我是如何用艺术来化解误解的
日期:2018-06-30 17:11

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

I'm a writer-director who tells social-change stories, because I believe stories touch and move us.
我是一个编剧兼导演,写一些社会变革的故事,因为我相信故事能够打动并驱动我们。
Stories humanize and teach us to empathize. Stories change us.
故事使我们得到人性,并教会我们同理心。故事可以改变我们。
When I write and direct plays, I'm amplifying voices of disadvantaged groups,
当我编导剧本时,我会为弱势群体发声,
I'm fighting the self-censorship that has kept many Ugandan artists away from social, political theater
我与自我审查制度抗争,自我审查制度让许多乌干达艺术家无法涉及社会和政治话题,
since the persecution of artists by former Ugandan president, Idi Amin.
从前乌干达总统阿明迫害艺术家开始。
And most importantly, I am breaking the silence and provoking meaningful conversations on taboo issues,
最重要的是,我正在打破沉默,并且在一些禁忌话题上激发有意义的交流对话,
where often "Silence is golden" is the rule of thumb.
通常经验上这些领域奉行着“沉默是金”的原则。
Conversations are important because they inform and challenge our minds to think, and change starts with thinking.
沟通十分重要,因为交流会提供资讯并激发我们去思考,而改变始于思考。
One of my struggles with activism is its often one-sided nature that blinds us to alternative view, that numbs our empathy,
我另一个反对的是激进主义的片面思维,它遮蔽了我们看问题的不同角度,从而麻木了我们的同理心,
that makes us view those who see issues differently as ignorant, self-hating, brainwashed, sellout or plain stupid.
并使我们将那些持不同看法的人视作无知,自怨自艾,被洗脑,背叛或者纯粹的愚蠢。
I believe no one is ignorant. We are all experts, only in different fields.
我相信没有人是愚昧的。在各自不同的领域,每个人都是专家。
And this is why, for me, the saying "stay in your truth" is misleading.
这就是为何,对我而言,“坚守你的真理”的说法是一种误导。
Because if you're staying in your truth, isn't it logical that the person you believe is wrong is also staying in their truth?
因为如果你坚守你所谓的真理,那按同样的逻辑,你认为错误的那个人岂非也在坚守他们的真理呢?
So, what you have is two extremes that shut out all possible avenues of conversations.
所以,两个极端的观点会关闭所有沟通的渠道。
I create provocative theater and film to touch, humanize
我创作有启发意义的舞台剧和电影来打动和感化人们,
and move disagreeing parties to the conversation table to bridge misunderstandings.
让不同见解的各方获得沟通的平台来消除各自的误解。
I know that listening to one another will not magically solve all problems.
我知道靠倾听无法神奇地解决所有问题。
But it will give a chance to create avenues to start to work together to solve many of humanity's problems.
但可以给我们机会创建渠道,为解决诸多人道问题来共同努力。

我是如何用艺术来化解误解的

With my first play, "Silent Voices,"
我的第一部戏剧,“沉默的声音”,
based on interviews with victims of the Northern Uganda war between the government and Joseph Kony's LRA rebel group,
素材来自于乌干达北部战争受害者的采访,这是政府军和约瑟夫·科尼的LRA反叛军之间的战争。
I brought together victims, political leaders, religious leaders, cultural leaders,
我把战争受害者,政治领袖,宗教领袖,文化领袖,
the Amnesty Commission and transitional justice leadership for critical conversations on issues of justice for war crime victims
特赦委员会和过渡政府领导人召集到一起,严肃交流了一些紧要话题,为战争罪行的受害者诉求公道,
the first of its kind in the history of Uganda. And so many powerful things happened, that I can't even cover them all right now.
这在乌干达的历史上是第一次。之间发生了许多有影响力的事,时间有限,我无法全部诉说。
Victims were given the opportunity to sit at the table with Amnesty Commission leadership,
受害者有了这个机会和特赦委员会的领导人坐在一起,
and they expressed the big injustice they suffered
表达他们所经受的巨大的不公正待遇,
when the Commission ignored them and instead facilitated the resettlement of the war perpetrators.
当时特赦委员会忽视了他们,反而帮助战争肇事者重建家园。
And the Amnesty Commission acknowledged the victims' pain and explained the thinking behind their flawed approaches.
特赦委员会承认了受害者的痛苦,并解释了那有缺陷的措施背后的想法。
But one of the things that has stayed with me is when, during my Northern Uganda tour of the play,
我还记得其中有一件事,当我的戏剧在乌干达北部巡演时,
a man approached me and introduced himself as a former rebel soldier of Joseph Kony.
有一个男人找到我,自称是一个前反叛军的士兵。
He told me that he didn't want me to leave feeling disappointed, due to some of what I considered inappropriate laughter.
他告诉我,他不想让我带着失望离开,因为当时我听到一些不恰当的笑声。
He explained that his was a laughter of embarrassment and a recognition of his own embarrassment.
他解释说那是尴尬的笑声,并且意识到了自己的困窘。
He saw himself in the actors onstage and saw the meaninglessness of his past actions.
他在舞台上看到了自己,并且看到了自己曾经的行为毫无意义。
So I say: share your truths. Listen to one another's truths.
于是我说:分享你自己的真理。也倾听其它人的真理。
You will discover a more powerfully uniting truth in the middle ground.
你将会在中间地带发现一个更有力的共识。
When I lived in the USA, many of my American friends would be shocked at my ignorance at fancy Western dishes like lasagna, for instance.
当我在美国生活的时候,我的很多美国朋友会吃惊于我对高级的西餐的愚昧无知,比如千层面。
And my question to them would be, "Well, do you know malakwang?"
然后我就会问他们,“那么,你听说过malakwang吗?”
And then I would tell them about malakwang, a fancy vegetable dish from my culture.
然后我会告诉他们,malakwang是我们文化中的一道高级蔬菜料理。
And they would tell me about lasagna. And we would leave richer and fuller individuals.
他们会告诉我什么是千层面。结果我们会变得更丰富和完满。
Therefore, share your recipe truth. It makes for a better meal. Thank you.
所以,分享你的菜谱吧,你会做出更好的菜肴。谢谢你们!

分享到
重点单词
  • socialadj. 社会的,社交的 n. 社交聚会
  • provocativeadj. 气人的,挑拨的,刺激的 n. 刺激物,挑拨物,
  • thumbn. 拇指 v. 翻阅,示意要求搭车
  • humanityn. 人类,人性,人道,慈爱,(复)人文学科
  • provokingadj. 激怒人的,刺激人的 动词provoke的现在分
  • alternativeadj. 两者择一的; 供选择的; 非主流的 n. 替换
  • plainn. 平原,草原 adj. 清楚的,坦白的,简单的,平坦
  • criticaladj. 批评的,决定性的,危险的,挑剔的 adj. 临
  • recipen. 食谱,秘诀,药方
  • solvev. 解决,解答