那些我们还没有勇气追逐的梦想
日期:2017-08-16 23:01

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

When I think about dreams, like many of you, I think about this picture.
每当我想到梦想,跟很多人一样,我会想到这张照片。
I was eight when I watched Neil Armstrong step off the Lunar Module onto the surface of the Moon.
那年我八岁,看到尼尔·阿姆斯特朗从登月舱出来,踏上月球表面。
I had never seen anything like it before, and I've never seen anything like it since.
那是一个空前绝后的场景。
We got to the Moon for one simple reason: John Kennedy committed us to a deadline.
我们登上了月球,只为一个简单的原因:约翰·肯尼迪对我们承诺了最后期限。
And in the absence of that deadline, we would still be dreaming about it.
如果没有这样一个期限,我们至今都还在做登月美梦。
Leonard Bernstein said two things are necessary for great achievement: a plan and not quite enough time.
伦纳德·伯恩斯坦曾经说过,伟大的成就有两个必要条件:一是计划,二是不太足够的时间。
Deadlines and commitments are the great and fading lessons of Apollo.
最后期限和承诺,是阿波罗计划留给我们宝贵却渐渐被淡忘的课程。
And they are what give the word "moonshot" its meaning.
是它们赋予了“登月任务”独特的意义。
And our world is in desperate need of political leaders willing to set bold deadlines
当今世界非常需要能够设定大胆期限的政治领袖,
for the achievement of daring dreams on the scale of Apollo again.
来实现能媲美阿波罗登月计划的新梦想。
When I think about dreams, I think about the drag queens of LA and Stonewall
每当我想到梦想,我会想到洛杉矶和石墙酒吧的变装皇后们,
and millions of other people risking everything to come out when that was really dangerous,
以及那些数以百万、不顾一切危险、勇敢站出来的人们,
and of this picture of the White House lit up in rainbow colors, yes...
也会想到这张白宫亮起彩虹旗的照片,是的...
celebrating America's gay and lesbian citizens' right to marry.
庆祝美国同性恋的婚姻合法化。
It is a picture that in my wildest dreams I could never have imagined when I was 18
我不敢奢望的梦想竟有实现的一天。那年我十八岁,
and figuring out that I was gay and feeling estranged from my country and my dreams because of it.
因意识到了自己是一个男同性恋,而感觉到自己被国家抛弃,觉得自己离梦想越来越远。
I think about this picture of my family that I never dreamed I could ever have...
我从没想过我可以有这样一张梦想中的家庭照...
and of our children holding this headline I never dreamed could ever be printed about the Supreme Court ruling.
我们的孩子拿着这篇报刊头条,我做梦也没想到,最高法院的裁决就这样出现在这份头条里。
We need more of the courage of drag queens and astronauts.
我们需要更多变装皇后和宇航员那样的勇气。
But I want to talk about the need for us to dream in more than one dimension,
但是我想以不同的角度讨论我们需要梦想的必要性,
because there was something about Apollo that I didn't know when I was 8, and something about organizing that the rainbow colors over.
因为八岁的我并不知道阿波罗计划背后的故事,也不了解彩虹旗背后的艰辛。
Of the 30 astronauts in the original Mercury, Gemini and Apollo programs, only seven marriages survived.
30位水星、双子星和阿波罗先遣计划的宇航员中,只有七段婚姻侥幸存活。
Those iconic images of the astronauts bouncing on the Moon obscure the alcoholism and depression on Earth.
那些在月球表面弹跳的代表性画面,模糊了地球上那些宇航员酗酒和患忧郁症的现实。
Thomas Merton, the Trappist monk, asked during the time of Apollo,
托马斯·默顿,特拉普派的修士,在阿波罗计划期间提问过,
"What can we gain by sailing to the moon if we are not able to cross the abyss that separates us from ourselves?"
“如果我们不能克服人与人之间的鸿沟,航行到月球对我们又有何益处?”
And what can we gain by the right to marry if we are not able to cross the acrimony and emotional distance that so often separates us from our love?
如果我们无法跨越言语的刻薄和情感的疏离,即使有了结婚的权利,我们又如何能从中获益?
And not just in marriage. I have seen the most hurtful, destructive, tragic infighting in LGBT and AIDS
不仅仅在婚姻方面。我曾经见过最伤人的、最破坏性的、最惨烈的内讧发生在同性恋与艾滋病患者之间,
and breast cancer and non-profit activism, all in the name of love.
发生在乳癌患者和非盈利组织之中,而且这些都被冠以爱的名义。
Thomas Merton also wrote about wars among saints and that
托马斯·默顿也曾写过圣人之间的战争,并说道:
"there is a pervasive form of contemporary violence to which the idealist most easily succumbs: activism and overwork.
“让理想主义者最容易屈服的当代暴力形式就是:行动主义和工作过劳。
The frenzy of our activism neutralizes our work for peace. It destroys our own inner capacity for peace."
行动主义的狂热抵消了我们为和平的努力。它破坏我们内心对和平的向往。”
Too often our dreams become these compartmentalized fixations on some future that destroy our ability to be present for our lives right now.
我们的梦想往往太过定焦于未来,让我们失去了活在当下的能力。
Our dreams of a better life for some future humanity or some other humanity in another country
当我们为下一代或其他国家的人们努力创造美好未来的同时,
alienate us from the beautiful human beings sitting next to us at this very moment.
我们却疏远了此时此刻坐在我们身边的美好人们。
Well, that's just the price of progress, we say.
好吧,我们说这就是进步的代价。
You can go to the Moon or you can have stability in your family life.
你可以登上月球,或者选择稳定的家庭生活。
And we can't conceive of dreaming in both dimensions at the same time.
鱼和熊掌不可兼得。
And we don't set the bar much higher than stability when it comes to our emotional life.
谈到感情生活的时候,我们也不敢奢望太多,简单稳定就好。
Which is why our technology for talking to one another has gone vertical,
这就是为什么帮助我们与他人交流的科技呈垂直式的线性成长,
our ability to listen and understand one another has gone nowhere.
而我们倾听和理解他人的能力却停滞不前。
Our access to information is through the roof, our access to joy, grounded.
我们获取信息的能力突飞猛进,但获得快乐的能力却在原地踏步。
But this idea, that our present and our future are mutually exclusive,
但是,认为现在和未来不可兼得,
that to fulfill our potential for doing we have to surrender our profound potential for being,
如果要发挥成大事的的潜能,就要放弃实现生命本质的无穷潜力,这个观点是错误的,
that the number of transistors on a circuit can be doubled and doubled,
电路版上的晶体管可以倍数增长,
but our capacity for compassion and humanity and serenity and love is somehow limited is a false and suffocating choice.
但是我们的同情心、人道、平常心和爱的能力,却因此受限无法发挥,这是自掘坟墓的选择。
Now, I'm not suggesting simply the uninspiring idea of more work-life balance.
我不是陈腔滥调地建议你维持工作、生活的平衡。
What good is it for me to spend more time with my kids at home if my mind is always somewhere else while I'm doing it?
如果心不在焉,那花更多的时间待在家陪孩子也没有意义。

那些我们还没有勇气追逐的梦想

I'm not even talking about mindfulness. Mindfulness is all of a sudden becoming a tool for improving productivity. Right?
我现在也不是在讲专注觉察。不知什么时候,专注觉察变成了提高效率的代名词。是吧?
I'm talking about dreaming as boldly in the dimension of our being as we do about industry and technology.
我现在讲的是筑梦,就像我们勇于在工业与科技中筑梦一样。
I'm talking about an audacious authenticity that allows us to cry with one another,
我在讨论一种无畏的真情,一种可以让我们相拥大哭,
a heroic humility that allows us to remove our masks and be real.
一种可以让我们摘下面具、活出真实的伟大人性。
It is our inability to be with one another, our fear of crying with one another,
正因为我们无法与人沟通相处,我们害怕与人相拥哭泣,
that gives rise to so many of the problems we are frantically trying to solve in the first place, from Congressional gridlock to economic inhumanity.
因此,造成了许多让我们焦头烂额的问题,比如国会里的僵局和经济问题。
I'm talking about what Jonas Salk called an Epoch B, a new epoch in which
我谈的是乔纳斯·索尔克的B时代,在这个时代的我们,
we become as excited about and curious about and scientific about the development of our humanity as we are about the development of our technology.
无论是对于科技的进步还是对于人性的发展,都无比的激动、无比的好奇、无比的理性。
We should not shrink from this opportunity simply because we don't really understand it.
我们不能因为不理解它而畏怯这样的机会。
There was a time when we didn't understand space. Or because we're more used to technology and activism.
曾经,我们也不了解太空。或是因为我们已经更习惯于科技和行动主义了。
That is the very definition of being stuck in a comfort zone.
这只是说明了我们摆脱不了舒适圈。
We are now very comfortable imagining unimaginable technological achievement.
我们现在很舒服地幻想不可思议的科技成就。
In 2016, it is the dimension of our being itself that cries out for its fair share of our imagination.
2016年,人类内在的真我迫切需要我们,多花点精力为它筑梦。
Now, we're all here to dream, but maybe if we're honest about it, each of us chasing our own dream.
各位今天来这里都是要追逐梦想的,如果我们彼此真诚以待,我们都可以追逐自己的梦想。
You know, looking at the name tags to see who can help me with my dream, sometimes looking right through one another's humanity.
当我们环顾周围人的名牌、看有谁可以帮我完成梦想的时候,我们就有可能就忽略了名牌背后的那个灵魂。
I can't be bothered with you right now. I have an idea for saving the world. Right?
抱歉,我现在不想被打扰。我正在思考如何拯救世界。对吧?
Years ago, once upon a time, I had this beautiful company that created these long journeys for heroic civic engagement.
多年以前,我有一间公司,致力于推动公民参与小区活动。
And we had this mantra: "Human. Kind. Be Both."
我们的宗旨是:人性与仁慈,二者兼备。
And we encouraged people to experiment outrageously with kindness.
我们鼓励大家积极行善。
Like, "Go help everybody set up their tents." And there were a lot of tents.
比如,“帮助其他人搭帐篷。”然后很多帐篷就搭起来了。
"Go buy everybody Popsicles."
比如,“给每个人买一枝棒冰。”
"Go help people fix their flat tires even though you know the dinner line is going to get longer."
再比如,“帮助需要的人补胎,哪怕要花更多时间排队等晚餐。”
And people really took us up on this, so much so that if you got a flat tire on the AIDS ride, you had trouble fixing it,
人们还真的把我们的要求付诸行动。以至于如果你在爱滋宣传活动上车胎爆了,你很难去修好它,
because there were so many people there asking you if you needed help.
因为太多的人在询问你是否需要帮忙。
For a few days, for tens of thousands of people,
虽然活动只有几天,
we created these worlds that everybody said were the way they wish the world could always be.
但我们为数万名参与者创造了他们理想中的乌托邦。
What if we experimented with creating that kind of world these next few days?
如果在接下来的几天中我们进行打造乌托邦的实验,结果会是如何呢?
And instead of going up to someone and asking them, "What do you do?"
与其走到人们面前问道:“你是做什么的?”
ask them, "So what are your dreams?" or "What are your broken dreams?"
何不问问他们:“你的梦想是什么?”或者:“你未能实现的梦想是什么?”
You know, "TED." Tend to Each other's Dreams.
你知道TED代表什么吗?关心每一个人的梦想。
Maybe it's "I want to stay sober" or "I want to build a tree house with my kid."
也许梦想是“我想要戒酒”,或是“我想要为我的孩子搭一间树屋”。
You know, instead of going up to the person everybody wants to meet,
与其想认识大家都想结交的有名人士,
go up to the person who is all alone and ask them if they want to grab a cup of coffee.
何不走向那些被冷落的人,问问他们是否想喝杯咖啡。
I think what we fear most is that we will be denied the opportunity to fulfill our true potential,
我想我们最害怕的是我们没有机会去发挥真正的潜力,
that we are born to dream and we might die without ever having the chance.
害怕对生来就要逐梦的我们,在走到生命的尽头时却没有机会实现我们的梦想。
Imagine living in a world where we simply recognize that deep,
想象住在一个世界里,我们能理解彼此的恐惧,
existential fear in one another and love one another boldly because we know that to be human is to live with that fear.
并彼此勇敢地相爱,因为我们知道,要得到人生的真谛,必须学会与这种恐惧共存。
It's time for us to dream in multiple dimensions simultaneously,
是时候让我们同时从不同的角度一起梦想了,
and somewhere that transcends all of the wondrous things we can and will and must do lies the domain of all the unbelievable things we could be.
在那个超越我们所能完成美好事物的地方,在那个超乎想象的地方,让我们成就所有不可思议的梦想。
It's time we set foot into that dimension and came out about the fact that we have dreams there, too.
是时候让我们朝那新的方向去探索,并在那里开始实现我们的梦想。
If the Moon could dream, I think that would be its dream for us.
如果月亮能梦想,我想它的梦想会跟我们一样。
It's an honor to be with you. Thank you very much.
很荣幸能跟大家共聚一堂。非常感谢。

分享到
重点单词
  • productivityn. 生产率,生产能力
  • surrenderv. 投降,让与,屈服 n. 投降,屈服,放弃
  • achievementn. 成就,成绩,完成,达到
  • comfortn. 舒适,安逸,安慰,慰藉 vt. 安慰,使舒适
  • idealistn. 唯心主义者,理想主义者 adj. 唯心主义的,理想
  • fadingn. 褪色;衰退;凋谢 v. 使衰落(fade的ing形
  • recognizevt. 认出,认可,承认,意识到,表示感激
  • capacityn. 能力,容量,容积; 资格,职位 adj. (达到最
  • humanityn. 人类,人性,人道,慈爱,(复)人文学科
  • definitionn. 定义,阐释,清晰度