(单词翻译:单击)
"We both read in paper about how you helped solve the murder last month.
“我和院长在报纸上看到了你上个月是如何帮助破案的 。
And I have been learning about the other cases that you helped to solve in the past few years.
我一直在学习你在过去的几年里帮助解决的其他案例 。
Dean Maurie doesn't want to do anything, but I told him that I knew you, Jeff.
毛里院长什么都不想做,但我告诉他我认识你,杰夫 。
I told him that you would be discreet and very careful to keep things quiet.
我告诉他,你会谨慎小心,不会把事情张扬出去 。
Also, you used to be a professor at California U.
另外,你曾经是加利福尼亚大学的教授 。
You understand the University.
你了解大学 。
You know whom to talk to and whom not to talk to to keep this quiet."
你知道该和谁说话,不该和谁说话,保持沉默 。”
Professor Dunn stopped and looked at Uncle Jeff.
邓恩教授停下来,看了看杰夫叔叔 。
"You are the only one who can help us," she said. She looked at him hopefully.
“你是唯一能帮助我们的人,”她说 。邓恩满怀希望地看着杰夫 。
Uncle Jeff didn't answer right away. I could see he was thinking.
杰夫叔叔没有立刻答复,我知道他在想什么 。
Finally, after a few minutes, he said,
终于,几分钟后,杰夫叔叔说,
"Okay, Clara, I'll look into it. I can't promise I'll find out who wrote those letters, but I'll try."
“好吧,克拉拉,我去查一查,我不能保证我会找出是谁写的那些信,但我会努力的 。”
Professor Dunn smiled for the first time.
邓恩教授还是第一次笑 。
"Thank you, Jeff. This means a lot to me.
“谢谢你,杰夫 。这对我来说意义重大 。
You don't know how worried I've been. I'm sure you'll find out who is behind all of this."
你不知道我有多担心,我相信你会找到这一切的幕后黑手 。
"I'll do what I can, Clara. I'll do what I can."
“我会尽力的,克拉拉,我将尽我所能 。”
I was glad that my uncle was going to help Professor Dunn.
我很高兴杰夫叔叔能帮助邓恩教授
It seemed like a simple thing: Find the person who wrote the letters.
看起来很简单:找到写信的人 。
But, based on past experience,
但是,根据过去的经验,
many simple things have a way of turning into big things—big, dangerous things.
许多简单的事情都有可能变成大的阴谋——重大而危险 。