超能力是否存在之神力
日期:2018-01-24 11:52

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

If you wake up one morning with 1,000 times the strength you had the night before,
如果某天早上你醒来发现你的力量是昨晚的一千倍,
how will you handle delicate day-to-day tasks?
你该如何处理那些日常的任务?
Everything must seem so fragile to you since the scale of your strength has expanded one thousand times.
一切对于你来说都太脆弱了,因为你的力量已经扩大为原来的一千倍。
You'd have to be very careful when you're shaking someone's hand
你必须非常的小心,这样当你和别人握手的时候
so you don't end up breaking their bones or crushing everyone you hug.
才不至于把他们的骨头捏碎,或者把每个你拥抱的人给挤死。
And using a fork to pick up a piece of broccoli from a Styrofoam plate without driving the fork through the plate
此外,用餐叉从一个泡沫塑料盘子里叉起一块西兰花而不叉透盘子,
is going to be as difficult as brain surgery.
这难度将不亚于脑外科手术。
Say the day comes and you get the chance to save a damsel in distress falling from a helicopter.
如果真的有这么一天,你正好有机会去拯救一个正在从直升飞机上落下而身处险境中的少女。
So, you hold out your arms, hoping to catch her.
你伸出你的双臂,希望能接住她。
Seconds later, you will find yourself holding her lifeless body. What happened?
几秒之后,你却发现你抱着的是她的尸体。这是怎么回事?
Well, pressure is force divided by area. The smaller the area, the bigger the pressure.
其实,压强等于压力除以受力面积。受力面积越小,压强就越大。
This is why we can lift heavy objects without breaking our skin,
这就是为什么我们能抬起重物却不会伤到皮肤,
but a tiny needle can make us bleed with just a little poke.
但一个小小的针头只要轻轻扎一下就能让我们出血。
The pressure that will be exerted on her body can be calculated by force divided by the area on the top of your arms that comes in contact with her.
作用到她身上的压强可以通过压力除以你双臂上表面与她身体发生接触的面积来得出。
It doesn't matter if your arms are strong enough to catch her body without breaking your bones.
这和你双臂是否强壮到能接住她的身体而不骨折没有关系。
Her spine is not strong enough to be caught by you without being damaged.
问题是她的脊椎不够强壮,无法保证被你接住而不受损。
Even if you rip off the nearest door to provide a bigger area to catch her with, you still wouldn't be able to save her anyway.
就算你就近拆下一扇门来提供一个更大的表面积来接住她,你也还是无法救她一命。
Remember, it's not the fall that kills her, but the sudden stop at the bottom.
记住,她不是因为下落而死,而是因为落到地面后的骤然静止。

超能力是否存在之神力

Let's say she's falling from a 32 story building, about 300 feet,
比如说她正在从32层楼上落下,差不多300英尺,
and you are 6 feet tall, maybe 10 feet on your tippy-toes, with your arms above your head holding a door,
而你有6英尺高,可能踮起脚尖有10英尺高,你双臂将一扇门举过头顶,
in hopes of distributing the pressure across a larger surface area,
期望能够将压力分散作用于一个更大的表面积上,
but all you're doing is essentially moving the ground up by 10 feet.
但实际上你所做的只是把着陆点抬高了10英尺。
So, she's now falling from 290 feet, instead of 300 feet,
等于她现在是从290英尺落下,而不是300英尺,
reaching the speed of 173 feet per second just before impact, not counting air resistance.
这样她在落地时的速度可以达到每秒173英尺,不考虑空气阻力的话。
It's the equivalent of crashing at 94 miles per hour into a wall with a door in front of it.
这相当于以每小时94英里的速度顶着它前面的一扇门撞进墙里。
The only thing that could save her is flying.
这时只有会飞才能救她。
But that power comes with its own host of scientific issues.
但随之而来的是一系列与其相关的重要科学问题。
If you could fly, what you must do is fly up to her,
假如你会飞,你必须飞上去接住她,
start flying down at the speed she is falling, hold on to her,
然后以她下落的速度往下飞,抱紧她,
then gradually slow down until you come to a complete stop.
然后慢慢减速直到完全停住。
This process requires a lot of cushion space between the point she starts falling and the ground.
这个过程要求在她开始下落的地点到地面之间有一个很大的缓冲空间。
Every second you waste on changing into your superhero costume and flying up to her height,
你每多浪费一秒钟去换你的超级英雄战袍,然后飞到她所处的高度,
her head is getting that much closer to the pavement!
她的头离地面的距离会越来越近!
If she's falling from a high place, and you can't get to her until she's only a few feet above the ground,
如果她从一个很高的地方落下来,而你却在她离地面仅有几英尺的时候才接住她,
there's really nothing you can do other than magically turn the pavement into marshmellow to allow her enough time to slowly come to a stop.
那么,你也无能为力了,除非你能神奇的将坚硬的路面变成棉花糖,让她能有足够的时间慢慢停下来。
Then, break out the chocolate and graham crackers and you've got s'mores. Mmmm, delicious!
那么,拿出巧克力和全麦饼干,你就已经可以做“棉花糖巧克力夹心饼干”了。嗯,好吃!
Now, which superpower physics lesson will you explore next?
现在,你打算接着选择哪门超能力物理课去研究?
Shifting body size and content, super speed, flight, super strength, immortality, and invisibility.
是改变人体大小和成分,超级快的速度,飞行,神力,长生不老还是隐身。

分享到
重点单词
  • fragileadj. 易碎的,脆的,精细的
  • delicaten. 精美的东西 adj. 精美的,微妙的,美味的,纤细
  • poken. 刺,戳,袋 vt. 拨开,刺,戳 vi. 戳,刺,
  • spinen. 脊柱,脊椎,书脊,尖刺
  • calculatedadj. 计算出的;适合的;有计划的 v. 计算;估计;
  • equivalentadj. 等价的,相等的 n. 相等物
  • needlen. 针 vt. 用针缝,激怒,嘲弄 vi. 缝纫
  • costumen. 服装,剧装 vt. 提供服装,为 ... 设计服装
  • resistancen. 抵抗力,反抗,反抗行动;阻力,电阻;反对
  • flightn. 飞行,航班 n. 奇思妙想,一段楼梯 n.