TED十佳演讲之说什么 重新定义字典(6)
日期:2017-04-14 13:59

(单词翻译:单击)

演讲文本

Lexicography is really more about material science.
字典编纂学是研究物质的科学。
We are studying the tolerances of the materials that you use to build the structure of your expression: your speeches and your writing.
我们在研究不同物料的偏差,当你去架构你的表达的时候:你的演说和写作。
And then, often people say to me, "Well, OK, how do I know that this word is real?"
于是人们常常对我说,“那好,我怎么知道这词是真实存在的?”
They think, "OK, if we think words are the tools that we use to build the expressions of our thoughts,
他们认为,“好,如果词语是我们用于表达思想的工具,
how can you say that screwdrivers are better than hammers?
那你怎么可以说起子比锤子要好?
How can you say that a sledgehammer is better than a ball-peen hammer?"
你怎么可以说这种锤子比那种锤子好?”
They're just the right tools for the job.
它们只是合适的工具而已。

重新定义字典

And so people say to me, "How do I know if a word is real?"
由此,人们对我说,“我怎么知道一个词是真正的词?”
You know, anybody who's read a children's book knows that love makes things real.
任何读过儿童读物的人都知道,爱让事物变真实。
If you love a word, use it. That makes it real.
如果你爱一个词,用它。这样子,它就成真了。
Being in the dictionary is an artificial distinction.
词放在字典里只是人工的区分,
It doesn't make a word any more real than any other way.
这并没有让一个词变得比其它词更真实。
If you love a word, it becomes real. So if we're not worrying about directing traffic,
如果你爱一个词,它才会变真实。如果我们不需要花心思在指挥交通上,
if we've transcended paper, if we are worrying less about control and more about description,
如果我们超越了纸张,如果我们少担心控制而更关注表述,
then we can think of the English language as being this beautiful mobile.
那英语就成为一个美丽的活物了。
And any time one of those little parts of the mobile changes, is touched, any time you touch a word,
当其中的一个小组件变化了,被触动了--任何时候你接触到一个单词,
you use it in a new context, you give it a new connotation, you verb it, you make the mobile move.
你把它用到新的内容中,你赋予它新的涵义,你就让它活起来了--让它移动了。

视频及简介

演讲简介

备受爱戴的纸质字典是不是注定要绝迹了?在这个充满感染力和活力的演讲里,首席字典编纂家爱琳·麦奇,从多方面看印刷字典的转型。


分享到