向前一步(MP3+中英字幕):第68期 要成功 也要受欢迎(19)
日期:2018-04-25 19:13

(单词翻译:单击)

On my first night there in 2005, I was in the lounge with two close friends,
2005年峰会的第一个晚上,我在酒店大厅与两位好友相聚,
Diana Farrell, then head of the McKinsey Global Institute, and Sue Decker, then CFO of Yahoo.
他们是时任麦肯锡全球研究院院长的黛安娜·法雷尔和时任雅虎首席财务官的休·德克尔。
We were talking about the name of the conference, and I mentioned that when I saw the title on Google's corporate calendar,
我们聊起了会议的名称。我提到当看到谷歌日历上的标题时,
I ran to find Camille to ask her to change the name to "Fortune Women's Conference."
我立刻去找行政助理卡米尔,要她将会议名称改为“财富女人会”。
Diana and Sue laughed and said that they had done the exact same thing.
法雷尔和德克尔都大笑起来,说她们当时的反应和我一样。
Later, Pattie explained that she and her colleagues chose this name on purpose
后来,塞勒斯解释道,她之所以选择这样一个名称是有意而为之。
to force women to confront their own power and feel more comfortable with that word.
她要推动女性直面自己的力量,慢慢适应“强”这个词,并且以“强”为荣。
I still struggle with this.
我依然接受不了这个词。
I am fine applying the word "powerful" to other women—the more the better,
将“强”这个词用到其他女人身上我毫无意见——而且是越多越好,
but I still shake my head in denial when it is applied to me.
但对于将这个词用到自己身上,我还是摇头表示无法赞同。
The nagging voice in the back of my head reminds me, as it did in business school,
就像还在哈佛商学院时那样,我的脑子里不断响起一个声音提醒着我,
"Don't flaunt your success, or even let people know about your success.
“不要夸耀你的成功,甚至不要让人们知道你的成功。
If you do, people won't like you."
一旦这样做了,人们就不会再喜欢你。”
Less than six months after I started at Facebook, Mark and I sat down for my first formal review.
在我加入脸谱网不到6个月时,扎克伯格和我进行了第一次正式的工作总结。
One of the things he told me was that my desire to be liked by everyone would hold me back.
他告诉我,想要“赢得每个人的喜欢”这种想法会阻碍我的发展。
He said that when you want to change things, you can't please everyone.
他说,当你想要让事情有所改变时,你不可能取悦每个人;
If you do please everyone, you aren't making enough progress. Mark was right.
而如果你去取悦每个人,你就不会获得充分的进步。扎克伯格说得很对。

分享到