英语PK台(MP3+文本) 第793期: 潮流 名牌 笑Skr人的山寨
日期:2018-09-06 11:54

(单词翻译:单击)

Dialogue 1
Mark: Hi Jingjing, do you like my new shirt?
马克: 嗨,京晶,你喜欢我的新衬衫吗?
Jingjing: Oh, I see you're jumping on the Champion bandwagon.
京晶: 哦,看来你也赶上冠军这个牌子的潮流了。
Mark: Huh? I just thought it was time for a new T-shirt. I didn't pay much attention to the brand.
马克: 啊? 我只是觉得是时候该买件新衬衫了,并没有太关注品牌。
Jingjing: Yeah. Sorry to bust your chops about it. It's just that everybody and their mum is wearing a Champion shirt this summer. Now that the fad has made its way into the knock off shops, few people will be willing to pay 300 yuan for a T-shirt with that brand.
京晶: 抱歉刚才说了些让你困扰的话。只是今年夏天几乎每个人都在穿冠军牌的衬衫。但自从这个当下的流行进入山寨商店,就很少有人愿意花300元买一件这个品牌的衬衫了。
Mark: Wow, I didn't think about all that. But, now that you mention it, it does seem like every year there's a hot brand, and we see tons of people on the street sporting the same logo on their chests.
马克: 我还真没想到过这些。不过经你这么一说,好像确实每年都会有一个热门品牌特别流行,在大街上总能看到很多人胸前炫着同样的商标。
Jingjing: Right. It was Under Armor last year, and Paul Frank the year before. I still remember when everyone was wearing Kappa for a season or two.
京晶: 没错。去年是安德玛,前年是大嘴猴。我还记得有一两季每个人都在穿卡帕的衣服。
Mark: Hmm. I think it's cool to get into a brand along with everyone else. It's just kinda cheesy if you only buy the T-shirt each time, instead of trying out the things that make the brand famous.
马克: 嗯哼。我觉得和大家一起追一个品牌还挺有趣的。但如果每次只是买件衬衫,而不去尝试这个品牌的口碑产品,那就有点傻傻滴了。
Jingjing: I agree. That reminds me of the expression: been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
京晶: 我同意。这让我想起了那个表达: 去过,经历过,买过纪念T。
Mark: Yeah, why not just get the T-shirt? Anyway, what surprises me about the Champion fad is that it's not even a new brand. What was it that made the brand popular all of a sudden?
马克: 是啊,为什么不只买衬衫呢? 不管怎么样,让我挺惊讶的是,冠军甚至都不是一个新品牌。到底是什么让这个品牌突然流行起来的?
Jingjing: I don't know, in this case. But what often happens is a celebrity promotes it and it becomes a popular brand.
京晶: 这个牌子怎么火的我不知道。但通常情况是经过某个名人的推广,一个品牌就突然火起来了。
Mark: That might have been what made the Champion brand take off. I had a Champion shirt as a kid. So, it takes me back a bit to see so many people wearing them.
马克: 这可能就是冠军突然窜红的原因。我小时候就有一件冠军牌的衬衫,所以突然看到这么多人穿着它,还真唤起了我的回忆。
Jingjing: Including yourself.
京晶: 这些人也包括你自己。
Mark: Yeah. I inadvertently jumped on the bandwagon.
马克: 是的,我也无意中赶了个时髦。

New words : 习语短语
bandwagon 时尚潮流
a group of people all following the same fad
Jump on bandwagon 赶潮流
bust your chops 捉弄人
tease someone, make fun of them
everybody and their mum is 人人都在做的事
an activity has become too popular
sport (v) 穿,展示,炫耀
wear, show off
cheesy (adj) 傻傻的
silly, disappointing
inadvertently (adv) 漫不经心地,非故意的,但有效的
not on purpose, but effective
1


Dialogue 2
Jingjing: Mark, what are your thoughts about knock offs?
京晶: 马克,你对山寨商品有什么看法?
Mark: You mean, like fake Champion shirts?
马克: 你是说盗版冠军衬衫这种?
Jingjing: Yeah, among other things.
京晶: 嗯,类似这样的。
Mark: I don't have any moral aversion to it. I guess you just have to judge the quality for yourself in the shop when you're picking something out. Of course, if you're spending 10 times the usual price for a piece of clothing, because it's a prestigious brand, you can expect the quality to be excellent.
马克: 我对此倒没有什么道德层面上的反感。我觉得在商店里挑选东西的时候,只需要自己衡量商品的质量就可以了。当然,如果你花10倍价钱买一件衣服,因为它是名牌,你可以期待它有极好的品质。
Jingjing: Yeah, I've had a lot of unpleasant surprises with knock off stuff. With shirts and shoes, I insist on buying authentic items.
京晶: 是的,买到仿冒品确实把我雷到多次。衬衫和鞋子这类东西,我还是坚持买正品。
Mark: There are a lot of good, but relatively unknown sportswear brands. I'd try their shoes at least once. But yeah, knock off shoes usually find their way into the garbage after one or two wearings.
马克: 其实还有很多不错的运动品牌,只是相对不知名,我至少会尝试一下他们的鞋。但是,确实,山寨的鞋子通常在穿了一两次之后就会被扔进垃圾桶。
Jingjing: Hey, speaking of shirts, don't you love the misspelled brand names?
京晶: 嘿,说到山寨衬衫,你不觉得看到拼错的商标很逗吗?
Mark: Yeah, that's pretty funny, when it's all huge across the chest, but says Clavin Kein.
马克: 嗯,是很有趣,尤其是商标很大充满整个胸膛的时候,但上面的字母明显是拼错的,比如把凯文·克莱拼成凯莱文·克。
Jingjing: Or George Armani.
京晶: 或者把乔治·阿玛尼拼成了佐治·阿玛尼。(原商标应该是Giorgio Armani)
Mark: I haven't seen that one yet. Maybe the wearer was trying to be ironic.
马克: 我还没见过那个。也许穿衣服的人只是想表示讽刺吧。
Jingjing: It could be. And then there are the brands that borrow from big names without exactly copying. Sometimes they get the name wrong in a funny way.
京晶: 可能吧。还有一些品牌借鉴了大品牌的名字但没有完全照搬。有时以一种很搞笑的方式理解错了。
Mark: Hmm. Could you give me an example?
马克: 你能给我举个例子吗?
Jingjing: Sure. You know Hugo Boss, right?
京晶: 当然。你知道Hugo Boss(雨果·博斯,英语意译为“老板”)那个牌子吧?
Mark: Yeah.
马克: 知道。
Jingjing: Well, in an outlet mall, I saw a department under the name Rich Boss.
京晶: 在一家名品折扣购物中心,我看到了一个叫“富老板”的店。
Mark: I guess that's an original name.
马克: 我猜这是一个原创名字吧。
Jingjing: To top it off, the name was written out like the Dunhill logo, you know, with the tall letters.
京晶: 最搞笑的是,这家商标的书写方式模仿的却是登喜路那个牌子,字母写得细细长长的。
Mark: That's a hoot!
马克: 真逗!


New words : 习语短语
moral aversion 道德厌恶
thinking something is wrong and being afraid of doing it
prestigious brand 高端品牌
luxury brand, reliable and expensive
be ironic 讽刺的
do something to make a witty joke about what most people take for granted
To top it off... 更有甚者,最妙的是
Like “what's more...”, but best used when you've saved the funniest detail for the end of your story.

分享到