如何在后院种出一片森林
日期:2017-10-15 22:33

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

This is a man-made forest. It can spread over acres and acres of area,
这是一片人造树林。它能长到几亩地,
or it could fit in a small space -- as small as your house garden.
也能在一个小的空间生长,比如你的后花园。
Each of these forests is just two years old.
这些树林都只生长了两年。
I have a forest in the backyard of my own house. It attracts a lot of biodiversity.
我在自家后院也有一片森林。它吸引了很多不同的物种。
I wake up to this every morning, like a Disney princess.
我每天早上都被鸟鸣声叫醒,就跟迪士尼电影的公主一样。
I am an entrepreneur who facilitates the making of these forests professionally.
我是一个企业家,专门种植和管理这些树林的企业家。
We have helped factories, farms, schools, homes, resorts, apartment buildings,
我们帮助过工厂、农场、学校、住宅、度假胜地、公寓楼、
public parks and even a zoo to have one of such forests.
公园、甚至还有动物园,种植这些树林。
A forest is not an isolated piece of land where animals live together.
树林可不是一个只有动物住在一起的孤立的地方。
A forest can be an integral part of our urban existence.
一片森林可以与我们的城市融为一体。
A forest, for me, is a place so dense with trees that you just can't walk into it.
一片森林,对我来说,是一片树木密到你都走不进去的地方。
It doesn't matter how big or small they are.
无论森林是大是小。
Most of the world we live in today was forest. This was before human intervention.
我们现在居住世界上的大部分地方都曾经是森林。在人为干扰之前都是森林。
Then we built up our cities on those forests, like Sao Paulo,
然后我们在森林上面建起了城市,比如说圣保罗。
forgetting that we belong to nature as well, as much as 8.4 million other species on the planet.
似乎忘记了,其实我们自己也跟地球上的其他840万物种一样,也属于大自然。
Our habitat stopped being our natural habitat. But not anymore for some of us.
我们的栖息地不再是大自然栖息地。但我们有些人可不这样认为。
A few others and I today make these forests professionally -- anywhere and everywhere.
有些人像我一样,以种植森林为业,让森林遍布我们大地的每个角落。
I'm an industrial engineer. I specialize in making cars.
我是一个工业工程师。我的职业是制造汽车。
In my previous job at Toyota, I learned how to convert natural resources into products.
之前我供职于丰田公司的时候,我学会了怎样把自然资源变成产品。
To give you an example, we would drip the sap out of a rubber tree,
举个例子,我们从橡胶树上提取树液
convert it into raw rubber and make a tire out of it -- the product.
制成生橡胶,然后做成产品--轮胎。
But these products can never become a natural resource again.
不过这些产品再也不能变成自然资源了。
We separate the elements from nature and convert them into an irreversible state. That's industrial production.
我们从自然资源中分离出元素,并对它们进行了不可逆转的变化。这就是工业生产。
Nature, on the other hand, works in a totally opposite way.
自然正好以相反的方式运作。
The natural system produces by bringing elements together, atom by atom.
自然系统通过一个一个原子的聚集来创造物质。
All the natural products become a natural resource again.
所有的自然产品都能再变成自然资源。
This is something which I learned when I made a forest in the backyard of my own house.
这是当我在自家后院种出一片森林的时候我心里的收获。
And this was the first time I worked with nature, rather than against it.
这是我第一次顺应自然行事,而不是逆自然行事。
Since then, we have made 75 such forests in 25 cities across the world.
从那时开始,我们在世界上的25个城市种植了75片森林。
Every time we work at a new place, we find that every single element needed to make a forest is available right around us.
每到一个新地方,我们发现,要种出一片森林,所需的所有东西就在身边。
All we have to do is to bring these elements together and let nature take over.
我们要做的就是把这些成分集合起来,然后让自然来接手。
To make a forest we start with soil. We touch, feel and even taste it to identify what properties it lacks.
种植一片森林首先需要土壤。我们通过触摸、感受甚至品尝土壤,来识别它缺乏什么。
If the soil is made up of small particles it becomes compact -- so compact, that water cannot seep in.
如果土壤是由小颗粒组成的,它就会紧凑,如果太过于紧凑,水就渗不进去。
We mix some local biomass available around, which can help soil become more porous. Water can now seep in.
我们就会加入一些当地能找到的生物质,让土壤更加疏松,让水能够渗入。
If the soil doesn't have the capacity to hold water,
如果土壤不能够涵养水分,
we will mix some more biomass -- some water-absorbent material like peat or bagasse,
我们就会再多加一点生物质,一些像泥炭或者米粒这样的吸水物质,
so soil can hold this water and it stays moist.
让土壤能够涵养水分,保持潮湿。
To grow, plants need water, sunlight and nutrition. What if the soil doesn't have any nutrition in it?
植物要有水分、阳光和养料才能生长。如果土壤没有养分怎么办呢?
We don't just add nutrition directly to the soil. That would be the industrial way.
我们并不是直接向土壤中加养料。这是工业化的做法。
It goes against nature. We instead add microorganisms to the soil.
这是违背自然的。而我们是把微生物加到土壤中去。
They produce the nutrients in the soil naturally.
它们会自然而然地制造养料。
They feed on the biomass we have mixed in the soil, so all they have to do is eat and multiply.
它们以我们加到土壤中的生物质为生,它们只要吃和繁殖就行了。
And as their number grows, the soil starts breathing again. It becomes alive.
当它们繁殖到一定数目,土壤的透气性就又有所改善了。它会变得有生命力。
We survey the native tree species of the place. How do we decide what's native or not?
我们调查当地树种。我们怎样判断哪些是当地物种呢?
Well, whatever existed before human intervention is native. That's the simple rule.
在人为干预前就存在的物种就是当地的物种。这是个简单的道理。
We survey a national park to find the last remains of a natural forest.
我们调查国家公园,找出最后一片自然森林。
We survey the sacred groves, or sacred forests around old temples.
我们调查罕见的小树林,或者旧庙宇周围的罕见树林。
And if we don't find anything at all, we go to museums to see the seeds or wood of trees existing there a long time ago.
如果我们什么都找不到,我们就去博物馆,看看很久以前这里生长的树木或者种子是什么。

QQ截图20171015223332.png

We research old paintings, poems and literature from the place, to identify the tree species belonging there.
我们从当地的旧画作、诗歌和文学作品中寻找痕迹,来识别当地物种。
Once we know our trees, we divide them in four different layers: shrub layer, sub-tree layer, tree layer and canopy layer.
一旦我们知道是什么树种,我们就把它们分成四种:灌木层、草本层、乔木层和树冠层。
We fix the ratios of each layer, and then we decide the percentage of each tree species in the mix.
我们平衡各个层之间的比例,然后我们确定各个树种在总体中所占的比例。
If we are making a fruit forest, we increase the percentage of fruit-bearing trees.
如果我们种植的是果林,我们就增加果树的比例。
It could be a flowering forest, a forest that attracts a lot of birds or bees,
也可能是观赏性树林,那种会吸引很多鸟和蜜蜂的树林,
or it could simply be a native, wild evergreen forest.
也有可能只是一片本地野生常绿林。
We collect the seeds and germinate saplings out of them.
我们收集种子,播撒它们,让它们长成幼苗。
We make sure that trees belonging to the same layer are not planted next to each other,
我们确保同一树层的树木不会种在一起,
or they will fight for the same vertical space when they grow tall.
不然它们就会竞争同一个高度上的空间。
We plant the saplings close to each other.
我们把幼苗密集地种在一起。
On the surface, we spread a thick layer of mulch, so when it's hot outside the soil stays moist.
我们会在表面上覆盖上厚厚一层护盖物,这样即使室外温度很高,土壤也能保持湿润。
When it's cold, frost formation happens only on the mulch, so soil can still breathe while it's freezing outside.
室外温度很低时,也只有护盖物上会结霜,这样外面很冷的时候,土壤仍能透气。
The soil is very soft -- so soft, that roots can penetrate into it easily, rapidly.
土壤很柔软,非常柔软,让植物的根部容易舒展,且能快速舒展。
Initially, the forest doesn't seem like it's growing, but it's growing under the surface.
一开始,树林好像没什么变化,不过它们在地表下生长。
In the first three months, roots reach a depth of one meter.
在最初的三个月里,树根能够扎到一米深。
These roots form a mesh, tightly holding the soil. Microbes and fungi live throughout this network of roots.
这些树根形成网状物,紧紧地抓住土壤。微生物和菌类布满在错综复杂的根部网络中。
So if some nutrition is not available in the vicinity of a tree, these microbes are going to get the nutrition to the tree.
所以,如果树木周围缺乏某种养分,它们就能够提供该种养分。
Whenever it rains, magically, mushrooms appear overnight.
每当下雨的时候,蘑菇就会像魔法一样在一夜之间冒出头来。
And this means the soil below has a healthy fungal network.
这证明了土壤拥有正常的菌群。
Once these roots are established, forest starts growing on the surface.
根系建立起来之后,森林就在地表上生长。
As the forest grows we keep watering it -- for the next two to three years, we water the forest.
森林生长的时候我们不断灌溉,在接下来的两三年里,主要任务就是灌溉。
We want to keep all the water and soil nutrition only for our trees, so we remove the weeds growing on the ground.
我们想让树木得到所有的养料和水分,所以要不断除草。
As this forest grows, it blocks the sunlight.
森林生长起来后,会遮住阳光。
Eventually, the forest becomes so dense that sunlight can't reach the ground anymore.
最终,森林变得十分密集,阳光无法再照射到地面。
Weeds cannot grow now, because they need sunlight as well.
野草因为照不到阳光而无法再生长。
At this stage, every single drop of water that falls into the forest doesn't evaporate back into the atmosphere.
在这个阶段,落到树林里的每一滴水都不会蒸发回大气层。
This dense forest condenses the moist air and retains its moisture.
密集的树林使空气变得湿润,而且使它保持这种湿度。
We gradually reduce and eventually stop watering the forest.
我们慢慢减少浇灌量,最终停止浇灌。
And even without watering, the forest floor stays moist and sometimes even dark.
现在即使不浇水,森林的地表也能保持湿润,甚至肥沃。
Now, when a single leaf falls on this forest floor, it immediately starts decaying.
现在,当一片树叶落到地面上,它会立即开始腐烂。
This decayed biomass forms humus, which is food for the forest.
腐烂的生物质形成森林的食物--腐殖质。
As the forest grows, more leaves fall on the surface
森林继续生长,更多的树叶会落到地上,
it means more humus is produced, it means more food so the forest can grow still bigger.
产生更多的腐殖质,森林的养分更加充足,能长得更大。
And this forest keeps growing exponentially.
这片森林会迅速生长。
Once established, these forests are going to regenerate themselves again and again -- probably forever.
一旦种植成功,这些树林会不断繁衍,永不停息。
In a natural forest like this, no management is the best management.
在这样的自然森林中,不用管理就是最好的管理方式。
It's a tiny jungle party. This forest grows as a collective.
就像这个小型的“丛林聚会”。这片森林聚集了各种树种。
If the same trees -- same species -- would have been planted independently, it wouldn't grow so fast.
如果将同一种树,同一个物种分开种植的话,它不会长得这么快。
And this is how we create a 100-year-old forest in just 10 years. Thank you very much.
这就是在十年之内种出一片百岁森林的办法。谢谢。

分享到
重点单词
  • sacredadj. 神圣的,受尊重的
  • initiallyadv. 最初,开头
  • seepv. 渗出,渗漏 n. 渗漏,小泉,水(油)坑
  • evaporatev. 蒸发,失去水分,消失
  • isolatedadj. 分离的,孤立的
  • convertv. 变换,(使)转变,使 ... 改变信仰,倒置,兑换
  • producen. 产品,农作物 vt. 生产,提出,引起,分娩,制片
  • penetratev. 穿透,渗透,看穿
  • formationn. 构造,编队,形成,队形,[地]地层
  • shrubn. 灌木 n. 果汁甜酒