TED演讲(MP3+双语字幕) 第34期:老兵为何恋战(3)
日期:2014-11-13 15:28

(单词翻译:单击)

视频文本

Young men will go to great lengths to have that experience.
年轻人对这种刺激的感受更加深刻。
It's wired into us.
这种感觉输入到我们体内。
It's hormonally supported.
伴随着激素的作用。
The mortality rate for young men in society,is six times what it is for young women,from violence and from accidents, just the stupid stuff that young men do:
社会上,年轻男性的死亡率是女性的6倍。不管是因为暴力,还是意外。反正就是年轻人喜欢干的那些蠢事。
jumping off of things they shouldn't jump off of,
从不该跳的地方跳了下去。
lighting things on fire they shouldn't light on fire, I mean, you know what I'm talking about.
把不该点的东西点着了。总之你懂得。
They die at six times the rate,that young women do.
年轻男性的死亡率6倍于年轻女性。
Statistically, you are safer as a teenage boy, you would be safer in the fire department,or the police department in most American cities,
从数字上来说,一个小伙子。如果呆在美国城市里的消防队或者警察局。
than just walking around the streets of your hometown,looking for something to do, statistically.
会比在老家的街上闲逛。找事情干,要安全得多。这仅仅是从数字的角度看。
You can imagine how that plays out in combat.
你可以想象一下如果是在战争中这是不是也是一样。
At Restrepo, every guy up there was almost killed, including me,
在雷斯特雷波,几乎每个人都命悬一线。包括我在内。
including my good friend Tim Hetherington, who was later killed in Libya.
包括我的好朋友蒂姆·赫瑟林顿。他后来在利比亚牺牲了。
There were guys walking around,with bullet holes in their uniforms, rounds that had cut through the fabric,and didn't touch their bodies.
那里的士兵。穿着被子弹打穿的制服。子弹打穿了布料没碰到他们的身体。
I was leaning against some sandbags one morning, not much going on, sort of spacing out, and some sand was kicked into the side of, sort of hit the side of my face.
一天早上,我靠着沙袋站在那儿没事可干,正想什么想得出神。这时一些沙子飞起打在了我的侧脸上。
Something hit the side of my face, and I didn't know what it was.
我感觉到有东西打在我脸上,但是不知道是什么。
You have to understand about bullets,that they go a lot faster than sound, so if someone shoots at you,from a few hundred meters,
你应该知道子弹这玩意儿它飞起来比声音还要快。如果有人朝你开枪射程也就几百米的话。
the bullet goes by you, or hits you obviously, half a second or so before the sound catches up to it.
子弹或者与你擦肩而过,或者击中你而枪声半秒之后才会传来。
So I had some sand sprayed in the side of my face.
所以当我感到有沙子打到我的侧脸上时。
Half a second later, I heard dut-dut-dut-dut-duh.
半秒之后,我听到了突突突突的枪声。
It was machine gun fire.
这是机关枪的声音。
It was the first round, the first burst,of an hour-long firefight.
这是第一轮袭击。枪战维持了一个小时之久。
What had happened was the bullet hit, a bullet hit three or four inches from the side of my head.
刚开始我感觉到的飞来的沙子应该是子弹溅起的。这颗子弹隔着三四英尺从我脑袋边飞过。
Imagine, just think about it, because I certainly did, think about the angle of deviation that saved my life.
想象一下,其实我后来也的确想了,就是这点偏差救了我一命。
At 400 meters, it missed me by three inches.
400米开外射来的子弹,3英尺的偏差,没有击中我。
Just think about the math on that.
想想这些数字吧。
Every guy up there,
那里的每个士兵。
had some experience like that,
都曾有过这样的经历。
at least once, if not many times.
如果不是几次的话那至少也有一次。
The boys are up there for a year.
这些年轻人在那儿待了一年之后。
They got back.
然后回家。
Some of them got out of the Army,and had tremendous psychological problems when they got home.
一些人复员之后回到家时。心理上还有严重的问题。
Some of them stayed in the Army,and were more or less okay, psychologically.
一些人继续留在军队。心理状况稍微好些。
I was particularly close to a guy named Brendan O'Byrne.
我和一个叫布伦丹·欧博恩的小伙子走得很近。
I'm still very good friends with him.
我们现在也还是好朋友。
He came back to the States. He got out of the Army.
他回到美国之后离开了部队。
I had a dinner party one night.
一次,我举办了个晚宴。
I invited him,
邀请了他。
and he started talking with a woman, one of my friends, and she knew how bad it had been out there, and she said, "Brendan,
在晚宴上他和一位女士交谈。这位女士也是我的朋友。她知道战地生活的险恶。她说:布伦丹。
is there anything at all that you miss about being out in Afghanistan, about the war?
在阿富汗打仗有没有什么让你怀恋的?

视频及简介

视频简介:

老百姓不会怀念战争,而士兵却会。记者Sebastian Junger 分享了他在雷斯特雷波(阿富汗科伦加尔山谷哨站,曾爆发激烈的战争)与美国士兵相处的经历。他认为战争“改变了人们的想法”,并解释了战争是如何在士兵中间建立起强烈的相互依存感。那说到底,难道是“战争的对立面”让士兵们感到怀念吗?


分享到
重点单词
  • psychologicaladj. 心理(学)的
  • deviationn. 偏差数,偏离,出轨,背盟
  • psychologicallyadv. 心理上地;心理学地
  • burstn. 破裂,阵,爆发 v. 爆裂,迸发
  • combatn. 争斗,战斗 vt. 打斗 vi. 战斗,与 ...
  • violencen. 暴力,猛烈,强暴,暴行
  • understandvt. 理解,懂,听说,获悉,将 ... 理解为,认为
  • mortalityn. 必死的命运,死亡数目,死亡率
  • fabricn. 织物,结构,构造 vt. 构筑