经典文学《简·爱》(MP3+中英字幕) 第39期
日期:2015-12-02 15:38

(单词翻译:单击)

Led by her, I passed from compartment to compartment, from passage to passage, of a large and irregular building.
我被她领着在一个形状不规则的大楼里,走过一个又一个房间,穿过一条又一条过道。
Till, emerging from the total and somewhat dreary silence pervading that portion of the house we had traversed,
这些地方都是那么悄无声息,甚至还有几分凄切。
we came upon the hum of many voices, and presently entered a wide, long room, with great deal tables,
后来我们突然听到嗡嗡的嘈杂的人声,顷刻之间便走进了一个又阔又长的房间,两头各摆着两张大木板桌。
two at each end, on each of which burnt a pair of candles, and seated all round on benches,
每张桌子上点着两支蜡烛,围着桌子坐在长凳上。
a congregation of girls of every age, from nine or ten to twenty.
一群年龄在九岁、十岁到二十岁之间的姑娘,
Seen by the dim light of the dips, their number to me appeared countless, though not in reality exceeding eighty.
在昏暗的烛光下,我感到她们似乎多得难以计数,尽管实际上不会超过八十人。
They were uniformly dressed in brown stuff frocks of quaint fashion, and long holland pinafores.
她们清一色地穿着式样古怪的毛料上衣,系着长长的亚麻细布围涎。
It was the hour of study.
那正是学习时间。

经典文学《简·爱》

They were engaged in conning over their to-morrow's task, and the hum I had heard was the combined result of their whispered repetitions.
他们正忙于默记第二天的功课,我所听的的嗡嗡之声,正是集体小声读书所发出来的。
Miss Miller signed to me to sit on a bench near the door,
米勒小姐示意我坐在门边的长凳上,
then walking up to the top of the long room she cried out: “Monitors, collect the lesson-books and put them away!”
随后走到这个长房间的头上,大声嚷道:“班长们,收好书本,放到一边!”
Four tall girls arose from different tables, and going round, gathered the books and removed them.
四位个子很高的姑娘从各张桌子旁站起来,兜了一圈,把书收集起来放好。
Miss Miller again gave the word of command: “Monitors, fetch the supper-trays!”
米勒小姐再次发布命令:“班长们,去端晚饭盘子!”
The tall girls went out and returned presently, each bearing a tray, with portions of something,
高个子姑娘们走了出去,很快又回来了,每人端了个大盘子,
I knew not what, arranged thereon, and a pitcher of water and mug in the middle of each tray.
盘子里放着一份份不知什么东西,中间是一大罐水和一只大杯子。
The portions were handed round.
那一份份东西都分发了出去。
Those who liked took a draught of the water, the mug being common to all.
高兴喝水的人还喝了口水,那大杯子是公用的。
When it came to my turn, I drank, for I was thirsty, but did not touch the food, excitement and fatigue rendering me incapable of eating.
轮到我的时候,因为口渴,我喝了点水、但没有去碰食品,激动和疲倦已使我胃口全无。
I now saw, however, that it was a thin oaten cake shaved into fragments.
不过我倒是看清楚了,那是一个薄薄的燕麦饼,平均分成了几小块。
The meal over, prayers were read by Miss Miller, and the classes filed off, two and two, upstairs.
吃完饭,米勒小姐念了祷告,各班鱼贯而出,成双成对走上楼梯。
Overpowered by this time with weariness, I scarcely noticed what sort of a place the bedroom was,
这时我己经疲惫不堪,几乎没有注意到寝室的模样,
except that, like the schoolroom, I saw it was very long.
只看清了它像教室一样很长。
Tonight I was to be Miss Miller's bed-fellow.
今晚我同米勒小姐同睡一张床。
She helped me to undress.
她帮我脱掉衣服。
When laid down I glanced at the long rows of beds, each of which was quickly filled with two occupants.
我躺下时,我瞥了一眼一长排一长排床,每张床很快睡好了两个人。
In ten minutes the single light was extinguished, and amidst silence and complete darkness I fell asleep.
十分钟后那仅有的灯光也熄灭了,在寂静无声与一片漆黑中,我沉沉睡去。

分享到
重点单词
  • dimadj. 暗淡的,模糊的,笨的 v. 使暗淡,使失去光泽
  • silencen. 沉默,寂静 vt. 使安静,使沉默
  • pitchern. 水罐,[棒球]投手,[植]瓶状叶
  • congregationn. 集合,会合
  • minutesn. 会议记录,(复数)分钟
  • quaintadj. 古雅的,离奇有趣的,奇怪的
  • millern. 磨坊主,铣床(工)
  • humn. 嗡嗡声,哼声,杂声 vi. 发低哼声,哼(曲子),
  • portionn. 部分,份,命运,分担的责任
  • engagedadj. 忙碌的,使用中的,订婚了的