五个桔核(MP3+中英字幕) 第23期:解剖案情(5)
日期:2018-07-06 10:00

(单词翻译:单击)

"There is at least a presumption that the vessel in which the man or men are is a sailing-ship.
"至少可以这样假设:那个人或那一伙人乘坐的是一条帆船。
It looks as if they always sent their singular warning or token before them when starting upon their mission.
看来好象他们奇特的警告或信号总是在他们出发肇事以前发出的。
You see how quickly the deed followed the sign when it came from Dundee.
你瞧,信号从敦提来后,紧接着事情就发生了,你说有多快。
If they had come from Pondicherry in a steamer they would have arrived almost as soon as their letter.
如果他们是从本地治里乘轮船来的,那他们会同那信同时到达。
But, as a matter of fact, seven weeks elapsed.
但是,事实上,过了七个星期才出事。
I think that those seven weeks represented the difference between the mail-boat which brought the letter
我想那七个星期代表的是信件是由邮轮运来的,
and the sailing vessel which brought the writer." "It is possible."
而写信的人是乘帆船来的这一时差。""大有可能。"
"More than that. It is probable.
"不仅可能,而且大概就是这样。
And now you see the deadly urgency of this new case, and why I urged young Openshaw to caution.
现在可以看出这桩新案子的极端紧迫性和为什么我极力告诫小奥彭肖要提高警惕。

福尔摩斯探案集 五个桔核

The blow has always fallen at the end of the time which it would take the senders to travel the distance.
灾祸总是在发信人旅程终了之后来临的。
But this one comes from London, and therefore we cannot count upon delay."
可是这一回是从伦敦来的,所以我们就刻不容缓了。"
"Good God!" I cried. "What can it mean, this relentless persecution?"
"天哪!"我叫起来了。"这意味着什么?这种无情的迫害!"
"The papers which Openshaw carried are obviously of vital importance to the person or persons in the sailing-ship.
"奥彭肖所带的那个文件显然对于帆船里的一个人或一伙人有着生死攸关的重要性。
I think that it is quite clear that there must be more than one of them.
我想情况很清楚,他们一定不止一个人。
A single man could not have carried out two deaths in such a way as to deceive a coroner's jury.
单独一人不可能接连使得两人死于非命,而所用的手段则竟然瞒过了验尸陪审团。
There must have been several in it, and they must have been men of resource and determination.
这里面必然有同伙数人,他们还一定是有勇有谋的人。
Their papers they mean to have, be the holder of them who it may.
他们非要把文件弄到手不可,不管是藏在谁那里。
In this way you see K. K. K. ceases to be the initials of an individual and becomes the badge of a society."
因此,你可以看出,K.K.K.已不再是一个人的名字缩写,而是一个团体的标志。"
"But of what society?" "Have you never..." said Sherlock Holmes, bending forward and sinking his voice...
"是什么样团体的标志呢?""你没有..."福尔摩斯说道,一面俯身向前放低声音,
"have you never heard of the Ku Klux Klan?" "I never have."
"你从来没有听说过三K党吗?""我从来没有听说过。"

分享到
重点单词
  • presumptionn. 推测,可能性,冒昧,放肆,[法律]推定
  • delayv. 耽搁,推迟,延误 n. 耽搁,推迟,延期
  • deceivevt. 欺骗 vi. 行骗
  • determinationn. (正式)决定,规定,决心,测定,定位
  • juryn. 陪审团,评委会 adj. 临时用的 vt. 挑选
  • singularadj. 个人的,单数的,独一的,唯一的,非凡的 n.
  • vesseln. 容器,器皿,船,舰 n. 脉管,血管,[植]
  • relentlessadj. 无情的,冷酷的,残酷的
  • urgencyn. 紧急(的事)
  • deedn. 事迹,行为,[法]契约 vt. 立契转让 a