TED演讲(视频+MP3+双语字幕):石油真正的代价(3)
日期:2015-11-04 17:52

(单词翻译:单击)

听力文本

And I think particularly now,
我认为尤其是目前,
as we see ourselves in a time of environmental crisis,
我们明白人类身处环境危机时代,
we can learn so much from these people who have lived so sustainably in this ecosystem for over 10,000 years.
我们可从这些族群身上学到许多东西他们在这片生态系统中生活了1万多年。
In the heart of this ecosystem is the very antithesis of all of these values that we've been talking about,
这片生态系统蕴含的核心价值与我们目前追求的目标大相径庭,
and I think these are some of the core values that make us proud to be Canadians.
我认为其中某些核心价值令身为加拿大人的我们引以为傲。
This is the Alberta tar sands,
这是阿尔伯塔省油砂矿,
the largest oil reserves on the planet outside of Saudi Arabia.
它是世上石油蕴藏量最丰富的地区,除了沙特阿拉伯之外。


Trapped underneath the boreal forest and wetlands of northern Alberta are these vast reserves of this sticky, tar-like bitumen.
在北方森林及北阿尔伯塔省湿地下方蕴藏着大量粘稠、似焦油的沥青。
And the mining and the exploitation of that is creating devastation on a scale that the planet has never seen before.
挖掘及开采这些矿脉的举动对地球造成史无前例的破坏。
I want to try to convey some sort of a sense of the size of this.
我试着说明这些破坏的规模。
If you look at that truck there,
以图中的卡车为例,
it is the largest truck of its kind of the planet.
它是同类卡车中最大的一种。
It is a 400-ton-capacity dump truck and its dimensions are 45 feet long by 35 feet wide and 25 feet high.
承载量达400吨的砂石车规格为45英呎长,35英呎宽、25英呎高。
If I stand beside that truck,
如果站在卡车旁,
my head comes to around the bottom of the yellow part of that hubcap.
我的头部大约只到黄色轮框盖底部。
Within the dimensions of that truck,
在这辆卡车体积范围内,
you could build a 3,000-square-foot two-story home quite easily. I did the math.
你可轻易建造一栋 面积3000平方英呎、两层楼高的房子,我曾经计算过。
So instead of thinking of that as a truck,
因此,与其将它视为一辆卡车,
think of that as a 3,000-square-foot home.
不如将它视为一栋 面积3000平方英呎的房子。
That's not a bad size home.
一栋不小的房子。
And line those trucks/homes back and forth across there from the bottom all the way to the top.
这些卡车在这片区域中来回奔驰从底部直到顶端。
And then think of how large that very small section of one mine is.
想象一下这片区域的大小,这仅是矿场的一小部分。
Now, you can apply that same kind of thinking here as well.
现在,你可将同样想法运用到这片区域。

演讲介绍

环境遭受破坏的真实面貌为何?在TEDxVictoria中,摄影师Garth Lenz分享了一些令人震惊的照片-包括阿拉伯塔省油砂礦开采计划,及美丽、重要且饱受威胁生态系统。

分享到
重点单词
  • vastadj. 巨大的,广阔的 n. 浩瀚的太空
  • conveyvt. 传达,表达,运输,转移 vt. [律]让与
  • coren. 果心,核心,要点 vt. 挖去果核
  • ecosystemn. 生态系统
  • antithesisn. 对照,正相反,对比法
  • scalen. 鳞,刻度,衡量,数值范围 v. 依比例决定,攀登
  • exploitationn. 开发,开采,利用
  • stickyadj. 粘的,闷热的,困难的,令人不满意的
  • planetn. 行星