表现地球美丽和脆弱的绘画
日期:2017-08-26 09:20

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

I consider it my life's mission to convey the urgency of climate change through my work.
我认为,通过我的作品传达气候的急剧变化,是我一生的使命。
I've traveled north to the Arctic to the capture the unfolding story of polar melt,
我曾北行至北极,以了解极地融化的发展,
and south to the Equator to document the subsequent rising seas.
也曾南行至赤道,记录持续上升的海平面。
Most recently, I visited the icy coast of Greenland and the low-lying islands of the Maldives,
最近,我参观了格陵兰冰冷的海岸和马尔代夫的低洼岛屿,
connecting two seemingly disparate but equally endangered parts of our planet.
这些海岸岛屿连接着地球上似乎不同却同样濒危的两个部分。
My drawings explore moments of transition, turbulence and tranquility in the landscape,
我的作品中包含了景色的过渡、不稳定气流和风景的宁静,
allowing viewers to emotionally connect with a place you might never have the chance to visit.
使观者可以与未曾拜访的地点产生情感上的连结。
I choose to convey the beauty as opposed to the devastation.
我选择传达这些美来对抗毁坏。
If you can experience the sublimity of these landscapes, perhaps you'll be inspired to protect and preserve them.
如果你能体会到这些景观的崇高,那么你就可能有心去保护和维护他们。
Behavioral psychology tells us that we take action and make decisions based on our emotions above all else.
行为心理学告诉我们,人们做出行动或者作出决定,最受情感的影响。
And studies have shown that art impacts our emotions more effectively than a scary news report.
研究表明,艺术对我们感情的影响比一则可怕的新闻报道更有效。
Experts predict ice-free Arctic summers as early as 2020.
专家预测北极无冰的夏天将出现在2020年。
And sea levels are likely to rise between two and ten feet by century's end.
而且截止到本世纪末,海平面可能升高2~10英尺。
I have dedicated my career to illuminating these projections with an accessible medium,
我献出我的职业生涯,以突出这些预测,我利用一种易接触的媒介,
one that moves us in a way that statistics may not.
以一种统计数据所无法实现的方式触动人们。
My process begins with traveling to the places at the forefront of climate change.
我的过程开始于去那些气候变化的前沿地区。
On-site, I take thousands of photographs. Back in the studio,
在现场,我拍了上千张的照片。回到工作室之后,
I work from both my memory of the experience and the photographs to create very large-scale compositions, sometimes over 10 feet wide.
凭借我对那些感受的记忆和这些照片,我创造出非常大的布景,有时超过10英尺宽。
I draw with soft pastel, which is dry like charcoal, but colors.
我使用软粉彩棒绘画,它如同炭笔,是干性画材,但是色彩丰富。
I consider my work drawings but others call them painting.
我认为我的作品是简单的线条勾勒,而其他人则认为是多彩的拼接。
I cringe, though, when I'm referred to as a "finger painter."
被称做“手指画家”,令我颤抖。
But I don't use any tools and I have always used my fingers and palms to manipulate the pigment on the paper.
但是我不使用任何工具,而且我一直使用我的手指和手掌来巧妙地处理纸上的色彩。
Drawing is a form of meditation for me. It quiets my mind.
绘画对我而言是一种沉思。它使我的大脑冷静。
I don't perceive what I'm drawing as ice or water.
我认为我画的不仅仅是冰或是水。
Instead, the image is stripped down to its most basic form of color and shape.
这图像是剥离下来的颜色和形状的最基本形式。
Once the piece is complete, I can finally experience the composition as a whole,
一旦这幅画完成,我便能能完整体验全景,
as an iceberg floating through glassy water, or a wave cresting with foam.
它像一座浮在光滑水面上的冰山,又像一片卷着泡沫的波浪。
On average, a piece this size takes me about, as you can see, 10 seconds.
平均下来,一幅这么大的画作,如你所能看到的,大约需要10秒钟。

表现地球美丽和脆弱的绘画

Really, more like 200 hours, 250 hours for something that size.
事实上,那样尺寸的作品大致需要200或250小时。
But I've been drawing ever since I could hold a crayon, really.
而且,自从我能够抓住蜡笔开始,我就已经在绘画了。
My mom was an artist, and growing up, we always had art supplies all over the house.
我妈妈是一位艺术家,在我成长的过程中,家里总会有一些画材。
My mother's love of photography propelled her to the most remote regions of the earth,
妈妈对于摄影的热爱,推动她前往地球上最偏远的地区,
and my family and I were fortunate enough to join and support her on these adventures.
我的家人和我都很荣幸可以参与并支持她的这些冒险。
We rode camels in Northern Africa and mushed on dog sleds near the North Pole.
我们在北非骑骆驼,在北极带狗撬在雪上前进。
In August of 2012, I led my first expedition, taking a group of artists and scholars up the northwest coast of Greenland.
在2012年8月,我开始了我的第一次远征,我带着一群艺术家和学者去了格陵兰岛的西北海岸。
My mother was originally supposed to lead this trip.
最开始,应当是我妈带领这个团体。
She and I were in the early stages of planning, as we had intended to go together, when she fell victim to a brain tumor.
我们在早期的计划中是打算一起去的,可是她却患了脑肿瘤。
The cancer quickly took over her body and mind, and she passed away six months later.
疾病迅速地侵蚀她的身体和心灵,她在六个月之后去世了。
During the months of her illness, though, her dedication to the expedition never wavered,
但是在她生病期间,她对这次远征的信念一直没有动摇,
and I made a promise to carry out her final journey.
我承诺她完成她的最后一次旅行。
My mother's passion for the Arctic echoed through my experience in Greenland,
我妈妈对北极的热情一直回响在我格陵兰岛的经历中,
and I felt the power and the fragility of the landscape. The sheer size of the icebergs is humbling.
我感受到了景观的力量和脆弱。冰山的实际尺寸是令人震撼的。
The ice fields are alive with movement and sound in a way that I never expected.
那冰原是有生命的,它以我从未想到的方式移动并发出声音。
I expanded the scale of my compositions to give you that same sense of awe that I experienced.
我扩大构图的规模,提供给大家我所体会到的威严。
Yet, while the grandeur of the ice is evident, so, too, is its vulnerability.
然而,虽然冰的壮丽显而易见,它的脆弱也同样显著。
From our boat, I could see the ice sweating under the unseasonably warm sun.
从我们的船上,我能看到冰在反常的阳光下慢慢消融。
We had a chance to visit many of the Inuit communities in Greenland that now face huge challenges.
我们参观格陵兰岛的很多因纽特社区,这些社区现在正面临着巨大的挑战。
The locals spoke to me of vast areas of sea ice that are no longer freezing over as they once did.
当地人告诉我,大片的海冰不再像以前那样结冰。
And without ice, their hunting and harvesting grounds are severely diminished, threatening their way of life and survival.
而没有了冰,他们的狩猎和收获集中地大量减少,这些都威胁着他们生活的方式,甚至生存。
The melting glaciers in Greenland are one of the largest contributing factors to rising sea levels,
格陵兰岛冰川的融化是导致海平面上升最具影响力的因素之一,
which have already begun to drown some of our world's lowest-lying islands.
上升的海平面已经开始淹没世界上海拔最低的一些岛屿。
One year after my trip to Greenland, I visited the Maldives, the lowest and flattest country in the entire world.
格陵兰岛之行的一年之后,我前往了马尔代夫,马尔代夫是世界上海拔最低最平坦的国家。
While I was there, I collected images and inspiration for a new body of work:
在那里的时候,我收集了一些图片和灵感,以形成一个新作品的构思,
drawings of waves lapping on the coast of a nation that could be entirely underwater within this century.
我打算绘出海浪拍打在这个国家海岸上的景象,这个国家可能在这个世纪被完全淹没在水中。
Devastating events happen every day on scales both global and personal.
破坏性的事件每天都在发生,不论是对地球还是对个人。
When I was in Greenland, I scattered my mother's ashes amidst the melting ice.
当我在格陵兰岛的时候,我把妈妈的骨灰撒落在融化的冰中。
Now she remains a part of the landscape she loved so much, even as it, too, passes and takes on new form.
现在她成为她最爱的景观中的一部分,尽管这景象在流逝,并呈现出新的形式。
Among the many gifts my mother gave me was the ability to focus on the positive, rather than the negative.
在我妈妈赠与我的很多礼物中,有一份礼物是关注积极而不是消极的能力。
My drawings celebrate the beauty of what we all stand to lose.
我的作品称颂那些我们眼睁睁失去的美丽。
I hope they can serve as records of sublime landscapes in flux,
我希望它们可以记录那些不断流动的壮美景观,
documenting the transition and inspiring our global community to take action for the future. Thank you.
记录这些过渡的变化,并且鼓舞世界为了未来做出行动。谢谢。

分享到