觉得好笑 。
One’s first experience of shell fire not in the trenches but in the open.
第一次接触炮弹,不是在战壕里,而是在野外 。
This is one of the advantages of a Flying Division, you have to keep moving.
这算是飞行师的优势吧,你必须得不停歇地移动 。
We marched 18 miles last night in the pouring wet.
昨晚我们顶着倾盆大雨,行进了18英里 。
It came down in sheets steadily.
片状雨水劈头盖脸地浇下来 。
They are staking a tremendous lot on this great advancing movement as if it succeeds the war won’t go on for long.
他们在这场声势浩大的行军路上押下了巨大赌注,就好像这场战事不会持续太久 。
You have no idea what enormous issues depend on the next few days.
你永远不知道未来几天会发生什么重大事件 。
This will be my last letter most likely for some time as we won’t get any time for writing this next week, but I will try and send Field post cards.
这恐怕是短期内我最后的一封信,因为下周就抽不出空写家书了,但我会尽量试着给你寄战场的明信片 。
Well so long old dears.
好好保重,老家伙们 。
Dear love
致我的挚爱
John
约翰
译文为可可英语翻译,未经授权请勿转载!