百度CEO李彦宏演讲(MP3+中英字幕) 第9期:对百度影响深远的早期重大决策(2)
日期:2015-03-27 09:11

(单词翻译:单击)

百度CEO李彦宏演讲

The second critical decision is during the summer of 2001.
第二个重要决定发生于2001年夏天
Internet industry was in a very difficult time at that time,
当时互联网行业正处于困境
at that period, and we gradually realized that this company cannot really
如果坚持做后台搜索技术提供商
survive if we stick with the backend technology providers thing.
这个公司将无法生存
So I made the decision to switch gear and
所以我决定将公司转型
become a consumer-oriented search site.
成为一家客户导向型的搜索网站
The risk for that is you basically start to compete
这样做的风险是
with every single one of your customers.
原来的客户都成了竞争对手
They pay you money, we had a lot of very famous,
他们付你钱,那时我们有许多有名的
very prominent customers, but all of a sudden,
重量级的客户,但突然间
we started to compete with every one of them. It's quite risky.
客户变成了对手,这么做风险很大
We had a lot of arguments within the management,
当时在管理层内发生了许多争论
within the board, and among the investors,
在董事会以及投资方方面也是如此
and I finally decided that's the way to go.
但我决心要走这条路
Because if we don't do that,
如果不这样做
a year from now I don't see the company doubles in revenue
一年之后,公司的营业额就不能翻一番
and I don't really see the future of this company.
那么公司的未来也变得迷茫
So we made that decision and moved on.
于是我们做出决定并开始行动
This decision is also hard to make because
之所以这是一个困难的决定还因为
when you are a backend technology provider,
当作为后台技术提供商时
it's like selling a piece of commodity.
就像出售一件商品似的
You just need to be as good as everyone else on the market.
只需做得跟其他供应商一样好即可
When you decide to become a front-end consumer-oriented service,
当作为前端客户导向型的服务提供商时
you really need to be better than your competition.
就需要做得比竞争者更好
Not just a little bit better,
不仅仅是好一点儿
but significantly better than your competition,
而是好一大截儿
because you are a latecomer.
因为你是新来的
There are already a number of Chinese search services on the market.
当时的市场上已有许多中文搜索服务
And in order to stand out,
想要脱颖而出
you really need to come up with a much better technology,
就需要研发出更好的技术
a much better product, and much better user experiences.
更好的产品 更好的用户体验
So that's the risk I took. But I'm really glad I took that risk.
这就是我所承担的风险 我很高兴当时冒了这个险
Now Baidu has become one of the best-known Chinese
正因为这个决定 百度已成为
brands in the world because of that decision.
世界知名的中国品牌之一
The third decision I made, I actually also mentioned that,
第三个决定,我之前也提到过
was Project Blitzen.
就是 "Blitzen" 项目
Shortly after we decide to become a consumer brand,
公司转型后不久
I realized that our technology was not as good.
我意识到我们的技术没有那么好
So I went back to Engineering and told them,
于是我跟工程师团队说到
"OK, guys, we need to work harder. And I'm not under CEO.
大家还要加把劲
Don't consider me as CEO. Consider me as your project manager.
不要把我当成CEO 就当做是一个项目经理
You guys are engineers. You are used to come to the office
作为工程师,你们习惯了
10 am in the morning. No. Starting from today,
早上十点到办公室,但是从明天开始
you need to come 9 am in the morning and have a meeting with me."
早上九点你们就得到公司,然后开会
And I'm holding meetings twice a day with the engineers and pushing
类似的会议一天两次
them to move faster and come up with better quality search services.
督促他们加快开发进度,开发出更高质量的搜索引擎
I did that for about 10 months of period,
这样做了有10个月之久
and that resulted it being a better or
结果就是
the best Chinese search technology.
百度拥有了更好或者是最好的中文搜索技术
So I think that's the three very critical decisions
以上三点就是我在百度早期
I made during the early days of Baidu.
作出的重要决定

分享到