如何训练员工完成高难度的沟通
日期:2018-09-20 15:46

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

We live in a world where the collection of data is happening 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year.
在我们所居住的世界,资料的收集从没停止过,一天二十四小时,一周七天,一年三百六十五天。
This data is usually collected by what we call a front-desk specialist now.
收集的资料通常都是由所谓的柜台接待专员来负责。
These are the retail clerks at your favorite department stores, the cashiers at the grocery stores,
这些人包括你最爱的百货公司零售店员、杂货店的收银员、
the registration specialists at the hospital and even the person that sold you your last movie ticket.
医院的挂号人员,甚至是上次你去看电影时卖票给你的人。
They ask discreet questions, like: "May I please have your zip code?"
他们小心翼翼地询问,比如:“能不能给我您的邮政编码?”
Or, "Would you like to use your savings card today?" All of which gives us data.
或“您今天是要用金融卡吗?”这些问题都能提供我们所需的数据。
However, the conversation becomes a little bit more complex when the more difficult questions need to be asked.
然而,当询问的问题更具难度时,沟通就会变得更复杂了。
Let me tell you a story, see. Once upon a time, there was a woman named Miss Margaret.
让我跟各位说个故事。很久很久以前,有位名叫玛格丽特小姐的女士。
Miss Margaret had been a front-desk specialist for almost 20 years.
玛格丽特小姐担任柜台接待专员近二十年的时间。
And in all that time, she has never, and I do mean never, had to ask a patient their gender, race or ethnicity.
在那段期间,她从来不需要问病人的性别、种族或族群,真的从来不需要。
Because, see, now Miss Margaret has the ability to just look at you. Uh-huh.
因为,玛格丽特小姐有能力只要看着你。嗯哼。
And she can tell if you are a boy or a girl, black or white, American or non-American.
接着她就能分辨你是男生还是女生、黑人还是白人、美国人还是非美国人。
And in her mind, those were the only categories.
在她的脑中也只有这些类别。
So imagine that grave day, when her sassy supervisor invited her to this "change everything" meeting
所以,想象在某个阴霾的日子里,她无礼的主管邀请她参加名为“改变一切”的会议,
and told her that would have to ask each and every last one of her patients to self-identify.
并告诉她必须要求每一个病人表明自我认同与身份。
She gave her six genders, eight races and over 100 ethnicities.
主管给了她六种性别、八个种族和超过一百多个族群。
Well, now, Miss Margaret was appalled. I mean, highly offended.
现在,换玛格丽特小姐目瞪口呆了。我是说,她被严重地冒犯了。
So much so that she marched down to that human-resource department to see if she was eligible for an early retirement.
严重到她走到人力资源部门询问她是否符合提早退休的资格。
And she ended her rant by saying that her sassy supervisor invited her to this "change everything" meeting
而且她怒气冲冲叫嚷的最后,是以她无礼的主管邀请她去参加这场“改变一切”的会议,
and didn't, didn't, even, even bring, bring food, food, food, food.
竟然...竟然...没有...没有...带...带...食物...来做结尾。
You know you've got to bring food to these meetings.
这类会议是不能少了食物的。
Anyway. Now, that was an example of a healthcare setting, but of course, all businesses collect some form of data.
总之。刚刚的例子是发生在医疗保健的情况,但当然,所有的企业都会收集某种形式的数据。
True story: I was going to wire some money.
真实故事:我打算要去汇款。
And the customer service representative asked me if I was born in the United States.
客服人员问我是否是在美国出生。
Now, I hesitated to answer her question, and before she even realized why I hesitated,
我正犹豫着是否要回答她的问题,而她在搞懂我为什么犹豫前,
she began to throw the company she worked for under the bus.
她就开始把错都丢给她的公司了。
She said, "Girl, I know it's stupid, but they makin' us ask this question."
她说:“姑娘,我知道这问题很蠢,但是他们逼我们要问的。”
Because of the way she presented it to me, I was like,
因为她对我说话的方式,我也依样画葫芦,回道:
"Girl, why? Why they makin' you ask this question? Is they deportin' people?"
“女孩,为什么?为什么他们要逼你问这种问题?他们要驱逐谁吗?”
But then I had to turn on the other side of me, the more professional speaker-poet side of me.
但接着,我得要展现出我的另一面,比较专业的演说诗人家的那面。
The one that understood that there were little Miss Margarets all over the place.
表现出我了解到处都有像玛格丽特小姐的人。
People who were good people, maybe even good employees,
他们都是好人,也许还是好员工,
but lacked the ability to ask their questions properly and unfortunately, that made her look bad,
但缺乏适当的提问能力,不幸的,会让她看起来很失礼,
but the worst, that made the business look even worse than how she was looking.
但更糟的是,会让公司看起来比她还要差劲。
Because she had no idea who I was.
因为她不知道我是谁。
I mean, I literally could have been a woman who was scheduled to do a TED Talk and would use her as an example. Imagine that.
我的意思是,我可能是个已经排定要上TED演讲且会把她拿来当做例子的人。想象一下。
And unfortunately, what happens is people would decline to answer the questions,
不幸的是,通常的状况是大家会拒绝回答问题,
because they feel like you would use the information to discriminate against them,
因为他们觉得你会用那信息来歧视他们,
all because of how you presented the information. And at that point, we get bad data.
这全是因为你询问信息的方式不妥。这时,我们就会得到坏数据。

如何训练员工完成高难度的沟通

And everybody knows what bad data does. Bad data costs you time, it costs you money and it costs you resources.
大家都知道有了坏数据会怎样。坏数据会浪费你投入的时间、金钱和资源。
Unfortunately, when you have bad data, it also costs you a lot more,
不幸的是,当你取得坏数据,你付出的代价还更高,
because we have health disparities, and we have social determinants of health,
因为我们有健康差距,我们有健康的社会决定因素,
and we have the infant mortality, all of which depends on the data that we collect,
我们有婴儿死亡率,这些都要仰赖我们收集的资料,
and if we have bad data, than we have those issues still.
如果我们取得坏数据,我们就仍然有那些议题。
And we have underprivileged populations that remain unfortunate and underprivileged,
那些弱势族群的人口,就一直无法翻转贫困的不幸命运,
because the data that we're using is either outdated, or is not good at all or we don't have anything at all.
因为我们使用的数据若不是过时的,就是无效的,再不然就是什么资料也没搜集到。
Now, wouldn't it be amazing if people like Miss Margaret
如果像玛格丽特小姐这样的人
and the customer-service representative at the wiring place were graced to collect data with compassionate care?
及汇款的客服人员,能带着仁慈的关怀来优雅地收集资料,不是很好吗?
Can I explain to you what I mean by "graced?" I wrote an acrostic poem.
能让我解释我所谓的“优雅(GRACED)”吗?我写了首藏头诗。
G: Getting the front desk specialist involved and letting them know
G:让柜台接待专员参与并知悉。
R: the Relevance of their role as they become
R:他们职务角色所具的攸关性。
A: Accountable for the accuracy of data while implementing
A:在执行时要为数据的精确性负责。
C: Compassionate care within all encounters by becoming
C:与人的互动中带着仁慈的关怀。
E: Equipped with the education needed to inform people of why data collection is so important.
E:具备所需的知识来告知人们为何资料的收集是如此重要。
Now, I'm an artist. And so what happens with me is that when I create something artistically, the trainer in me is awakened as well.
我是艺术家。我的状况是,当我创作出有艺术性的作品时,我内在的训练官也被唤醒。
So what I did was, I began to develop that acrostic poem into a full training entitled "I'm G.R.A.C.E.D."
所以我开始将藏头诗发展成完整的培训计划,叫做“我很优雅(GRACED)”。
Because I remember, being the front-desk specialist, and when I went to the office of equity to start working,
因为我记得身为柜台接待专员时,当我去平权办事处开始工作,
I was like, "Is that why they asked us to ask that question?"
我心想:“那就是为何他们需要我们去问那个问题的理由吗?”
It all became a bright light to me, and I realized that I asked people and I told people about
我才豁然开朗,我意识到我问人们且我告诉人们,
I called them by the wrong gender, I called them by the wrong race, I called them by the wrong ethnicity,
我称呼他们时用错了性别,我称呼他们时用错了种族,我称呼他们时用错了人种,
and the environment became hostile, people was offended and I was frustrated because I was not graced.
便会处在充满敌意的氛围中,因为我的不优雅,使人们感到被冒犯而我则觉得挫折沮丧。
I remember my computerized training, and unfortunately, that training did not prepare me to deescalate a situation.
我记得我的计算机化训练,不幸的是,那训练并没有使我有能力让紧绷的情况逐渐缓和。
It did not prepare me to have teachable moments when I had questions about asking the questions.
那训练无法在我提问遇到困难时,指引我找出解决的方法。
I would look at the computer and say, "So, what do I do when this happens?"
我会看着计算机说:“当这状况发生时,我要怎么做?”
And the computer would say ... nothing, because a computer cannot talk back to you.
而计算机会...什么都不说,因为计算机不会回你的话。
So that's the importance of having someone there who was trained to teach you and tell you what you do in situations like that.
所以,有个受过训练、能够教你并指导你如何随机应变的人,是很重要的。
So, when I created the "I'm G.R.A.C.E.D" training,
所以,当我在做“我很优雅”的训练课程时,
I created it with that experience that I had in mind, but also that conviction that I had in mind.
我用的是我脑中的经验,还有我脑中的信念。
Because I wanted the instructional design of it to be a safe space for open dialogue for people.
因为我希望它的教学设计是个可让大家坦诚对话的安全空间。
I wanted to talk about biases, the unconscious ones and the conscious ones, and what we do.
我想要谈论偏见,无意识的偏见和有意识的偏见,以及我们该如何做。
Because now I know that when you engage people in the why, it challenges their perspective, and it changes their attitudes.
因为现在我知道,让大家知道“为什么”,可以挑战他们的观点,并改变他们的态度。
Now I know that data that we have at the front desk translates into research that eliminates disparities and finds cures.
现在我知道我们在柜台取得的资料会转变为研究数据,用以消除差异并找到对策。
Now I know that teaching people transitional change instead of shocking them into change is always a better way of implementing change.
现在我知道,用教导的方式来协助员工完成过渡期的改变,而非使用突如其来、让人措手不及的激进式改变,才是执行变革能够成功的良方。
See, now I know people are more likely to share information when they are treated with respect by knowledgeable staff members.
现在我知道,当人们被训练有素的工作人员以尊重的态度来对待时,较有可能吐露自己的数据。
Now I know that you don't have to be a statistician to understand the power and the purpose of data,
现在我知道你不需要是统计学家,也能了解资料的力量和目的,
but you do have to treat people with respect and have compassionate care.
但你一定要带着尊重与仁慈的关怀来待人。
Now I know that when you've been graced, it is your responsibility to empower somebody else.
现在我知道,当你能很优雅时,你就有责任要让其他人也能够如此。
But most importantly, now I know that when teaching human beings to communicate with other human beings,
但最重要的是,现在我知道,若要教导人与人之间如何沟通,
it should be delivered by a human being.
这件事应该要由人类来做。
So when y'all go to work and y'all schedule that "change everything" meeting -- remember Miss Margaret.
所以,当你们去工作,并且安排了那“改变一切”的会议--别忘了玛格丽特小姐。
And don't forget the food, the food, the food, the food. Thank you. Thank you.
也别忘了食物、食物、食物、食物。谢谢。谢谢。

分享到