经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第99期
日期:2016-06-27 14:37

(单词翻译:单击)

The chamber looked such a bright little place to me as the sun shone in between the gay blue chintz window curtains,
阳光从蓝色鲜艳的印花布窗帘缝隙中射进来,照出了糊着墙纸的四壁和铺着地毯的地板,
showing papered walls and a carpeted floor,
与罗沃德光秃秃的楼板和迹痕斑驳的灰泥全然不同。
so unlike the bare planks and stained plaster of Lowood, that my spirits rose at the view.
相形之下,这房间显得小巧而明亮,眼前的情景使我精神为之一振。
Externals have a great effect on the young.
外在的东西对年轻人往往有很大影响。
I thought that a fairer era of life was beginning for me,
我于是想到自己生涯中更为光明的时代开始了,
one that was to have its flowers and pleasures, as well as its thorns and toils.
这个时代将会有花朵和欢愉,也会有荆棘和艰辛。
My faculties, roused by the change of scene, the new field offered to hope, seemed all astir.
由于这改变了的环境,这充满希望的新天地,我的各种官能都复活了,变得异常活跃。但它们究 竟期望着什么。
I cannot precisely define what they expected, but it was something pleasant.
我一时也说不清楚,反正是某种令人愉快的东西。

经典文学《简·爱》

Not perhaps that day or that month, but at an indefinite future period.
也许那东西不是降临在这一天,或是这个月,而是在不确定的未来。
I rose; I dressed myself with care.
我起身了,小心穿戴了一番。
Obliged to be plain — for I had no article of attire that was not made with extreme simplicity
无奈只能简朴,因为我没有一件服饰不是缝制得极其朴实的
I was still by nature solicitous to be neat.
但渴求整洁依然是我的天性。
It was not my habit to be disregardful of appearance or careless of the impression I made.
习惯上我并不无视外表,不注意自己留下的印象。
On the contrary, I ever wished to look as well as I could,
相反,我一向希望自己的外观尽可能标致些,
and to please as much as my want of beauty would permit.
并希望在我平庸的外貌所允许的情况下,得到别人的好感。
I sometimes regretted that I was not handsomer.
有时候,我为自己没有长得漂亮些而感到遗憾。
I sometimes wished to have rosy cheeks, a straight nose, and small cherry mouth.
有时巴不得自己有红润的双颊、挺直的鼻梁和樱桃般的小口。
I desired to be tall, stately, and finely developed in figure.
我希望自己修长、端庄、身材匀称。
I felt it a misfortune that I was so little, so pale, and had features so irregular and so marked.
我觉得很不幸,长得这么小,这么苍白,五官那么不端正而又那么显眼。
And why had I these aspirations and these regrets?
为什么我有这些心愿却又有这些遗憾?
It would be difficult to say.
这很难说清楚。
I could not then distinctly say it to myself, yet I had a reason, and a logical, natural reason too.
当时我自己虽然说不上来,但我有一个理由,一个合乎逻辑的、自然的理由。
However, when I had brushed my hair very smooth, and put on my black frock,
然而,当我把头发梳得溜光,穿上那件黑色的外衣 ,
which, Quakerlike as it was, at least had the merit of fitting to a nicety,
虽然看上去确实像贵格会教派的人,但至少非常合身 ,
and adjusted my clean white tucker,
换上了干净洁白的领布时,
I thought I should do respectably enough to appear before Mrs. Fairfax,
我想我可以够体面地去见费尔法克斯太太了,
and that my new pupil would not at least recoil from me with antipathy.
我的新学生至少不会因为厌恶而从我面前退缩。
Having opened my chamber window,
我打开了房间的窗户,
and seen that I left all things straight and neat on the toilet table, I ventured forth.
并注意到已把梳妆台上的东西收拾得整整齐齐,便大着胆子走出门去了。

分享到