约翰·传奇的救赎之歌
日期:2017-10-04 12:58

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

At Free America, we've done a listening and learning tour.
“自由美国”刚刚完成了一次倾听和学习之旅。
We visited not only with prosecutors but with legislators, with inmates in our state and local prisons.
我们不仅拜访了检察官以及立法委员,还有在我们州立和地方监狱中的被收容者。
We've gone to immigration detention centers. We've met a lot of people.
我们去了移民拘留中心。我们见了很多人。
And we've seen that redemption and transformation can happen in our prisons, our jails and our immigration detention centers,
我们看到如果我们给正在监狱、拘留所和移民署看守所中
giving hope to those who want to create a better life after serving their time.
想在结束服役后创造更好生活的人以希望,救赎和变革会在此发生。
Imagine if we also considered the front end of this prison pipeline.
让我们再想想这条监狱输送线的前端。
What would it look like if we intervened, with rehabilitation as a core value -- with love and compassion as core values?
如果我们将改过自新作为核心价值,将爱与热情作为核心价值入手,那一切又将变成什么样子?
We would have a society that is safer, healthier and worthy of raising our children in.
我们将拥有一个更安全、更健康,值得让我们的孩子在其中成长的社会。
I want to introduce you to James Cavitt.
下面我想介绍詹姆斯·卡维特。
James served 12 years in the San Quentin State Prison and is being released in 18 months.
詹姆斯在圣昆廷州立监狱服刑了12年,18个月后将刑满释放。
Now James, like you and me, is more than the worst thing he's done.
詹姆斯就像你我一样,不再被他所做过的最大恶事所定义人生。
He is a father, a husband, a son, a poet.
他是一个父亲,一个丈夫,一个儿子,一个诗人。
He committed a crime; he's paying his debt,
他犯过罪;但他正在偿还他的债务,
and working hard to build the skills to make the transition back to a productive life when he enters the civilian population again.
正在努力学习技能,好让生活在他重返文明社会时重回正轨。
Now James, like millions of people behind bars,
詹姆斯正如全国上百万囚犯一样,
is an example of what happens if we believe that our failings don't define who we are, that we are all worthy of redemption
成为了“如果我们坚信我们的错误不会一直定义我们的人生,相信我们都值得被救赎,那么一切将会有什么不同”的范例。
and if we support those impacted by mass incarceration, we can all heal together.
而如果我们给予这些被囚禁者以支持,我们也能随他们一起得到治愈。
I'd like to introduce you to James right now, and he's going to share his journey of redemption through spoken word.
现在我就将向你们介绍詹姆斯,他将通过演讲,与你们分享他的救赎之旅。
Thanks, John. TED, welcome to San Quentin. The talent is abundant behind prison walls.
谢谢,约翰!TED,欢迎来到圣昆廷。在狱墙之后隐藏着丰富的天赋才华。
Future software engineers, entrepreneurs, craftsmen, musicians and artists.
未来的软件工程师、企业家、工匠、音乐家和艺术家。
This piece is inspired by all of the hard work that men and women are doing on the inside
而这些才华正是男人们女人们在狱中,所有的辛勤工作所激发产生的。
to create better lives and futures for themselves after they serve their time.
为了让他们在结束服役后,能够为他们自己创造更好的生活。
This piece is entitled, "Where I Live."
这一部分我的演讲叫做“我所居住的地方”。
I live in a world where most people are too afraid to go.
我住在一个大多数人极其恐惧来到的地方。
Surrounded by tall, concrete walls, steel bars, where razor wire have a way of cutting away at the hopes for a brighter tomorrow.
被高高的混凝土墙、铁窗所包围,这里的铁丝网能切断人们对于更光明未来的希望。
I live in a world that kill people who kill people in order to teach people that killing people is wrong. Imagine that.
我住在一个通过杀死杀死别人的人来教导人们杀人不对的世界。请想象一下。

约翰·传奇的救赎之歌

Better yet, imagine a world where healed people helped hurt people heal and become strong.
那么更好的是,如果我们想象有一个被治愈者帮助受到伤害的人恢复,从而变得更加强大的世界。
Maybe then we would all be singin' "Redemption Song."
也许这样的世界里每个人都在高唱着“救赎之歌”。
I live in a world that has been called "hell on Earth" by those trapped inside.
我住在一个被关押在其中的人称为“地球上的地狱”的地方。
But I've come to the stark realization that prison -- it really is what you make it.
但我逐渐明显地意识到监狱--到底是什么景象其实取决于你的内心。
You see, in spite of the harshness of my reality, there is a silver lining.
你看,尽管现实严酷,生活仍有美好幸福的一面。
I knew that my freedom was gonna come, it was just a matter of time.
我知道我的自由即将到来,这只是时间问题。
And so I treated my first steps as if they were my last mile,
而因此我就像人生最后一英里一样对待我的第一步,
and I realized that you don't have to be free in order to experience freedom.
而我也意识到想要经历自由,未必需要人身自由。
And just because you're free, doesn't mean that you have freedom.
而你似乎拥有着人身自由时,也不意味着你拥有真正的自由。
Many of us, for years, have been battling our inner demons.
我们中的许多人,多年以来,一直在与心中的恶魔战斗。
We walk around smiling when inside we're really screamin': freedom!
我们四顾微笑,而内心却在疾呼:自由!
Don't you get it? We're all serving time; we're just in different places.
你懂吗?你我都是为了自由的服刑人员;我们只是处在不同的地方而已。
As for me, I choose to be free from the prisons I've created. The key: forgiveness.
对我而言,我选择从我自己所创造的监狱中获得自由。关键是原谅。
Action's my witness. If we want freedom, then we gotta think different.
行动是我的见证者。如果我想要得到自由,思想要有所不同。
Because freedom ... it isn't a place. It's a mind setting. Thank you.
因为自由...它不是一个地方。它是一种思想境界。谢谢!
Old pirates, yes, they rob I. Sold I to the merchant ships.
老海盗们,对,他们抢劫了我。把我卖到了商船。
Minutes after they took I from the bottomless pit.
过了没多久,他们把我从无尽的深渊中救了出来。
My hands were made strong by the hand of the almighty.
我的手因为上帝之恩,变得有力。
We forward in this generation triumphantly.
我们在这一时代前行,成功又自豪。
Won't you help to sing these songs of freedom?
你不禁开始唱起那些关于自由的歌了吗?
'Cause all I ever had -- redemption songs. Redemption songs.
因为我曾拥有的--那些救赎之歌。那些救赎之歌。
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.
把自己从思想牢笼中解放。除了自己,没有人能解放我们的思想。
Have no fear for atomic energy 'cause none of them can stop the time.
不惧任何力量,因为没有什么能停止时间。
How long shall they kill our prophets while we stand aside and look?
他们杀害我们的先知要到几时呢,而我们只能在一旁观望?
Some say it's just a part of it, we've got to fulfill the book.
有些人说这只是一部分,我们还有很多事要做。
Won't you help to sing these songs of freedom?
你不禁开始唱起那些关于自由的歌了吗?
'Cause all I ever had -- redemption songs. Redemption songs.
因为我曾拥有的--那些救赎之歌。那些救赎之歌。
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery. None but ourselves can free our minds.
把自己从思想牢笼中解放。除了自己,没有人能解放我们的思想。
Have no fear for atomic energy 'cause none of them can stop the time.
不惧任何力量,因为没有什么能停止时间。
How long shall they kill our prophets while we stand aside and look?
他们杀害我们的先知要到几时呢,而我们只能在一旁观望?
Some say it's just a part of it, we've got to fulfill the book.
有些人说这只是一部分,我们还有很多事要做。
Won't you help to sing these songs of freedom?
你不禁开始唱起那些关于自由的歌了吗?
'Cause all I ever had -- redemption songs. Redemption songs. These songs of freedom.
因为我曾拥有的--那些救赎之歌。那些救赎之歌。
'Cause all I ever had -- redemption songs. Redemption songs. Redemption songs.
因为我曾拥有的--那些救赎之歌。那些救赎之歌。
Thank you. Thank you.
谢谢!谢谢!

分享到
重点单词
  • mentaladj. 精神的,脑力的,精神错乱的 n. 精神病患者
  • civilianadj. 平民的 n. 罗马法专家,平民
  • settingn. 安装,放置,周围,环境,(为诗等谱写的)乐曲 动词
  • rehabilitationn. 复原
  • pipelinen. 管道,管线
  • definev. 定义,解释,限定,规定
  • populationn. 人口 ,(全体)居民,人数
  • coren. 果心,核心,要点 vt. 挖去果核
  • inspiredadj. 有创见的,有灵感的
  • entitledadj. 有资格的,已被命名的 动词entitle的过去