英语PK台(MP3+文本) 第233期:霸道总裁的公司例会
日期:2016-03-01 14:25

(单词翻译:单击)

Dialogue 1:
Jingjing: Hey, Xiao Gao, do you know what's on the agenda for this afternoon's meeting?
京晶:嘿,小高,你知道今天下午的会议要讨论什么吗?
Xiao Gao: Not entirely, but I know what's up at the top. There's been a lot ofbackroom chatter lately about a possible take-over by one of our competitors.
小高:不完全知道,但是我知道最重要的话题是什么。最近有很多谣言说公司可能要被一个竞争对手收购。
Jingjing: Oh,right,I've heard some talk about that,I thought it was mostly rumors.
京晶:哦,对了,我也听过,我还以为都是谣言呢!
Xiao Gao: No, we've been performing very poorly lately and I'm afraid it's time to face the music, unless we see a white knight, there's a good chance that we'll be bought out.
小高:不,最近公司确实状况不太好,恐怕我们不得不面对现实了。除非遇到一个大救星,不然很可能我们就会被别的公司收购了。
Jingjing: How do our job prospects look? I just signed a new 2-year contract, do you think their buy-out will affect our positions?
京晶:那我们的工作怎么办?我刚刚跟公司签了一个两年的工作合同,你觉得收购会影响我们的职位吗?
Xiao Gao: That's one thing we're going to discuss today, I know that the boss wants to rally the troops.
小高:这就是我们今天要讨论的话题之一,我觉得老板们想把大伙集中起来鼓舞士气。
Jingjing: I've got a feeling he's gonna scale back our responsibilities just in case we do lose out.
京晶:我感觉他会裁员,以防我们真的被收购。
Xiao Gao: Could be, I know the big cheese has been talking about down-sizing, if that's the case, some of us will definitely lose our jobs.
小高:很有可能。我知道公司的高层最近在商量缩减规模。如果是真的话,那我们中肯定有一些人就要丢掉工作了。
Jingjing: Yeah, I can hear the message loud and clear, shape up or ship out!
京晶:是啊,我已经很明确地感觉到了,要么好好表现,要么就得收拾东西走人。


习语短语
1. on the agenda =要讨论的话题
2. at the top =最重要的事
3. backroom chatter =背后议论,谣言
4. take-over =收购,一个公司吞并另一个公司
5. face the music =面对一个不太令人愉快的现实
6. white knight =白衣骑士,指大救星
7. rally the troops =将员工集结起来为某事鼓舞他们的士气
8. scale back =减少(员工或工作职位)
9. big cheese =公司里的高层,做重要决定的人
10. down-sizing =裁员,缩减规模
11. shape up or ship out =提高工作表现,不然就会被开除


霸道总裁的公司例会

Dialogue 2:
(Jingjing and Xiao Gao are attending a meeting. Xiao Gaois reading the part of the Chairman)(京晶和小高在参加公司会议,小高扮演总裁的角色)
Chairman: I'm calling this meeting to session. As you may have heard, we have a wolf at the door and we're here to discuss a possible buy-out by one of our competitors.
总裁:我宣布会议正式开始。你们可能已经听说了,公司正处于困境之中,所以我们今天要讨论一下:公司可能会被一个竞争对手收购。
Jingjing: Can you tell us our deadline?
京晶:您能告诉我们截止日期是什么时候吗?
Chairman: We have one month to the day, but pending a bail-out, I think it's anopen and shut case.
总裁:从今天算起一个月。不过除非有经济援助,我估计收购已经是一个既定事实了。
Jingjing: Are we looking at becoming a subsidiary or is this a whole-sale buy-out?
京晶:那我们将会成为一个子公司还是完全被吞并?
Chairman: That is up for discussion, however, I'm tabling a motion to allow us to operate under the same brand name.
总裁:这还没有决定,不过我已经提出建议,让我们仍然保留原来品牌的名字。
Jingjing: I think we are looking at tightening our belt. We've been spending too much lately.
京晶:我想我们得节省开支了,最近我们的花销太大了。
Chairman: True, we've been in the gutter for sometime now, and this buy-out can help us get back on our feet.
总裁:确实,我们的状况已经不好了一段时间了,而这个收购可以帮助我们重新恢复实力。


习语短语

1. call this meeting to session = 宣布会议正式开始
2. wolf at the door = (门外有一只狼)这里指公司正面临着困境和威胁
3. deadline = 截至日期
4. to the day = 从今天算起
5. bail-out = 经济上的援助
6. open and shut case = 既定事实,非常明确的事情
7. subsidiary = 子公司,受控于总公司
8. whole-sale = 完全的
9. table a motion = 提出建议
10. tightening our belt = 勒紧裤腰,指缩减开支
11. in the gutter = 处于不好的状况
12. get back on one's feet = 从某事中恢复过来

分享到
重点单词
  • subsidiaryadj. 辅助的,附属的 n. 子公司,附属机构
  • affectvt. 影响,作用,感动
  • scalen. 鳞,刻度,衡量,数值范围 v. 依比例决定,攀登
  • contractn. 合同,契约,婚约,合约 v. 订合同,缩短,缩小,
  • agendan. 议事日程
  • knightn. 骑士,爵士,武士 vt. 授以爵位
  • operatev. 操作,运转,经营,动手术
  • brandn. 商标,牌子,烙印,标记 vt. 打烙印,铭刻,加污
  • chattern. 饶舌,啁啾,喋喋不休地谈,(小溪的)潺潺流水声,(
  • guttern. 排水沟,槽,贫民区