经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第164期
日期:2017-01-11 13:16

(单词翻译:单击)

Chapter 16
第十六章

I both wished and feared to see Mr. Rochester on the day which followed this sleepless night.
那个不眠之夜后的第二天,我既希望见到罗切斯特先生,而又害怕见到他。
I wanted to hear his voice again, yet feared to meet his eye.
我很想再次倾听他的声音,而又害怕与他的目光相遇。
During the early part of the morning, I momentarily expected his coming.
上午的前半晌,我时刻盼他来。
He was not in the frequent habit of entering the schoolroom,
他不常进读书室,但有时却进来呆几分钟。
but he did step in for a few minutes sometimes, and I had the impression that he was sure to visit it that day.
我有这样的预感,那天他一定会来。
But the morning passed just as usual. Nothing happened to interrupt the quiet course of Adèle's studies.
但是,早上像往常那么过去了。没有发生什么影响阿黛勒宁静学习课程的事情。
Only soon after breakfast, I heard some bustle in the neighbourhood of Mr. Rochester's chamber, Mrs. Fairfax's voice,
只是早饭后不久,我听到罗切斯特先生卧室附近一阵喧闹,有费尔法克斯太太的嗓音,
and Leah's, and the cook's— that is, John's wife — and even John's own gruff tones.
还有莉娅的和厨师的 — 也就是约翰妻子的嗓音,甚至还有约翰本人粗哑的调门,
There were exclamations of “What a mercy master was not burnt in his bed!”
有人大惊小怪地叫着:“真幸运呀,老爷没有给烧死在床上!”

经典文学《简·爱》

It is always dangerous to keep a candle lit at night.
点蜡烛过夜总归是危险的。
How providential that he had presence of mind to think of the water-jug!
真是上帝保佑,他还能那么清醒,想起了水罐!
I wonder he waked nobody!
真奇怪,他谁都没有吵醒!
It is to be hoped he will not take cold with sleeping on the library sofa, etc.
但愿他睡在图书室沙发上不会着凉!
To much confabulation succeeded a sound of scrubbing and setting to rights.
这一番闲聊之后,响起了擦擦洗洗,收拾整理的声音。
And when I passed the room, in going downstairs to dinner,
我下楼吃饭经过这间房子,从开着的门后进去,
I saw through the open door that all was again restored to complete order.
只见一切都又恢复得井井有条。
Only the bed was stripped of its hangings.
只有床上的帐幔都已拆除。
Leah stood up in the window-seat, rubbing the panes of glass dimmed with smoke.
莉娅站在窗台上,擦着被烟薰黑的玻璃。
I was about to address her, for I wished to know what account had been given of the affair.
我希望知道这件事是怎么解释的,正要同她讲话。
But, on advancing, I saw a second person in the chamber
但往前一看,只见房里还有第二个人 — 一个女人,
a woman sitting on a chair by the bedside, and sewing rings to new curtains.
坐在床边的椅子上,缝着新窗帘的挂环。
That woman was no other than Grace Poole.
那女人正是格雷斯·普尔。

分享到
重点单词
  • impressionn. 印象,效果
  • settingn. 安装,放置,周围,环境,(为诗等谱写的)乐曲 动词
  • minutesn. 会议记录,(复数)分钟
  • frequentadj. 经常的,频繁的 vt. 常到,常去
  • candlen. 蜡烛
  • restoredadj. 精力充沛的;精力恢复的 v. 修复(resto
  • interruptv. 打断,打扰,中止,中断 n. [计算机]中断
  • gracen. 优美,优雅,恩惠 vt. 使荣耀,使优美
  • presencen. 出席,到场,存在 n. 仪态,风度
  • strippedadj. 剥去的 v. 剥夺(strip的过去分词形式)