月亮和六便士(MP3+中英字幕) 第四十章(2)
日期:2017-12-27 07:06

(单词翻译:单击)

"Did you get what you wanted?" he asked.
“买到你要买的东西了吗?”他问。
"No."
“没有。”
We walked on in silence, and then came to a place where several streets met. I stopped at the curb.
我们又一声不响地往前走,最后走到一处几条路交叉的路口。我在马路边上停下来。
"Which way do you go?" I enquired.
“你往哪边走?”我问他。
"Your way," he smiled.
“同你走一条路。”
"I'm going home."
“我回家。”
"I'll come along with you and smoke a pipe."
“我到你那里去抽一斗烟。”
"You might wait for an invitation," I retorted frigidly.
“你总得等人请你吧。”我冷冷地说。
"I would if I thought there was any chance of getting one."
“要是我知道有被邀请的可能我就等着了。”
"Do you see that wall in front of you?" I said, pointing.
“你看到前面那堵墙了吗?”我问,向前面指了一下。
"Yes."
“看到了。”
"In that case I should have thought you could see also that I don't want your company."
“要是你还有这种眼力,我想你也就会看到我并不欢迎你了。”
"I vaguely suspected it, I confess."
“说老实话,我猜到了这一点。”
I could not help a chuckle. It is one of the defects of my character that I cannot altogether dislike anyone who makes me laugh. But I pulled myself together.
我噗哧地一声笑了。我不能讨厌一个能惹我发笑的人,这也许是我性格上的一个弱点。但是我马上就绷起脸来。
"I think you're detestable. You're the most loathsome beast that it's ever been my misfortune to meet. Why do you seek the society of someone who hates and despises you?"
“我觉得你是一个非常讨厌的人。我怎么会那么倒霉,认识了你这么一个最惹人嫌的东西。你为什么偏偏要缠着一个讨厌你、看不起你的人呢?”
"My dear fellow, what the hell do you suppose I care what you think of me?"
“你以为我很注意你对我的看法吗,老兄?”
"Damn it all," I said, more violently because I had an inkling my motive was none too creditable, "I don't want to know you."
“真见鬼!”我说,因为感觉到我的动机一点也站不住脚,反而装出一副更加气愤的样子。“我不想认识你。”
"Are you afraid I shall corrupt you?"
“你怕我会把你带坏了吗?”
His tone made me feel not a little ridiculous. I knew that he was looking at me sideways, with a sardonic smile.
他的语气让我觉得自己非常可笑。我知道他正斜着眼睛看我,脸上带着讥嘲的笑容。
"I suppose you are hard up," I remarked insolently.
“我猜想你手头又窘了吧!”我傲慢地说。
"I should be a damned fool if I thought I had any chance of borrowing money from you."
“要是我还认为有希望从你手里借到钱,我真是个大傻瓜了。”
"You've come down in the world if you can bring yourself to flatter."
“要是你硬逼着自己讨别人喜欢,那说明你现在已经穷得没有办法了。”
He grinned.
他咧开嘴笑了笑。
"You'll never really dislike me so long as I give you the opportunity to get off a good thing now and then."
“只要我不时地能叫你开开心,你是永远也不会真正讨厌我的。”
I had to bite my lip to prevent myself from laughing. What he said had a hateful truth in it, and another defect of my character is that I enjoy the company of those, however depraved, who can give me a Roland for my Oliver. I began to feel that my abhorrence for Strickland could only be sustained by an effort on my part. I recognised my moral weakness, but saw that my disapprobation had in it already something of a pose; and I knew that if I felt it, his own keen instinct had discovered it, too. He was certainly laughing at me up his sleeve. I left him the last word, and sought refuge in a shrug of the shoulders and taciturnity.
我不能不咬住嘴唇才憋着没有笑出来。他说的话尽管可恶,却有一定的真实性。此外,我的性格还有一个弱点:不论什么人,尽管道德上非常堕落,但只要能够和我唇枪舌剑,针锋相对,我还是愿意同他在一起的。我开始觉得我对思特里克兰德的厌恶只有靠我单方面努力才能维持下去。我认识到我精神上的弱点,看到我对他的态度实在有点儿装腔作势。而且我还知道,如果我自己已经感觉到这点,思特里克兰德的敏锐的观察力是不会看不到的。他肯定正在暗暗地笑我呢。我耸了耸肩膀,没有再说什么,让他在这场舌战中占了上风。

分享到