BBC纪录片地平线《费马最后的定理》第26期:难以置信的启示
日期:2018-01-09 11:11

(单词翻译:单击)

听力文本

In desperation, Andrew called for help
绝望之中,安德鲁求助他人。
He invited his former student Richard Taylor to work with him in Princeton, but no solution came.
他邀请他的前学生理查德·泰勒来和他在普林斯顿进行研究,但没有解决问题。
after a year of failure, Andrew was ready to abandon his flawed proof.
经过一年的的失败,安德鲁准备要放弃他那有缺陷的证明。
In September, I decided to go back and look one more time at the original structure of Flach and Kolyvagin
九月份,我决定回去再看多一次弗拉赫和科里瓦金的结构
to try and pinpoint exactly why it wasn't working, try and formulate it precisely.
力图搞清楚究竟是怎么运作的,尝试要精确地用公式表达。

BBC纪录片地平线《费马最后的定理》

One can never really do that in mathematics
在数学当中是不可能那么做的,
but I just wanted to set my mind at rest that it really couldn't be made to work.
但我只是想让我的头脑接受,那确实是怎么也行不通了。
And I was sitting here at this desk.
我就坐在这张书桌这儿。
It was a Monday morning, September 19th and I was trying convincing myself that it didn't work,
那是星期一的早晨,9月19日,试着让自己确信那是不可行的,
just seeing exactly what the problem was when suddenly,
只是要确切了解症结在哪里,突然间
totally unexpectedly, I had this incredible revelation.
完全出乎意料地,我得到了这令人难以置信的启示。
I realised what was holding me up was exactly what would resolve the problem
我意识到让我停驻的正是可以解决问题的
I'd had in my Iwasawa theory attempt three years earlier.
我三年前就应该将伊娃沙娃理论的尝试进行到底的。
It was the most important moment of my working life.
那是我工作生涯中最重要的时刻。

视频及简介

本片从证明了费玛最后定理的安德鲁·怀尔斯开始谈起,描述了费玛最后定理的历史始末。


分享到