经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第84期
日期:2016-05-13 16:21

(单词翻译:单击)

Hitherto I have recorded in detail the events of my insignificant existence.
到目前为止,我已细述了自己微不足道的身世。
To the first ten years of my life I have given almost as many chapters.
我一生的最初十年,差不多花了十章来描写。
But this is not to be a regular autobiography.
但这不是一部正正规规的自传。
I am only bound to invoke Memory where I know her responses will possess some degree of interest.
我不过是要勾起自知会使读者感兴趣的记忆。
therefore I now pass a space of eight years almost in silence.
因此我现在要几乎只字不提跳过八年的生活。
A few lines only are necessary to keep up the links of connection.
只需用几行笔墨来保持连贯性。

经典文学《简·爱》

When the typhus fever had fulfilled its mission of devastation at Lowood, it gradually disappeared from thence.
斑疹伤寒热在罗沃德完成了它摧毁件的使命以后,便渐渐地从那里销声匿迹了。
But not till its virulence and the number of its victims had drawn public attention on the school.
但是其病毒和牺牲者的数字,引起了公众对学校的注意。
Inquiry was made into the origin of the scourge, and by degrees various facts came out which excited public indignation in a high degree.
于是人们对这场灾祸的根源作了调查,而逐步披露的事实大大激怒了公众。
The unhealthy nature of the site;
学校的地点不利于健康。
The quantity and quality of the children's food;
孩子们的伙食量少质差。
The brackish, fetid water used in its preparation;
做饭用的水臭得使人恶心。
The pupils' wretched clothing and accommodations — all these things were discovered, and the discovery produced a result mortifying to Mr. Brocklehurst, but beneficial to the institution.
学生们的衣着和居住条件很糟,一切都暴露无遗,曝光的结果使布罗克赫斯特大夫失脸面,使学校大受得益。
Several wealthy and benevolent individuals in the county subscribed largely for the erection of a more convenient building in a better situation.
那里的一些富家善人慷慨解囊,在一个更好的地点建造了一座更合适的大楼。
New regulations were made; improvements in diet and clothing introduced;
校规重新作了制订,伙食和衣着有所改善。
The funds of the school were intrusted to the management of a committee.
学校的经费委托给一个委员会管理。
Mr. Brocklehurst, who, from his wealth and family connections, could not be overlooked, still retained the post of treasurer.
布罗克赫斯特先生,有钱又有势,自然不能忽视,所以仍担任司库一职。
But he was aided in the discharge of his duties by gentlemen of rather more enlarged and sympathising minds.
但在履行职务时得到了更为慷慨和富有同情心的绅士们的协助。
His office of inspector, too, was shared by those who knew how to combine reason with strictness, comfort with economy, compassion with uprightness.
他作为督导的职能,也由他人一起来承担,他们知道该怎样把理智与严格、舒适与经济、怜悯与正直结合起来。
The school, thus improved, became in time a truly useful and noble institution.
学校因此大有改进,到时候成了一个真正有用的高尚学府。
I remained an inmate of its walls, after its regeneration, for eight years.
学校获得新生之后,我在它的围墙之内生活了八年。
Six as pupil, and two as teacher, and in both capacities I bear my testimony to its value and importance.
当了六年的学生,二年的教师,在双重身份上成了它价值和重要性的见证人。
During these eight years my life was uniform, but not unhappy, because it was not inactive.
在这八年中,我的生活十分单一,但并无不快,因为日子没有成为一潭死水。
I had the means of an excellent education placed within my reach;
这里具备接受良好教育的条件。
A fondness for some of my studies, and a desire to excel in all, together with a great delight in pleasing my teachers, especially such as I loved, urged me on.
我喜爱某些课程;我希望超过所有人;我很乐意使教师尤其是我所爱的教师高兴,这一切都激励我奋进。
I availed myself fully of the advantages offered me.
我充分利用所提供的有利条件。
In time I rose to be the first girl of the first class.
终于一跃而成为第一班的第一名。
Then I was invested with the office of teacher; which I discharged with zeal for two years, but at the end of that time I altered.
后来又被授予教师职务,满腔热情地干了两年,但两年之后我改变了主意。

分享到