网络时代数据统计变得更加重要
日期:2017-06-08 18:26

(单词翻译:单击)

 MP3点击下载

About 10 years ago, I took on the task to teach global development to Swedish undergraduate students.
大约10年前我教瑞典大学生全球化进程这门课程
That was after having spent about 20 years together with African institutions studying hunger in Africa, so I was sort of expected to know a little about the world.
那是我在非洲和非洲机构一起耗费20年 来研究饥饿问题之后的事了 所以我算是个对世界小有了解的专家
And I started in our medical university, Karolinska Institute, an undergraduate course called Global Health.
我开始在医科大学卡罗林斯卡学院 开设一门本科课程 叫全球健康
But when you get that opportunity, you get a little nervous.
但是当我得到这次机会的时候 你会有点紧张
I thought, these students coming to us actually have the highest grade you can get in Swedish college systems
我认为来上这门课程的学生实际上都是在瑞典大学能够取得最好成绩的学生
so I thought, maybe they know everything I'm going to teach them about.
所以我认为他们可能已经掌握了我所要讲授的全部内容
So I did a pre-test when they came.
所做了个课前测试
And one of the questions from which I learned a lot was this one: "Which country has the highest child mortality of these five pairs?"
我感想最多的一个问题就是这个 “以下五对当中哪个国家的儿童死亡率最高”
I put them together, so that in each pair of country, one has twice the child mortality of the other.
我把它们放在一起 这样每对国家中 一个国家的儿童死亡率是另一个的两倍
And this means that it's much bigger a difference than the uncertainty of the data.
那就意味着两者的差距远大于数据的不确定性
I won't put you at a test here, but it's Turkey, which is highest there, Poland, Russia, Pakistan and South Africa.
我不是在这里考你们 土耳其 儿童死亡率最高 随后依次是波兰 俄罗斯 巴基斯坦和南非
And these were the results of the Swedish students.
这是瑞典学生的测验结果
I did it so I got the confidence interval, which is pretty narrow, and I got happy, of course: a 1.8 right answer out of five possible.
我处理了一下就得到了一个很窄的置信区间 我挺高兴 当然 五个里只对了1.8个
That means that there was a place for a professor of international health and for my course.
那就意味着全球健康这门课程和我这个教授是有其存在的价值的
But one late night, when I was compiling the report, I really realized my discovery.
但之后的一天晚上 当我整理成绩单的时候 我真正意识到我的发现
I have been shown that Swedish top students know statistically significantly less about the world than the chimpanzees.
这个发现告诉我 统计意义上来说瑞典顶尖的学生 对世界的了解远低于黑猩猩
Because the chimpanzee would score half right if I gave them two bananas with Sri Lanka and Turkey.
因为黑猩猩能得一半的分数 如果我给它们两个分别标着斯里兰卡和土耳其的香蕉
They would be right half of the cases. But the students are not there.
它们会选对一半 但那些学生却不行
The problem for me was not ignorance; it was preconceived ideas.
这个问题是我无法忽视 却可以预见的
I did also an unethical study of the professors of the Karolinska Institute, that hands out the Nobel Prize in Medicine,and they are on par with the chimpanzee there.
我还做了个不大道德的研究 对卡罗林斯卡学院的教授做了研究 而他们还颁发诺贝尔医学奖 他们的水平和黑猩猩不分上下
This is where I realized that there was really a need to communicate, because the data of what's happening in the world and the child health of every country is very well aware.
这就是我认为有必要交流的地方 这些全球性事件 和各国儿童健康情况的数据十分明确
We did this software which displays it like this: every bubble here is a country.
我们制作这个软件 像这样 这里的每个球表示一个国家
This country over here is China. This is India.
这里的这个国家是中国 这是印度
The size of the bubble is the population, and on this axis here, I put fertility rate.
球的大小表示该国家人口的数量 我把生育率放在这个轴上
Because my students, what they said when they looked upon the world, and I asked them, "What do you really think about the world?"
这里是我的学生的一些说法 当他们看这个世界时 我问他们 你们认为这个世界是什么样子的
Well, I first discovered that the textbook was Tintin, mainly.
第一本带我认识世界的教科书大概就是《丁丁历险记》了
And they said, "The world is still 'we' and 'them.'
他们说 世界就是“我们”和“他们”
And 'we' is Western world and 'them' is Third World."
“我们”是西方世界 “他们”是第三世界
"And what do you mean with Western world?" I said.
我问 你说的西方世界是什么
"Well, that's long life and small family, and Third World is short life and large family."
嗯 就是人的寿命长 家庭小 第三世界就是人的寿命短 家庭大
So this is what I could display here.
这就是我要展示的
I put fertility rate here: number of children per woman: one, two, three, four, up to about eight children per woman.
我把生育率放在这儿 每个母亲孩子的个数 一个 两个 三个 四个 到每个母亲八个孩子
We have very good data since 1962 -- 1960 about on the size of families in all countries.
我们有从1962年或1960年前后开始 所有国家中家庭规模的数据
The error margin is narrow.
误差很小
Here, I put life expectancy at birth, from 30 years in some countries up to about 70 years.
我把出生时预期寿命在这里 从一些国家的30岁 到70岁
And 1962, there was really a group of countries here that was industrialized countries, and they had small families and long lives.
在1962年 这里的确有一些国家 那是工业化国家 他们的家庭小 人的寿命长
And these were the developing countries: they had large families and they had relatively short lives.
这些是发展中国家 他们家庭成员多 寿命相对较短
Now, what has happened since 1962? We want to see the change.

1962年后发生了什么? 我们想看看这些变化
Are the students right? Is it still two types of countries?
这些学生对吗? 还是只有两类国家?
Or have these developing countries got smaller families and they live here?
或者这些发展中国家家庭变小 移到这里
Or have they got longer lives and live up there?
又或者他们寿命变长 上移到这里?
Let's see. We stopped the world then.
来看看 我们先让世界停止
This is all U.N. statistics that have been available.
这是从联合国得到的统计资料
Here we go. Can you see there?
我们开始 看到了吗?
It's China there, moving against better health there, improving there.
这是中国 移动反映了健康情况在变好 (最后)上移到那里
All the green Latin American countries are moving towards smaller families.
所有绿色的拉美国家向家庭变小的方向移动
Your yellow ones here are the Arabic countries, and they get longer life, but not larger families.
这些以黄色的球代表的阿拉伯国家 他们的寿命在变长 但家庭并没有变大
The Africans are the green here. They still remain here.
这些绿色的球是非洲人 他们还待在这里
This is India; Indonesia is moving on pretty fast.
这是印度 印度尼西亚移动得非常快
In the '80s here, you have Bangladesh still among the African countries.

80年代的时候 孟加拉国仍然和非洲国家在一起
But now, Bangladesh -- it's a miracle that happens in the '80s: the imams start to promote family planning.
但现在 在80年代时孟加拉国发生天翻地覆的变化 阿訇们开始推行计划生育
They move up into that corner.
他们移到了角落里
And in the '90s, we have the terrible HIV epidemic that takes down the life expectancy of the African countries
在90年代 严重的HIV流行病爆发 降低了非洲国家的预期寿命
and all the rest of them move up into the corner,
幸存者上移到了角落里
where we have long lives and small family, and we have a completely new world.
在这里寿命长而家庭小 我们来到一个新的世界
Let me make a comparison directly between the United States of America and Vietnam. 1964.
我来对1964年的美国和越南做一个直接的比较
America had small families and long life; Vietnam had large families and short lives.
美国的家庭小而人的寿命长 越南的家庭大而人的寿命短
And this is what happens: the data during the war indicate that even with all the death, there was an improvement of life expectancy.
但发生下面的变化 战争期间的数据表明即使考虑死亡 预期寿命仍在增长
By the end of the year, the family planning started in Vietnam; they went for smaller families.
到年底的时候 越南开始施行计划生育 他们的家庭在变小
And the United States up there is getting for longer life, keeping family size.
而在上方的美国 其人均寿命变长 而家庭大小不变
And in the '80s now, they give up Communist planning and they go for market economy, and it moves faster even than social life.
在80年代 他们放弃了计划经济 转而施行市场经济 它移动得比社会发展还要快
And today, we have in Vietnam the same life expectancy and the same family size here in Vietnam, 2003,as in United States, 1974, by the end of the war.
今天 我们可以看到 越南的预期寿命和家庭规模 这里是2003年的越南 和1974年战后的美国一样
I think we all if we don't look in the data, we all underestimate the tremendous change in Asia,which was in social change before we saw the economical change.
我觉得如果我们没有看到这些数据 我们都会低估亚洲发生的巨大变化 在我们看到经济领域的变化之前 这些变化已经在社会领域发生了
Let's move over to another way here in which we could display the distribution in the world of the income.
我们来换一种方式 我们将展示 世界范围内的收入分布情况
This is the world distribution of income of people. One dollar, 10 dollars or 100 dollars per day.
这是世界人口收入分布 每天一美元 10美元或100美元
There's no gap between rich and poor any longer. This is a myth.
富裕和贫穷之间没有间隔 这是个神话
There's a little hump here. But there are people all the way.
这里有一个小峰 但一直是这些人
And if we look where the income ends up, this is 100 percent the world's annual income.
我们看看收入的结果 这是100%的世界年收入
And the richest 20 percent, they take out of that about 74 percent.
最富裕的20%的人 他们占了大约74%
And the poorest 20 percent, they take about two percent.
最贫穷的20%的人只占了2%
And this shows that the concept of developing countries is extremely doubtful.
这表明发展中国家这个概念 极其值得怀疑
We think about aid, like these people here giving aid to these people here.
我们可以考虑一下援助比如这些人给这些人援助
But in the middle, we have most of the world population, and they have now 24 percent of the income.
但大部分的世界人口处在中间 他们现在只占有24%的收入
We heard it in other forms. And who are these?
换种说法 这些是什么国家
Where are the different countries? I can show you Africa. This is Africa.
不同的国家在什么地方 我来展示一下非洲 这是非洲

10% the world population, most in poverty. This is OECD.
占世界10%的人口 大多数人处于贫困 这是OECD
The rich country. The country club of the U.N.
富裕国家 联合国的国家俱乐部
And they are over here on this side. Quite an overlap between Africa and OECD. And this is Latin America.
他们都在这边 非洲和OECD有相当一部分重叠在一起 这是拉美
It has everything on this Earth, from the poorest to the richest in Latin America.
在拉美 从最贫穷的到最富裕的都有
And on top of that, we can put East Europe, we can put East Asia, and we put South Asia.
在上面 可以放上东欧 放上东亚 和南亚
And how did it look like if we go back in time, to about 1970? Then there was more of a hump.
如果时间倒流 它会是什么样子 比如1970年 多了一个峰
And we have most who lived in absolute poverty were Asians.
大多数生活绝对贫困的是亚洲人
The problem in the world was the poverty in Asia.
亚洲的贫困问题是个世界性问题
And if I now let the world move forward, you will see that while population increases, there are hundreds of millions in Asia getting out of poverty
现在如果我把时间向前推进 可以看到 随着人口的增长 上亿亚洲人脱离贫困
and some others getting into poverty, and this is the pattern we have today.
而一些其他地区陷入贫困 这是今天的样子
And the best projection from the World Bank is that this will happen, and we will not have a divided world.
世界银行的最新预测 表明这会发生 我们将不再有一个分化的世界
We'll have most people in the middle.
绝大部分的人会在中间
Of course it's a logarithmic scale here, but our concept of economy is growth with percent.
当然这是个对数坐标轴 但我们的经济指标按百分比增长
We look upon it as a possibility of percentile increase.
可以看作按百分比增长
If I change this, and take GDP per capita instead of family income, and I turn these individual data into regional data of gross domestic product,
如果我改一下这里 用人均GDP代替家庭收入 我把这些数据 与各地区的GDP关联起来
and I take the regions down here, the size of the bubble is still the population.
把地区放在下面 球的大小还是人口规模
And you have the OECD there, and you have sub-Saharan Africa there, and we take off the Arab states there, coming both from Africa and from Asia, and we put them separately,
可以看到OECD在那里 撒哈拉以南非洲在那里 我把阿拉伯地区放在这里 从非洲和亚洲单独分出来
and we can expand this axis, and I can give it a new dimension here, by adding the social values there, child survival.
然后我们把X轴延伸一下 再加上一个新的坐标轴 加上社会价值参数 儿童生存率
Now I have money on that axis, and I have the possibility of children to survive there.
把财富放在那个轴上 把儿童存活率的估值在这里
In some countries, 99.7% of children survive to five years of age; others, only 70.
在一些国家 活到五岁的儿童是99.7% 另一些只有70%
And here, it seems, there is a gap between OECD, Latin America, East Europe, East Asia, Arab states, South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa.
在这里 似乎在OECD和拉美 东欧 东亚 阿拉伯地区 南亚和撒哈拉以南非洲之处存在分化
The linearity is very strong between child survival and money.
儿童成活率和经济之间线性关系极强
But let me split sub-Saharan Africa. Health is there and better health is up there.
我把撒哈拉以南非洲打散 那是健康 越往上越健康
I can go here and I can split sub-Saharan Africa into its countries.
在这里我把撒哈拉以南非洲按国家分开
And when it burst, the size of its country bubble is the size of the population.
它爆开 各个国家球的大小是人口的规模
Sierra Leone down there. Mauritius is up there.
塞拉利昂在这下面 毛里求斯在这上面
Mauritius was the first country to get away with trade barriers, and they could sell their sugar they could sell their textiles on equal terms as the people in Europe and North America.
毛里求斯是第一个 摆脱贸易壁垒的国家 他们可以出售他们的糖 他们可以和欧洲与北美的人享受同样的待遇出售他们的纺织品
There's a huge difference between Africa. And Ghana is here in the middle.
非洲却是另外一种情形 加纳处在中间的位置
In Sierra Leone, humanitarian aid. Here in Uganda, development aid. Here, time to invest; there, you can go for a holiday.
在塞拉利昂 需要人道主义援助 在乌干达 需要发展援助 这儿需要投资 在那儿却可以度假
It's a tremendous variation within Africa which we rarely often make -- that it's equal everything.
非洲内部存在巨大的差异 我们几乎不讲平均主义
I can split South Asia here. India's the big bubble in the middle.
下面分解南亚各国 中间的蓝色大球代表印度
But a huge difference between Afghanistan and Sri Lanka. I can split Arab states. How are they?
而斯里兰卡和阿富汗有着巨大差异 我来分解阿拉伯地区 会怎么样
Same climate, same culture, same religion -- huge difference. Even between neighbors. Yemen, civil war.
阿拉伯地区各国具有相同的气候 文化和宗教 但是它们之间却存在很大的差异 即使是邻国的差异也很大 也门经常内战
United Arab Emirates, money, which was quite equally and well used. Not as the myth is.
阿联酋能够很好地运用财富 与传说的完全不同
And that includes all the children of the foreign workers who are in the country.
这些包括了所有国内外籍劳工的子女
Data is often better than you think. Many people say data is bad.
数据比我们想象的要好的多 很多人都说数据是一种很糟糕的方式
There is an uncertainty margin, but we can see the difference here: Cambodia, Singapore.
数据往往有一个不确定的范围 但是我们能看到这里的误差,即柬埔寨和新加坡之间的误差
The differences are much bigger than the weakness of the data.
差距远大于数据的误差
East Europe: Soviet economy for a long time, but they come out after 10 years very, very differently.
东欧 苏联经济持续了相当长的时间 但它们离开10年后 一切都完全不同了
And there is Latin America.
在拉美
Today, we don't have to go to Cuba to find a healthy country in Latin America.
今天 我们不用到古巴去找拉美的健康国家
Chile will have a lower child mortality than Cuba within some few years from now.
几年前开始 智利的儿童死亡率就低于古巴
Here, we have high-income countries in the OECD.
这里 有OECD的高收入国家
And we get the whole pattern here of the world, which is more or less like this.
我们得到了世界的所有模式或多或少与这个相似
And if we look at it, how the world looks, in 1960, it starts to move.
看着它 世界会怎么样 在1960年 开始变化
This is Mao Tse-tung. He brought health to China. And then he died.

1960年(中国有)毛泽东 他给中国带来了健康 之后他去世了
And then Deng Xiaoping came and brought money to China, and brought them into the mainstream again.
然后邓小平给中国带来了财富把中国再次带入主流
And we have seen how countries move in different directions like this, so it's sort of difficult to get an example country which shows the pattern of the world.
我们可以看到这些国家在不同方向上如何移动 像这样 举出一个具体国家有些困难 但可以显示世界的总体趋势
But I would like to bring you back to about here, at 1960.
但我想把你们带到这里 在1960年
I would like to compare South Korea, which is this one, with Brazil, which is this one.
我想比较一下 韩国 就是这个 和巴西 就是这个
The label went away for me here. And I would like to compare Uganda, which is there. And I can run it forward, like this.
那个标签找不着了 我还想比较一下乌干达 在这里 我让它向前运行 像这样
And you can see how South Korea is making a very, very fast advancement, whereas Brazil is much slower.
我们能够看到韩国以一种飞快的速度发展 然而巴西却发展的比较慢
And if we move back again, here, and we put on trails on them, like this, you can see again that the speed of development is very, very different,
我们再回到过去 就到这儿 然后像这样勾勒出每个球的运动轨迹 你就能再次看到他们的发展速度之间有很大的不同
and the countries are moving more or less in the same rate as money and health,
这些国家的财富和健康的移动速度几乎在同步移动
but it seems you can move much faster if you are healthy first than if you are wealthy first.
但似乎可以感觉到健康程度高的国家比财富多的国家移动更快
And to show that, you can put on the way of United Arab Emirates.
为了说明这一点 可以看看阿联酋
They came from here, a mineral country.
他们从这里出发 一个资源型国家
They cached all the oil; they got all the money; but health cannot be bought at the supermarket.
他们把石油都储存起来然后赚了一大笔钱 但并没有换来健康
You have to invest in health. You have to get kids into schooling.
你必须给健康投资 你必须把孩子送去上学接受教育
You have to train health staff. You have to educate the population.
你必须培养医疗人员 你必须让人们接受教育
And Sheikh Zayed did that in a fairly good way.
阿联酋在这方面做的很好
In spite of falling oil prices, he brought this country up here.
虽然油价下跌 他却能让国家上升到这里
So we've got a much more mainstream appearance of the world, where all countries tend to use their money better than they used in the past.
这里我们可以看到 世界发展的主流 在这个区域 相对于过去所有这些国家都能够更好地把金钱利用起来
Now, this is, more or less, if you look at the average data of the countries they are like this.
现在 如果你想看这些国家的平均值 大概是这样
Now that's dangerous, to use average data, because there is such a lot of difference within countries.
使用平均值是有风险的 因为这些国家之间存在很大的差异
So if I go and look here, we can see that Uganda today is where South Korea was in 1960.
所以我看这里 可以看到现在的乌干达还处在1960年的韩国所在的位置
If I split Uganda, there's quite a difference within Uganda.
如果我来分析乌干达国内 其内部各区域之间也有很多不同
These are the quintiles of Uganda.
我把它五等分
The richest 20 percent of Ugandans are there.
这百分之二十是乌干达最富有的地方
The poorest are down there.
最贫困的人在下面
If I split South Africa, it's like this.
如果我分解南非 像这样
And if I go down and look at Niger, where there was such a terrible famine, lastly, it's like this.
接下来看尼日尔 这里有十分严重的饥荒 最终 就像这样
The 20 percent poorest of Niger is out here, and the 20 percent richest of South Africa is there,
尼日尔最贫穷的20%在外面 这是南非最富有的20%
and yet we tend to discuss on what solutions there should be in Africa.
但我们想去讨论 我们应该把什么方法用到非洲
Everything in this world exists in Africa.
世界上所有的问题非洲都有

tedyj02.jpg


And you can't discuss universal access to HIV for that quintile up here with the same strategy as down here.
你很难用像治疗HIV药物一样 用普遍方法进行讨论对这五分之一的人和这五分之一的人用同样的措施
The improvement of the world must be highly contextualized,
世界的发展必须全局考虑
and it's not relevant to have it on regional level.
而不是只关系到一个区域
We must be much more detailed.
我们必须更加仔细
We find that students get very excited when they can use this.
我们发现学生用这个的时候会很兴奋
And even more, policy makers and the corporate sectors
甚至 决策者和企业部门
would like to see how the world is changing.
更想要知道世界如何变化
Now, why doesn't this take place?
现在 为什么不去实现它呢?
Why are we not using the data we have?
我们为什么不去使用手中已有的数据呢?
We have data in the United Nations, in the national statistical agencies
我们从联合国国家统计办公室得到了这些数据
and in universities and other non-governmental organizations.
还有大学和其它非营利组织那里
Because the data is hidden down in the databases.
但数据被隐藏在底层的数据库下面
And the public is there, and the Internet is there, but we have still not used it effectively.
公众在这儿 网络在这儿 但我们还不能有效利用它
All that information we saw changing in the world does not include publicly-funded statistics.
我们所能得到的这些关于世界变化的信息 都不包括有公共资金投入的统计内容
There are some web pages like this, you know, but they take some nourishment down from the databases,
有一些这样的网页他们从数据库中得到一些有营养的数据
but people put prices on them, stupid passwords and boring statistics.
但这是要收费的 还有愚蠢的密码和讨厌的统计表格
And this won't work. So what is needed? We have the databases. It's not the new database you need.
并且一点用都没有 所以需要什么呢? 我们有数据库 你需要的不是新的数据库
We have wonderful design tools, and more and more are added up here.
我们有完美的设计工具 更多的列在了这里
So we started a nonprofit venture which, linking data to design, we called Gapminder, from the London Underground, where they warn you, "mind the gap."
我们成立了一家非盈利企业 用来对数据进行设计 我们称之为Gapminder 取自伦敦地铁的警告语 “小心台阶间跨度”
So we thought Gapminder was appropriate.
我们觉得Gapminder是合适的
And we started to write software which could link the data like this. And it wasn't that difficult.
我们开始编写连接数据的软件 像这个 这不太困难
It took some person years, and we have produced animations.
花了几年的时间 我们制作了一些动画(来演示)
You can take a data set and put it there.
你可以拿一套数据放在这里
We are liberating U.N. data, some few U.N. organization.
我们在开放联合国的数据 少数联合国机构和
Some countries accept that their databases can go out on the world, but what we really need is, of course, a search function.
几个国家已经开放了数据库 但我们真正需要的是检索功能
A search function where we can copy the data up to a searchable format and get it out in the world.
利用检索功能 你可以把数据复制成可检索的格式 并从中得到这些数据
And what do we hear when we go around?
当我们推广的时候听到了什么呢?
I've done anthropology on the main statistical units.
我利用统计模块研究人类学
Everyone says, "It's impossible. This can't be done.
每个人都说 “那不可能 不能这么做
Our information is so peculiar in detail, so that cannot be searched as others can be searched.
我们的详细资料太过特殊 不能和其它的东西一样进行检索
We cannot give the data free to the students, free to the entrepreneurs of the world."
我们不能把数据免费提供给学生 免费提供给世界各地的企业家”
But this is what we would like to see, isn't it? The publicly-funded data is down here.
但这是我们乐意见到的吗 有公共资金投入的数据就在下面
And we would like flowers to grow out on the Net.
我们希望它们像花朵一样在网络上生长
And one of the crucial points is to make them searchable, and then people can use the different design tool to animate it there.
其中重要的一点就是使它可检索 之后人们就可以使用不同的设计工具使它充满活力
And I have pretty good news for you.
我有个好消息要告诉你们
I have good news that the present, new Head of U.N. Statistics, he doesn't say it's impossible.
好消息是现在 新任联合国统计局局长没有说那是不可能的
He only says, "We can't do it." And that's a quite clever guy, huh?
他只说“我们不能这么做” 他很聪明吧
So we can see a lot happening in data in the coming years.
未来几年中 我们将会看到数据的巨大变化
We will be able to look at income distributions in completely new ways.
我们会看到收入以全新的方式分布
This is the income distribution of China, 1970. This is the income distribution of the United States, 1970.
这是1970年中国的收入分布 这是1970年美国的收入分布
Almost no overlap. And what has happened?
几乎没有重叠 之后发生了什么呢?
What has happened is this: that China is growing, it's not so equal any longer, and it's appearing here, overlooking the United States.
发生了这个 中国不断发展 变得不再匹配 它出现在这里 俯视美国
Almost like a ghost, isn't it? It's pretty scary.
就像个幽灵 是吧? 好可怕
But I think it's very important to have all this information.
但是我认为具备这些信息是相当重要的
We need really to see it.
我们非常有必要看看它
And instead of looking at this, I would like to end up by showing the Internet users per 1,000.
除了看着 在最后 我想展示一下千人次计的网络用户
In this software, we access about 500 variables from all the countries quite easily.
在这个软件里 我们可以轻易得到 来自所有国家的大约500个变量
It takes some time to change for this, but on the axises, you can quite easily get any variable you would like to have.
只需花一点时间就可以改过来 在x轴上 你可以轻易地放上任何你想要的变量
And the thing would be to get up the databases free, to get them searchable, and with a second click,
之后(软件)会连接免费数据库 使它们可检索 只需点几下
to get them into the graphic formats, where you can instantly understand them.
就可以让它们变得直观 使大家立刻明白这些数据
Now, statisticians don't like it, because they say that this will not show the reality; we have to have statistical analytical methods.
但统计学家不喜欢它 他们说这样不能反映事实 我们需要统计分析方法
But this is hypothesis-generating. I end now with the world. There, the Internet is coming.
但这只是假设生成 我用下面这张世界(数据表)作结束 网络时代到来了
The number of Internet users are going up like this. This is the GDP per capita.
网络用户的数量持续增长 像这样 这是人均GDP
And it's a new technology coming in, but then amazingly, how well it fits to the economy of the countries.
新技术出现 但令人惊讶的是 它对国家经济的影响如此之大
That's why the $100 computer will be so important. But it's a nice tendency.
这就是为什么100美元的电脑会如此重要 但这是个好的趋势
It's as if the world is flattening off, isn't it?
就好像世界在扁平化 不是吗?
These countries are lifting more than the economy and will be very interesting to follow this over the year,
这些国家肩负起了重任 而不仅仅在经济方面 沿着这个趋势 接下来的一年会十分有趣
as I would like you to be able to do with all the publicly funded data. Thank you very much.
因为我会让你们能够得到所有有公共资金投入的数据 非常感谢

分享到
重点单词
  • ignorancen. 无知
  • fertilityn. 肥沃,丰饶,生产力
  • animatev. 使 ... 有生气,赋予生命,促使 adj. 有生
  • instituten. 学会,学院,协会 vt. 创立,开始,制定
  • venturen. 冒险,风险,投机 v. 尝试,谨慎地做,冒险一试
  • mineraladj. 矿物的 n. 矿物,矿石
  • miraclen. 奇迹
  • mortalityn. 必死的命运,死亡数目,死亡率
  • statisticaladj. 统计的,统计学的
  • impossibleadj. 不可能的,做不到的 adj. 无法忍受的