创业成功人士访谈录(MP3+中英字幕) 第106期:我们不需要花哨的外观(2)
日期:2016-10-14 15:15

(单词翻译:单击)

Later on in 1995, I remembered that I was a programmer

1995年后期,我想起我是个程序员,

and that I could turn code into HTML, so i would be able to do instant publishing.

可以写超文字标记语言,我可以将这些列表即时发表,

It suddenly occurred to me that I could write code and that I could make Craigslist into a Web site

忽然间我觉得我可以编写一些代码,可以把Craigslist做成一个网站,

where the code would do most of the work for me.

在网站上代码可以替我做大多数工作。

Was making the move from the listserve to a Web site a big transition for you?

从列表服务到网站是一个大转变吗?

Not much at first.

一开始不是。

People started using the site, but the mailing list was still the big deal then for users.

人们开始使用这个网站,但那个时候,大量的人们在使用邮件列表,

In a sense, back then it was not much different than it is now.

从某种意义上讲,在那个时候,二者之间的差别不像现在那么大。

At that point, the mailing list was still more popular than the Web site, but I have no idea when the crossover occurred.

那时邮件列表仍然要比网站流行,我也不知道真正的转换是从什么时候开始的,

I’m guessing in the early 2000s.

我猜想大约是2000年初。

You began this on a whim.

你心血来潮做这个,

Was leaving your job at Schwab a risky thing or are you a person who doesn’t have such fears?

那么离开嘉信理财是一次冒险吗?或者你是不是一个对此并不畏惧的人?

The first three years of Craigslist I ran this by myself and it somehow built critical mass.

头三年我自己做,那时是最关键的时刻,

At the end of 1997, there were three milestones hit:

1997年底,遇到三个里程碑,

hitting a million page views a month; then the folks from Microsoft Sidewalk wanted to run banner ads on the site.

第一,月浏览量超过100万;第二,微软想在Craigslist 上放条幅广告,

And at market rates, that would be all the money I needed to live.

从市场的角度,那些钱正好可以帮助我发展下去,

So I figured, hey I’m an overpaid programmer, I don’t need the money,

但转念一想,我写程序赚得已经不少了,我自己并不缺钱,

and many banner ads are pretty dumb, so I decided not to run them.

而且那时的条幅广告都是无声的,于是我决定不放广告;

And the third milestone, [occurred when] a few people approached me about running Craigslist on a volunteer basis.

第三个里程碑是,几个人找到我,要义务加入到Craigslist的运营中,

I tried that in 1998,where we would all work together on a volunteer basis.

我1998年尝试那样做,那时我们都是义务去做,

We tried it,but it failed.Things just didn’t get done.

我们努力了,但失败了,那样行不通。

It just started slowly dying.

Craigslist开始露出衰亡的迹象。

分享到
重点单词
  • whimn. 一时的兴致,突然的念头;奇想,幻想
  • milestonen. 里程碑
  • coden. 码,密码,法规,准则 vt. 把 ... 编码,制
  • massn. 块,大量,众多 adj. 群众的,大规模的 v.
  • transitionn. 过渡,转变
  • popularadj. 流行的,大众的,通俗的,受欢迎的
  • bannern. 旗帜,横幅,大标题 adj. 特别好的,杰出的 v
  • criticaladj. 批评的,决定性的,危险的,挑剔的 adj. 临
  • sidewalkn. 人行道 =pavement(英)