微生物扮演着不可忽视的角色
日期:2017-06-24 09:46

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

Imagine you are a part of a crew of astronauts traveling to Mars or some distant planet.
想象你是一个正在向火星或者某个遥远的星球飞行的飞船上面的一名宇航员
The travel time could take a year or even longer.
这次旅行可能会需要一年的时间或者更长
The space on board and the resources would be limited.
当你们着陆的时候 资源就变得很少了
So you and the crew would have to figure out how to produce food with minimal inputs.
所以你和你的航行团队必须找出用最少的材料生产出食物的方法
What if you could bring with you just a few packets of seeds, and grow crops in a matter of hours?
假如你能携带一小包可以在几个小时内成熟的种子
And what if those crops would then make more seeds,
如果这些谷物又结下了更多的种子
enabling you to feed the entire crew with just those few packets of seeds for the duration of the trip?

tedyj16.jpg


这样你只需这几包种子就能使整个航行人员在整个航行的过程中都有食物吃
Well, the scientists at NASA actually figured out a way to do this.
美国国家航空航天局的科学家实际上已经找到了这样的方法
What they came up with was actually quite interesting.
他们的想法非常有趣
And it involved microorganisms, which are single-celled organisms.
它涉及到一些单细胞的有机物的微生物
And they also used hydrogen from water.
而且他们还使用了从水中提炼的氢
The types of microbes that they used were called hydrogenotrophs,
他们使用的那种微生物被称为氢利用菌
and with these hydrogenotrophs, you can create a virtuous carbon cycle that would sustain life onboard a spacecraft.
利用这些氢利用菌,你可以创造出有效的碳循环 这种循环会维持飞船上的生活
Astronauts would breathe out carbon dioxide,
宇航员们会呼出二氧化碳
that carbon dioxide would then be captured by the microbes and converted into a nutritious, carbon-rich crop.
那些二氧化碳会被这些微生物捕捉到然后转化为一种有营养的 碳含量高的农作物
The astronauts would then eat that carbon-rich crop and exhale the carbon out in the form of carbon dioxide,
宇航员们就能吃掉那些含碳量高的谷物 然后将碳元素以二氧化碳的形式呼出来
which would then be captured by the microbes, to create a nutritious crop,
这些二氧化碳又能被微生物吸收 然后制造出有营养的谷物
which then would be exhaled in the form of carbon dioxide by the astronauts.
再由宇航员以二氧化碳的形式呼出
So in this way, a closed-loop carbon cycle is created.
这样一个封闭的碳循环就形成了
So why is this important?
为什么碳循环这么重要呢
We need carbon to survive as humans, and we get our carbon from food.
作为人类我们需要碳来维持生存而且 我们从食物中获取碳
On a long space journey, you simply wouldn't be able to pick up any carbon along the way,
在远途的空间旅行中你可能在沿途无法获取任何碳物质
so you'd have to figure out how to recycle it on board.
所以你就必须要找出使碳在飞船上循环的方法
This is a clever solution, right?
这是一个聪明的解决办法,不是吗
But the thing is, that research didn't really go anywhere.
但问题在于 那个研究并没有实践应用于任何地方
We haven't yet gone to Mars. We haven't yet gone to another planet.
我们还没有去火星,也没有去其他的行星
And this was actually done in the '60s and '70s.
而且这个研究实际上是在60-70年代期间完成的
So a colleague of mine, Dr. John Reed, and I, were interested, actually, in carbon recycling here on Earth.
我的一个同事约翰 里德博士和我当时对于地球上碳的重复利用非常感兴趣
We wanted to come up with technical solutions to address climate change.
我们希望可以想出科学的办法来解决气候变化问题
And we discovered this research by reading some papers published in the '60s 1967 and later articles about this work.
我们通过阅读60年代的1967年及其以后发表的与这项工作有关的文章得到了这样的研究结果
And we thought it was a really good idea.
而且我们认为那是一个非常好的想法
And so we said, well, Earth is actually like a spaceship.
于是我们提出,地球其实就像一个飞船一样
We have limited space and limited resources, and on Earth, we really do need to figure out how to recycle our carbon better.
我们拥有有限的空间和有限的资源而且在地球上 我们着实需要想清楚如何更好地循环利用碳
So we had the idea, can we take some of these NASA-type ideas and apply them to our carbon problem here on Earth?
于是我们有了一个主意我们能不能利用这些美国航空航天局的思路并把他们应用于我们地球上的碳问题
Could we cultivate these NASA-type microbes in order to make valuable products here on Earth?
我们能不能培养他们所谓的那种微生物使我们能够在地球上生产有价值的产品
And we started a company to do it.
于是我们创办了一个公司做这件事
And in that company, we discovered that these hydrogenotrophs
在那个公司里,我们发现这些氢利用菌
which I'll actually call nature's supercharged carbon recyclers
(我把它称为自然界碳资源的超级循环器)
we found that they are a powerful class of microbes
我们发现他们是一类强大的微生物
that had been largely overlooked and understudied,
这类微生物曾一直被忽视并被作为替补
and that they could make some really valuable products.
我们还发现他们可以创造一些非常有价值的产品
So we began cultivating these products, these microbes, in our lab.
于是我们开始在实验室里制造这些产品,这些微生物
We found that we can make essential amino acids from carbon dioxide using these microbes.
我们发现我们能够利用这种微生物从二氧化碳中得到基础的氨基酸
And we even made a protein-rich meal
我们甚至制造出一种富含蛋白质的粉
that has an amino acid profile similar to what you might find in some animal proteins.
这种粉有一种氨基酸的外形,就像你可能会从一些动物蛋白中看到的那样
And we began cultivating them even further, and we found that we can make oil.
我们开始更深层次的培养他们于是我们发现我们能够制造出油
Oils are used to manufacture many products.
油可以用来加工很多产品
We made an oil that was similar to a citrus oil,
我们制造了一种类似于柠檬油的油
which can be used for flavoring and for fragrances,
它可以被用来调味或用于香水中
but it also can be used as a biodegradable cleaner or even as a jet fuel.
但是它也可以被用于一种具有生物降解功能的清洁剂或者是一种喷气燃料
And we made an oil that's similar to palm oil.
而且我们还生产了一种类似于粽榈油的油
Palm oil is used to manufacture a wide range of consumer and industrial goods.
棕榈油被用于供给很大范围的生态消费者和制造一些工业商品
We began working with manufacturers to scale up this technology,
我们开始和制造商一起工作以扩大这项技术的规模
and we're currently working with them to bring some of these products to market.
而且我们现在依然和他们一起合作把一些产品推向市场
We believe this type of technology can indeed help us profitably recycle carbon dioxide into valuable products
我们相信这种科技的确可以帮到我们合理的回收二氧化碳,并用于有价值的产品
something that's beneficial for the planet but also beneficial for business.
而这些产品对地球是有益的对我们的商业也是很有益的
That's what we're doing today.
那就是我们现在正在做的事情
But tomorrow, this type of technology and using these types of microbes
但是未来,如果我们把这种技术和对这种微生物的利用
actually could help us do something even greater if we take it to the next level.
应用到下一个层次的话,这着实可以帮到我们做到更环保
We believe that this type of technology can actually help us address an issue with agriculture
我们相信这种技术其实也可以帮我们解决农业上的问题
and allow us to create a type of agriculture that's sustainable,
这种技术使我们能够创造出一种可持续的农业模式
that will allow us to scale to meet the demands of tomorrow.
那将使我们扩大规模以满足未来的需求
And why might we need a sustainable agriculture?
为什么我们需要一个可持续的农业模式呢?
Well, actually, it is estimated that the population will reach about 10 billion by 2050,
实际上,有人预测截止2050年人口数量将会达到100亿
and we're projecting that we will need to increase food production by 70 percent.
我们提出我们将需要增加70%的食品产量
In addition, we will need many more resources and raw materials to make consumer goods and industrial goods.
除此之外,我们将需要更多资源和原材料来制造消费品和工业化商品
So how will we scale to meet that demand?
那么我们应该如何扩大范围以满足这样的需求呢?
Well, modern agriculture simply cannot sustainably scale to meet that demand.
当然,仅仅靠现代农业无法实现持续化来满足那样的需求
There are a number of reasons why.
这其中有很多理由
One of them is that modern agriculture is one of the largest emitters of greenhouse gases.
其中一个原因就是现代农业是温室气体的一大发射源
In fact, it emits more greenhouse gases than our cars, our trucks, our planes and our trains combined.
事实上,由现代农业所释放的温室气体要比我们的汽车、卡车、飞机和火车加起来还要多
Another reason is that modern ag simply takes up a whole lot of land.
另一个原因是仅仅是现代农业就占据了很大的土地
We have cleared 19.4 million square miles for crops and livestock.
我们为种植业和家畜提供了1940万平方英里的土地
What does that look like?
那看起来有多大呢?
Well, that's roughly the size of South America and Africa combined.
那几乎是南美与非洲加起来那么大
Let me give you a specific example.
让我给你举一个具体的例子
In Indonesia, an amount of virgin rainforest was cleared totaling the size of approximately Ireland, between 2000 and 2012.
在印度尼西亚,大量的原始森林被清除总计有大约爱尔兰岛那么大的面积那是发生在2000到2012年之间的
Just think of all of the species, the diversity, that was removed in the process, whether plant life, insects or animal life.
想象在这个过程中,所有的物种及其多样性无论是植物,昆虫还是动物都在这个过程中被迁移
And a natural carbon sink was also removed.
于是一个天然的碳池会就被移走了
So let me make this real for you.
请让我告诉你这个事实
This clearing happened primarily to make room for palm plantations.
那被清理的土地主要被用来种植大片的棕榈树
And as I mentioned before, palm oil is used to manufacture many products.
就像我前边提过的那样, 棕榈油能够被用来制造许多产品
In fact, it is estimated that over 50 percent of consumer products are manufactured using palm oil.
事实上,估计有超过50%烦人消费产品在制造过程中使用棕榈油
And that includes things like ice cream, cookies It includes cooking oils.
那些商品包括冰淇淋,曲奇饼干 包括食用油,
It also includes detergents, lotions, soaps.
还包括洗涤液,洗衣液和肥皂
You and I both probably have numerous items in our kitchens and our bathrooms that were manufactured using palm oil.
我们可能在我们的厨房和浴室里有大量的使用棕榈油制造的产品
So you and I are direct beneficiaries of removed rainforests.
所以我们也都是雨林被移除的直接受益者
Modern ag has some problems, and we need solutions if we want to scale sustainably.
现代化农业有一些问题,如果我们想要稳定的扩张,我们需要解决方法
I believe that microbes can be a part of the answer specifically, these supercharged carbon recyclers.
我认为那种微生物可以是一种解决方案具体而言,就是那些超动力碳元素回收者
These supercharged carbon recyclers, like plants, serve as the natural recyclers in their ecosystems where they thrive.
这些超动力碳元素回收者,就像植物一样,充当着自然的反复循环器在他们所生存的生态系统中
And they thrive in exotic places on Earth, like hydrothermal vents and hot springs.
他们生活在地球上非常独特的地方就像深海热泉或是温泉里
In those ecosystems, they take carbon and recycle it into the nutrients needed for those ecosystems.
在这些生态系统中,他们吸收碳元素并回收它把碳元素转换为那个生态系统中所需要的营养物质
And they're rich in nutrients, such as oils and proteins, minerals and carbohydrates.
于是这些生态系统就富含了营养物质例如油和蛋白质,矿物质和碳水化合物
And actually, microbes are already an integral part of our everyday lives.
微生物已经成为人们日常生活中不可或缺的一部分
If you enjoy a glass of pinot noir on a Friday night,
如果你想在一个漫长劳累的一周后的周五晚上
after a long, hard work week, then you are enjoying a product of microbes.
来一杯黑比诺葡萄酒其实你就是在享受微生物的产品
If you enjoy a beer from your local microbrewery a product of microbes.
如果你在品味来自你们当地酿酒厂的啤酒它其实也是微生物的作品
Or bread, or cheese, or yogurt.
或者像面包,奶酪,酸奶
These are all products of microbes.
他们也都是微生物的产品
But the beauty and power associated with these supercharged carbon recyclers
但是这些超动力碳元素回收循环器的美和力量
lies in the fact that they can actually produce in a matter of hours versus months.
在于它们能够在几个小时内生产几个月的产量
That means we can make crops much faster than we're making them today.
那就意味着我们可以比现在更快地种植作物
They grow in the dark, so they can grow in any season and in any geography and any location.
这些微生物在黑暗中生长所以他们可以在任何一个季节在任何地形地势,任何位置生长
They can grow in containers that require minimal space.
他们还可以在极小的容器中生长
And we can get to a type of vertical agriculture.
于是我们能够得到一种立体农业
Instead of our traditional horizontal agriculture that requires so much land,
代替我们传统的需要占据很多土地的水平农业
we can scale vertically, and as a result produce much more product per area.
我们可以在垂直方向上扩张这样一来,我们在单位面积的土地上就可以产出更多的产品
If we implement this type of approach and use these carbon recyclers,
如果我们使用了这种方法并且使用这些碳元素循环器
then we wouldn't have to remove any more rainforests to make the food and the goods that we consume.
我们将不需要移除更多的雨林来制造我们消耗的食物和商品
Because, at a large scale, you can actually make 10,000 times more output per land area
因为,在大规模上,你在单位土地上实际上可以实现原来10000倍的产出
than you could -- for instance, if you used soybeans
例如,如果你种植大豆,
if you planted soybeans on that same area of land over a period of a year.
如果你在同样面积的土地在一年中种植一期大豆
Ten thousand times over a period of a year.

10000倍于一年一期的大豆产量
So this is what I mean by a new type of agriculture.
这就是我想通过一种新型农业表达的想法
And this is what I mean by developing a system that allows us to sustainably scale to meet the demands of 10 billion.
这也是我为什么说要发展一个允许我们持续扩大规模以满足未来100亿的需求
And what would be the products of this new type of agriculture?
那么这种新型农业的产品将会是什么呢
Well, we've already made a protein meal,
事实上,我们已经生产出一种蛋白质粉
so you can imagine something similar to a soybean meal, or even cornmeal, or wheat flour.
因此你可以想象出像豆粉,玉米粉或面粉之类的东西
We've already made oils, so you can imagine something similar to coconut oil or olive oil or soybean oil.
我们也已经产出了油所以你可以想象一些像椰子油,或橄榄油,豆油之类的产品
So this type of crop can actually produce the nutrients
所以这种作物可以生产营养品
that would give us pasta and bread, cakes, nutritional items of many sorts.
从而为我们提供面食和面包,蛋糕等各种各样的营养品
Furthermore, since oil is used to manufacture multiple other goods, industrial products and consumer products,
而且,由于油被用于生产制造多种产品工业产品和消耗品
you can imagine being able to make detergents, soaps, lotions, etc., using these types of crops.
你可以想象一下使用这种作物来制造洗涤剂,肥皂或洗衣液等等
Not only are we running out of space,
我们目前不仅仅在渐渐用尽我们的土地
but if we continue to operate under the status quo with modern agriculture,
而且,如果我们还要继续维持在现代农业这一现状中的话
we run the risk of robbing our progeny of a beautiful planet.
我们还将使后代失去一个漂亮的地球
But it doesn't have to be this way.
但是我们不必要这么做
We can imagine a future of abundance.
我们可以想象一个富余的未来
Let us create systems that keep planet Earth, our spaceship, not only from not crashing,
让我们创造这样的系统,使我们的地球和飞船不仅可以免受冲撞,
but let us also develop systems and ways of living that will be beneficial to the lives of ourselves
而且还让我可以研发出生存的系统和方式那将有利于我们自己的生存
and the 10 billion that will be on this planet by 2050.
和截止2050年存在的100亿人类的生存
Thank you very much.
非常感谢

分享到
重点单词
  • additionn. 增加,附加物,加法
  • recyclevt. 使再循环,再利用,再制 vi. 循环 n. 再循
  • integraladj. 构成整体所必需的,完整的 n. [数学] 积分
  • specificadj. 特殊的,明确的,具有特效的 n. 特效药,特性
  • greenhousen. 温室,暖房
  • virtuousadj. 有品德的,善良的,贞洁的
  • verticaladj. 垂直的,顶点的,纵向的 n. 垂直物,垂直的位
  • implementn. 工具,器具; 当工具的物品 vt. 实施,执行;
  • scalen. 鳞,刻度,衡量,数值范围 v. 依比例决定,攀登
  • valuableadj. 贵重的,有价值的 n. (pl.)贵重物品