经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第187期
日期:2017-03-28 13:32

(单词翻译:单击)

"Well now, while the ladies are in their rooms, I will venture down and get you something to eat."
"好吧,趁女士们都呆在房间里的时候,我冒个险,下去给你弄点吃的来。"
And issuing from my asylum with precaution, I sought a back-stairs which conducted directly to the kitchen.
我小心翼翼地从自己的避难所出来,拣了一条直通厨房的后楼梯下去。
All in that region was fire and commotion.
那里火光熊熊,一片混乱。
The soup and fish were in the last stage of projection,
汤和鱼都已到了最后制作阶段,
and the cook hung over her crucibles in a frame of mind and body threatening spontaneous combustion.
厨子弯腰曲背对着锅炉,仿佛全身心都要自动燃烧起来。
In the servants' hall two coachmen and three gentlemen's gentlemen stood or sat round the fire.
在佣人屋里,两个马车夫和三个绅士的仆从或站或坐,围着火炉。
The abigails, I suppose, were upstairs with their mistresses.
女仆们想必在楼上同小姐们在一起。
The new servants, that had been hired from Millcote, were bustling about everywhere.
从米尔科特新雇来的佣人东奔西跑,非常忙碌。

经典文学《简·爱》

Threading this chaos, I at last reached the larder.
我穿过一片混乱,好不容易到了食品室。
There I took possession of a cold chicken, a roll of bread, some tarts, a plate or two and a knife and fork.
拿了一份冷鸡,一卷面包,一些馅饼,一两个盘子和一副刀叉。
With this booty I made a hasty retreat.
我带了这份战利品急忙撤退。
I had regained the gallery, and was just shutting the back-door behind me,
重新登上走廊,正要随手关上后门时,
when an accelerated hum warned me that the ladies were about to issue from their chambers.
一阵越来越响的嗡嗡声提醒我,女士们要从房间里走出来了。
I could not proceed to the schoolroom without passing some of their doors,
要上读书室我非得经过几间房门口不可,
and running the risk of being surprised with my cargo of victualage.
非得要冒端着一大堆食品被她们撞见的危险。
So I stood still at this end, which, being windowless, was dark.
于是我一动不动地站在这一头。这里没有窗子,光线很暗。
Quite dark now, for the sun was set and twilight gathering.
此刻天色已黑,因为太阳已经下山,暮色越来越浓了。
Presently the chambers gave up their fair tenants one after another.
一会儿工夫,房间里的女房客们一个接一个出来了。
Each came out gaily and airily, with dress that gleamed lustrous through the dusk.
个个心情欢快,步履轻盈,身上的衣装在昏黄的暮色中闪闪发光。
For a moment they stood grouped together at the other extremity of the gallery, conversing in a key of sweet subdued vivacity.
她们聚集在走廊的另一头,站了片刻,用压低了的轻快动听的语调交谈着。

分享到
重点单词
  • bustlingadj. 忙乱的;熙熙攘攘的
  • threateningadj. 威胁(性)的,凶兆的 动词threaten的现
  • kitchenn. 厨房,(全套)炊具,灶间
  • possessionn. 财产,所有,拥有
  • spontaneousadj. 自发的,自然产生的
  • framen. 框,结构,骨架 v. 构成,把 ... 框起来,陷
  • chaosn. 混乱,无秩序,混沌
  • commotionn. 骚动,暴乱,喧闹
  • humn. 嗡嗡声,哼声,杂声 vi. 发低哼声,哼(曲子),
  • lustrousadj. 有光泽的,光辉的